Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus's name - pronounciation shocker

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yep - correct pronunciation is to ryhme with COURGETTE.

Although 'Poy-yet' seems to be close enough. Poy-yay is totally wrong.

Posh Spice is a slapper,
She has a giant courgette,
and when she shuts her eyes,
she dreams its our man Poyet.

Last edited:

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
We don't need any of that continanatal mullarkey.

There are excellent SUSSEX sparking wines

Blanc_de_Blanc_H600_Trans.png
Bolney
Bart’s Bubbly Rosé Sparkling
Vintage traditional method quality sparkling wine. A stunning Rosé with a full and creamy mousse and blackberry undertones. An international award winner, made from Pinot Noir grapes.

Blanc de Blanc White Sparkling
Vintage traditional method quality sparkling wine, smooth and full bodied with wonderful yeasty undertones. The wine also has a clean refreshing quality. Made from Chardonnay grapes.

Bolney Bubbly White Sparkling
Vintage traditional method quality sparkling wine with creamy, bready aromas and hints of elderflower fruitiness. Made from Muller Thurgau and Chardonnay grapes.

Sirius Rosé Sparkling
Vintage traditional method quality sparkling wine with a wonderful strawberries and cream character, along with hints of vanilla and loganberries. Made from Seyval Blanc and Merlot grapes.

or Ridgeview
bottle_2007_cavendish.gif

There is no dispute that in Champagne they produce the quintessential sparkling wine. Just a little further North are the South Downs of Sussex, the geological formation of which continues through the east of France down to Champagne.
Climate
The RidgeView Estate is placed on a low ridge of paludina limestone, on top of a sandstone bed. Sloping southwards towards the Downs and just seven miles from the sea, the winters are mild. The high hills to the south create a rain shadow keeping the micro climate comparatively dry and positively hot in the summer.

Winery
A purpose built winery of 8,600 sq.ft. was built. An underground cellar can store just short of 1/4 million bottles in perfect conditions to mature the wine and perfect fine “prise de mousse”.

Have you ever tried the Bolney Wines, i live in the village and have never even thought about drinking them but thought that if they are recommended then i may give them a try!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Posh Spice is a slapper,
She has a giant courgette,
she dreams its our man Poyet.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it feels like you're squashing too many syllables in the even lines.

Posh Spice is a slapper,
She has a big courgette,
she dreams it's Gus Poyet.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well done Acker.... its getting there.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Posh spice is a slapper,
she's up the duff by Becks,
because of the bump around the front
she can only do anal sex!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
You're right but I rarely have the balls to pronounce it 'Mo-ette'.
On its own, the first word of Moet & Chandon would indeed ordinarily be pronounced Mo-ay, non? But, and only because of its concatenation with a vowel-voiced ampersand, the 't' does indeed need to be pronounced. Hence "Mo-ett-ay-Chandon". Abbreviated customarily to "Mo-ett".
But still wrongly, I reckon.

See you later, Mr Imp, perhaps for a jeroboam of Bollinger at Brentford?

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
On its own, the first word of Moet & Chandon would indeed ordinarily be pronounced Mo-ay, non? But, and only because of its concatenation with a vowel-voiced ampersand, the 't' does indeed need to be pronounced. Hence "Mo-ett-ay-Chandon". Abbreviated customarily to "Mo-ett".

That's not quite true. Moet has an umlaut over the 'e', therefore the 't' is pronounced. The founder Claude Moet was descended from a Dutch family so it is actually a Dutch family name and doesn't have a French pronunciation.

But you're correct in that the pronunciation rule would stand if it did was actually pronounced 'Mo-ay'.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
That's not quite true. Moet has an umlaut over the 'e', therefore the 't' is pronounced. The founder Claude Moet was descended from a Dutch family so it is actually a Dutch family name and doesn't have a French pronunciation.

But you're correct in that the pronunciation rule would stand if it did was actually pronounced 'Mo-ay'.
Thanks, hadn't realised the Dutch origin. Ees more complicated than I imagined...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

See you later, Mr Imp, perhaps for a jeroboam of Bollinger at Brentford?

Bollinger? How vulgar.

Pol Roger, dear chap.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

Old skool hip hop with correct Moet pronunciation

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
So how about a Fatboy reworking of this for the Falmer PA?

"Five Star Poyet - in full effect"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The most annoying mispronouncitation is that of the Chelsea owner. The correct pronounciation is Ro Marn as in harm Abro Mo Vich as in asbo not abram as in ham. Most TV and radio personnel pronounce it wrong. He confiormed this on a radio interview.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here