Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Halfway through the season, did we spend the Coca Cola money wisely?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
mcshane in the 79th said:
Did McGoo have an interest in CKR before we won the money?

YES

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Bluejuice said:
OK, sub question:

Were Coca-Cola stingy with the prize money?

We're talking about one of the wealthiest organisations on the planet. Surely a cool million would have been more worthwhile?

If Leeds or Reading had won it you have to think what would they have bought with it? £250k doesn't buy you a Dan Harding or a Leroy Lita does it?

Whilst to us and most of the clubs below us it was a very welcome cash windfall. In our situation particularly the fact that it was to all be spent in the transfer market meant it wasn't going to get swallowed up with the seemingly endless Falmer battle fund. But there are a lot of teams in the Championship to whom one £250k player wouldn't make too much difference. Although it did buy Darren Currie for Ipswich, which was a great buy

£1 million although very handy if we won it, would be a bit too much just to give a club.

Last edited:

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
I think what people seem to forget is that CKR had only made about 8 or so full league appearences before we signed him. He scored a couple of very good goals for Bury which made a few clubs, sit up and take notice.

This in a lot of ways is the guys 1st full season in professional football and he has just moved up two leagues as well.

When you take that into account, I think we have a very, very good player on our hands. He clearly has a lot to learn in the game as well as some developing to do physically.

He will have bad days, such as the Coventry game as well as good one's like Hull. He has already come up with a few real top quality goals, mostly away and has the potential to be a Premiership player in my opinion.

We could've bought a older championship striker in on a free, paid the £4-5k a week for a season and maybe got enough extra goals to stay up. But what then? We couldn't have afforded to have paid them the following season, we would've been back to square one.

This way, we could have another Zamora style fee in a couple of seasons which might give us the momentum along with Falmer to make a real push towards the play offs. A £2-3m fee in a couple of seasons or nothing with the older player? £3m at this level would allow you to bring in four or five seasoned performers alongside some of our better youngsters. It's a pretty easy decision with our own money let alone someone elses...

If he doesn't develop like we hope we haven't lost a great deal and we have had a competent player for 3 years and
we would prbably still get some of our investment back.

For me CKR has been a plus thus far into the season.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Wasnt it plastic who told us that CKR would be playing every game this season and knocking in 20 goals ??

Just shows you what that CLOWN knows about football kids.

Funnily enough I was at the same pre season friendlies and although the kid looks good (and still does) the situation that we are in is not likely to be helping his confidence, or for that matter the service he gets turn him into a regular goalscorer.

That said, he is still the most naturally gifted player at the club, and will be a big star somewhere, someday, just not yet.

larus

I think he's improved over the last couple of months. He's holding the ball up better and I like his overall game and desire to win.

Good investment I think.

If in time it doesn't work out and he fails, then I won't start saying that it was a bad use of he money.

He is a good player already, but lacks experience at present. THis will come with time, and I'm sure he'll have a stronger second half of the season compared to the first.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Could we sell him for 250k+ ? Certainly could in my opinion so for that reason we used the money wisely. The most natural talent this club has had in years.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Personally, I think Coke knew what they where doing with this promotion. It was 250k precisely because they only wanted the winner to buy an unknown player from the lower leagues who could become big. I mean if CKR becomes a Bobby then Coke are gonna get some great marketing out of him for years to come.

In addition I don't think we "won" the competition I think they delibrately chose us. If it had gone to Leeds, Sheffield United, Reading etc. it would have had a negative impact on Coke.

We were perfect because we're a big side that's been through a lot and is currently punching above its weight. Everyone knows that once we get Falmer sorted out, some money in the bank, we'll be at the top end of the CCC challenging for the Prem.

Imagine the story of how the Coca-Cola kid helped Brighton return to the top flight - it's a marketing man's dream.

We got dead lucky "winning" that money but we definitely deserve some good fortune so big up the Coke!

(BTW - there ain't a chance we're going to "win" it two years in a row)

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Exmouth Seagull said:
Yes. When he goes (hopefully not soon) I predict a value well in excess of 250K.

Is there a sell on clause? Do we have to pay back any of the 250K if it is within a certain time period etc. ?

Yes they have a sell-on clause (may even be 50%).

Dont understand the other question

CKR is the man

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
CKR has already got the club three points with his goals this season.
About the same as Leon earned us.

One for the future?
He's doing ok now by my book. :thumbsup:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Yorkie said:
CKR has already got the club three points with his goals this season.
About the same as Leon earned us.

One for the future?
He's doing ok now by my book. :thumbsup:

So you've got him in the drawer of your bedside table alongside your bible?

Rougvie said:
Wasnt it plastic who told us that CKR would be playing every game this season and knocking in 20 goals ??

Nope, I actually agreed with you that we had to be cautious in our expectations with him. Find the thread and bounce it if you like.

But make up stuff if you like too. It's funny that you are still morose and sore because I disagreed with your utterly CLOWNISH comments yesterday that somehow Dennis Wise was a big miss for us.

:wave:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
CKR has done as much as I would have expected of an 18 year old with 6 league starts, or whatever number it is, to his name.

He is definitely one for the future who looks better in each game as he gets fitter and stronger and learns more.

He will become a big player for us.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think he's a definite plus for us. If he had stayed at Bury and scored a hatful of spectacular goals for them this season by the end of the season he would have been well out of our price range and on his way to a top championship club.

By getting him early in his career we have signed a player that is doing o.k now and will only get better.

The goals he has scored are a clear indication to me that he has a lot to offer. Of our two teenage 'wonder' strikers he seems to me to be the one who has the most potential and who shows the most signs of fulfilling it.

A good investment.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I wish CKR was as good as he thinks he is!!!

Although I think he could be a good player!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We did indeed. One day we'll sell him for a nice profit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here