Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Halfway through the season, did we spend the Coca Cola money wisely?

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
bailey said:
Personally, I think Coke knew what they where doing with this promotion. It was 250k precisely because they only wanted the winner to buy an unknown player from the lower leagues who could become big. I mean if CKR becomes a Bobby then Coke are gonna get some great marketing out of him for years to come.

In addition I don't think we "won" the competition I think they delibrately chose us. If it had gone to Leeds, Sheffield United, Reading etc. it would have had a negative impact on Coke.

We were perfect because we're a big side that's been through a lot and is currently punching above its weight. Everyone knows that once we get Falmer sorted out, some money in the bank, we'll be at the top end of the CCC challenging for the Prem.

Imagine the story of how the Coca-Cola kid helped Brighton return to the top flight - it's a marketing man's dream.

We got dead lucky "winning" that money but we definitely deserve some good fortune so big up the Coke!

(BTW - there ain't a chance we're going to "win" it two years in a row)

We were very close to not winning the competion if Mr Berry hadn't picked up the phone then when he did, the prize was going to the second prize winner FACT. I know this as was speaking to the people that done the draw last week, and it was an independent company that made the draw on Cokes behalf, so no fix.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
555kaz said:
We were very close to not winning the competion if Mr Berry hadn't picked up the phone then when he did, the prize was going to the second prize winner FACT. I know this as was speaking to the people that done the draw last week, and it was an independent company that made the draw on Cokes behalf, so no fix.

Maybe not a fix, but no way should winning the prize rely on the winner having to pick up the phone when Coke come calling. They could use the email provided on the entry to inform the winner. FACT.

As to the the prize money, I think it was spent fairly wisely, especially if CKR was one of the manager's traget anyway. He may well turn out to be an asset for the future if he sorts out how to do an aerial challenge i.e. jump off the ground instead of backing into the defender and elbowing him. He does seem fairly decent on the ground and less shot-shy than most of the other strikers. Have to say tho, that I'd rather we'd blown all the money on a short-term contract for a recognised goal-scorer, just to get us through this season. Plenty of one's for the future already coming through the youth ranks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here