Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus's name - pronounciation shocker

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Andy Jacobs has just been saying on talkSPORT that he was on holiday in Uruguay last week and mentioned Gus to his hotel receptionists.

Initially no one had a clue who he meant from our usual pronounced efforts of Gus 'Poy-ay' or Gus 'Poy-ette', and in fact the sound should be some combination of 'sh' and 'j', Gus 'Posh-jette'. Or something. Can't see it catching on, to be fair.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
On Radio Sussex on Saturday they confirmed that is is pronounced Poy-ette. But of course that might be the way Gus has chosen for it to be pronounced in an anglicised way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People who call him PoYAY are idiots. Up there with the ones who STILL refer to Fran 'Sandanza' or Nicky 'Foster'.

I mean how hard is it to learn a surname ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Or Chris Woods (as in our striker not the ex England G/K)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Liam Birdcott is the current fave of mine :lolol:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I'm sure there was an interview with Gus on TV recently, or maybe when he was on MOTD2 and this came up. The correct Uruguayan pronounciation is 'Poosh-ette' apparently.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I'm sure there was an interview with Gus on TV recently, or maybe when he was on MOTD2 and this came up. The correct Uruguayan pronounciation is 'Poosh-ette' apparently.

Yes, I think it was MOTD2 - there was a thread about it I seem to remember

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep - correct pronunciation is to ryhme with COURGETTE.

Although 'Poy-yet' seems to be close enough. Poy-yay is totally wrong.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
And when we are cracking open the Moet & Chandon at the end of the season, can we please not mispronounce it ' Mo Ay' .

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
the vast majority of uruguayans are from european descent, mainly spanish and italian, as such their version of spanish features some italian influence.

syaing that, i have never heard a soft 'j' sound like in the supposed poo-jet pronounciation in any spanish or italina words.

can somebody give me some examples, i'm on a linguistic merry-go-round here.

i quite fancy a big banner actually for falmer "IT'S PRONOUNCED POO-JET, ALRIGHT!"

And when we are cracking open the Moet & Chandon at the end of the season, can we please not mispronounce it ' Mo Ay' .

We don't need any of that continanatal mullarkey.

There are excellent SUSSEX sparking wines

Blanc_de_Blanc_H600_Trans.png
Bolney
Bart’s Bubbly Rosé Sparkling
Vintage traditional method quality sparkling wine. A stunning Rosé with a full and creamy mousse and blackberry undertones. An international award winner, made from Pinot Noir grapes.

Blanc de Blanc White Sparkling
Vintage traditional method quality sparkling wine, smooth and full bodied with wonderful yeasty undertones. The wine also has a clean refreshing quality. Made from Chardonnay grapes.

Bolney Bubbly White Sparkling
Vintage traditional method quality sparkling wine with creamy, bready aromas and hints of elderflower fruitiness. Made from Muller Thurgau and Chardonnay grapes.

Sirius Rosé Sparkling
Vintage traditional method quality sparkling wine with a wonderful strawberries and cream character, along with hints of vanilla and loganberries. Made from Seyval Blanc and Merlot grapes.

or Ridgeview
bottle_2007_cavendish.gif

There is no dispute that in Champagne they produce the quintessential sparkling wine. Just a little further North are the South Downs of Sussex, the geological formation of which continues through the east of France down to Champagne.
Climate
The RidgeView Estate is placed on a low ridge of paludina limestone, on top of a sandstone bed. Sloping southwards towards the Downs and just seven miles from the sea, the winters are mild. The high hills to the south create a rain shadow keeping the micro climate comparatively dry and positively hot in the summer.

Winery
A purpose built winery of 8,600 sq.ft. was built. An underground cellar can store just short of 1/4 million bottles in perfect conditions to mature the wine and perfect fine “prise de mousse”.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
the vast majority of uruguayans are from european descent, mainly spanish and italian, as such their version of spanish features some italian influence.

syaing that, i have never heard a soft 'j' sound like in the supposed poo-jet pronounciation in any spanish or italina words.

can somebody give me some examples, i'm on a linguistic merry-go-round here.

i quite fancy a big banner actually for falmer "IT'S PRONOUNCED POO-JET, ALRIGHT!"

I got a fairly similar reaction last year in Uruguay, but the issue is that South American Spanish is a bit different to what is spoken in Spain, where it is Castillian...pronounced Cah-tay-djah-noh...or something like that.

I am trying to think of a good example, but in Argentina (next door to Uruguay) they pronounce a "Y" or "ll" like the sound "shhh"...hence chicken which is Pollo is pronounced "Posho" not "Poyo"...does that help at all?

Hence, Poyet could be pronounced "poh-shay"

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yep - correct pronunciation is to ryhme with COURGETTE.

Yes, that's it. Excellent use of the popular vegetable to provide the right sound. Just don't call him Gus Zucchini. That would be all wrong.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I'm a poyay but I don't know it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here