Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half a point for a clean sheet?

Sep 1, 2010
Discussing this with a few people recently, do you think teams should get half a point for a clean sheet if they win a game(Not for a 0-0 draw) to reward good defending as well as scoring

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
i think if this came in, football could become very boring, with both teams being very very deffensive, trying to get that extra half point.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
No way. High scoring should be rewarded rather than keeping clean sheets. Extra points for scoring 4 or more would make teams attack, attack, attack.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I've heard contrary suggestions that teams should get no points for a 0-0, to encourage more attacking. I don't think that should happen but I don't think encouraging ultra-defensiveness is a good idea either.

Sep 1, 2010
I've heard contrary suggestions that teams should get no points for a 0-0, to encourage more attacking. I don't think that should happen but I don't think encouraging ultra-defensiveness is a good idea either.

This was also suggested in the discussion.

TCB: you may well be right(Shocker) on this one

Dalef65

Oct 12, 2010
Discussing this with a few people recently, do you think teams should get half a point for a clean sheet if they win a game(Not for a 0-0 draw) to reward good defending as well as scoring
NO
This would simply reward ultra defensive teams who grind out a lot of 1-0 wins.......
It would be totally counter productive and it would not have the effect that (I assume) you want it to have

Sep 1, 2010
NO
This would simply reward ultra defensive teams who grind out a lot of 1-0 wins.......
It would be totally counter productive and it would not have the effect that (I assume) you want it to have

I was not suggesting it, it just came up as a discussion amongst a few of us and wanted to know other people's views on it. I was not in favour of it but was in favour of teams not getting any points for a 0-0

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I was not suggesting it, it just came up as a discussion amongst a few of us and wanted to know other people's views on it. I was not in favour of it but was in favour of teams not getting any points for a 0-0

So you're saying Blackpool should get no points for getting a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I disagree with the implication from the premise: that the defence currently go unrewarded.

The 3 points is for the team that wins. You win by conceding fewer than you score and scoring more than you concede. To offer a reward for the defence for keeping a clean sheet ignores how well the forwards perform, ignores that it may be two defenders who score the goals in a 2-1 win, goal line clearances by midfield/forwards) and disproportionately rewards the defence - when al you have to do as a defender is concede fewer than your team scores, conceding 0 may be more than is necessary (i.e. if you score 3 you can afford to concede 2) and you get an extra half point. If your team concedes zero then if your forwards score more than 1 they have done more than enough and deserve rewarding.

So allow me to propose a new view of the current system:

If you lose, the team gets 0pts, the defence failed to concede fewer than the team scored 0pts, the forwards failed to score more than the team concede 0pts = 0pts

If you draw, the team gets 0.5pts, the defence gets 0.25pts for not conceding more than they score, the forwards get 0.25pts for not failing to score fewer than they concede = 1pts

If you win, the team gets 1pt, the defence gets 1pt for conceding fewer than hey score and the forwards get one point for scoring more than they concede = 3pts.

That way the defence and forwards each get recognition for their role in the results, and we don't have to worry about changing the scoring system based around what some people consider good football.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
As equal as getting no points for 0-0 at Wigan, yes. I think it would encourage teams to play less defensive away from home

It seems like your having two arguments. On one hand, you want no points for a 0-0 draw and on the other you want half a point for a clean sheet? Do you not think the current system works quite well as it is? Is there a major problem with say Brighton winning 4-0 away at Charton? Is it not the case that is quite right for a worse team to try and scrape a 0-0 against a much better side? One pont is better than none.

Sep 1, 2010
It seems like your having two arguments. On one hand, you want no points for a 0-0 draw and on the other you want half a point for a clean sheet? Do you not think the current system works quite well as it is? Is there a major problem with say Brighton winning 4-0 away at Charton? Is it not the case that is quite right for a worse team to try and scrape a 0-0 against a much better side? One pont is better than none.

As i say, i was not in favour in this discussion with regards to the half point, Only the point about no points for a 0-0. It's no biggie, i just wanted to know what other people thought.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How about 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw and 0 points if you lose?

great idea.

the OP suggestion goes directly against the reasoning behinde 3 points for a win, ie to promote attacking game. suggestion above for 1/2 point for score more than 4 or somthing is a much better idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here