Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Villa

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can't see Gus being impressed by the financial chaos at Villa and Lerner's track record as an owner.

Can't see Villa pinning their hopes on any manager who hasn't managed in a top division, whether English or somewhere else.

D

Deleted member 22389

Can't see Gus leaving us for a car crash of a club like Villa.

The point is nearly all the teams Gus gets a mention for are all financially ruined. Gus is still at the best place.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Lambert must wish he had stayed at Norwich (except maybe for his bank balance?) and no doubt Gus would have the same thoughts in a few months time if he were to go there.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Villa are a big club. They have a fantastic bunch of young lads and have a few bob to spend. Anyone who saw last night's game could see that they a have a couple of over rated,over paid players that need to be shifted and some confidence.
The main problem with Villa is that they have an owner who is happy with mediocrity.
Gus is not the right guy has he is too tempestuous, but a Hughes or RM could do a good job. Lambert is a good manager just not the right guy.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't think Lambert's demeanour in interviews exactly helps the fans give him the benefit of the doubt. He was a decent player and an OK manager at Norwich but has this Andy Murray type monotone Scots dirge that hardly stirs the juices. You can barely hear him, let alone understand what he is saying. He never displays any passion to show fans that there is fire in his belly for the job. If I were a Villa fan I'd be feeling pretty fed up.

It would be interesting to see how Adkins would go at Villa. I think he had a goodish ride at Soton and their rapid ascent on the back of Pardew's groundwork meant his job was secure but the minute the cracks showed in the Prem he was toast in his Chairman's mind. Villa would be a different task, Premiership survival is now everything for them so he would not have the luxury of having time to sort things out. I suppose Lerner might feel that if Adkins could keep them up but if they do go down he has what it takes to get them back up? Who'd be the owner of a footie club?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I cannot seriously see this happening at all. If Lerner was to fire Lambert I doubt very much that they will jump from one up and coming manager and go straight for another one. With their precarious league position they will probably go for someone with Premier League experience such as the aforementioned Mark Hughes...There is even a manager who is currently doing nothing who has won the European Cup for heavens sake.

Whilst we all know Villa are a bigger club than Norwich and can appreciate that alluring prospect, Lambert has obviously been sold a pup with this one as they clearly have no money to spend. Judging by the price of players the Canaries buy and the sums they bid, they seem to be on a very sound financial footing.

This is why I believe even Poyet would turn them down. Gus, like Lambert did, would see the temptation in joining a massive club but we all hear him banging on about budgets so I cannot envisage him joining a club that, on the face of it, appear penniless. Villa could be the biggest club in the world but if they do not have the finances to be competitive in Premier League I doubt Poyet would be interested.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here