Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half & half scarves. A discussion.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
What annoys me about this shite is it's like school ground bullying, how dare someone where something others don't see as cool. Everyone has to be the same and wear exactly the same things!! What a load of SHITE. People can buy and wear whatever the f*** they want without having to feel embarrassed.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I have no idea what that's got to do with it.

The thread was opened with this quote:
"If you are over ten years old and you buy one, you're embarrassing yourself".

I suggested buying it as a token of the game was the same as buying a program as a token. I never mentioned wearing it.

Right, but in the world of football, a scarf is traditionally WORN (or held) to show your allegiance to your club.

If you publically wear a half and half scarf you are - putting it politely - sending out mixed messages.

I don't think anyone has a problem if you buy one and hide it in a drawer - BUT YOUR GRANDCHILDREN MAY JUDGE YOU. :)

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Thats OK then - the little one is keen on this idea and has plans for a cut out cup larger than herself. Fear not, it will look NOTHING like the actual cup.

Wait 'til we get into the Champions League, the trophy is massive so you will need a huge roll of aluminium foil - on a par with wrapping the Christmas turkey! :smile:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
just don't see the point in them.personally I wouldn't be seen dead wearing one.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What annoys me about this shite is it's like school ground bullying, how dare someone where something others don't see as cool. Everyone has to be the same and wear exactly the same things!! What a load of SHITE. People can buy and wear whatever the f*** they want without having to feel embarrassed.

That's why the thread is entitled "a discussion". You think they're OK. I think they're shit. We both have opinions. I think that is the purpose of this board.

School bullying, my arse, it's not like I'm threatening to bogwash the next person I see wearing one.

i think people are being a tad pretentous about this. we arent the biggest club in the world and there not much wrong with wanting to celebrate special events. dont like them, dont buy them, but dont see the need to look down on those that do, its all a bit "im a superfan".

Too right. Everyone has a right to buy something such as a half & half scarf if they feel the occasion is worthy of such an item whether it be for sentimental values or otherwise.

FWIW I have two half & half scarves from the Villa game & Liverpool FA Cup games. As a supporter who had grown up as an Albion fan in the Withdean era, I had little recollection of us playing any of the big teams in the Premier League. Therefore when we drew Villa it was my first opportunity to travel to what I considered one of the big teams (in terms of history) in the tournament that I absolutely love and be able to appreciate the occasion in its entirety! Therefore a half & half scarf was something I considered as a souvenir of what was a great day at Villa Park (taking the result out of the equation).

Same goes for Liverpool, which I considered to be a great experience (ignoring the scoreline of course) because of the history of Anfield and Liverpool. Therefore on that occasion I got a scarf as a memory of what was a fantastic experience at one of the worlds most famous grounds-an experience that was wholly new to me because of being part of the generation of fans that hasn't been lucky and privileged to have seen us compete against these sort of teams on a regular basis.

Does this make me plastic and less of a fan? Of course not. I was born an Albion fan, my dad is an Albion fan, and despite all the crap I got from kids at school who were plastic premier league fans I am still Albion and proud of it! I might not be a STH (due to not being able to afford it in my current situation) but I do my best to see Albion as often as possible.

Having said all that, whilst I have no issue with the concept of half & half scarves, for sake of a balanced viewpoint, they aren't perfect. As has been said, having them for games against some teams (eg. Stoke) is pushing the boat a bit imo. Also I do think the scarves with the club kit on the end always have and always will look pretty naff as opposed to those with the club crest on.

That's my view on it all. At the end of the day for many fans like myself they're a great memory of games against the biggest teams in the best competition. For me-having seen FA Cup games from the preliminary round with Worthing, to the 5th proper with Albion-it is the best cup competition in the world and every round is as important and special as the next.

I understand the views many have on this subject, however I don't see why some (not all-some) have such an issue with them to the point of throwing insults at those who do chose to buy one. At the end of the day, there are bigger problems in the world and football than half and half scarves.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You just know that somewhere in a run down workshop with no windows in a back street of Hackney, some bloke is sat there earning £6.28 an hour running up Norwich City-Luton Town scarves as we speak :angry:

Edna you should know better, Hackney & £6.28 an hour !!

half & half scarves are JCL & Kids only.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
That's why the thread is entitled "a discussion". You think they're OK. I think they're shit. We both have opinions. I think that is the purpose of this board.

School bullying, my arse, it's not like I'm threatening to bogwash the next person I see wearing one.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offence (didn't even notice who started the thread). I'm not a fan of half&half scarves either. My opinion is the same as yours in that respect. I just think some of the comments made are pretty unnecessary. I wasn't trying to suggest you were bullying anyone, it was just a comparison, and I guess a poor one, to everyone having to conform to the 'cool' stuff to be seen in at that age.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Whilst were on the subject of tinpot things, Richard Renyolds next week will probably be arselicking Arsenal to the max - its already borderline embarassing whenever were on TV and he goes on and on about being on Sky/ITV - makes us look tinpot.

He's a Spurs fan. Can't see that happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here