Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Chelsea

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Poyet seeks manager role in England

The former Tottenham assistant is seeking work in England rather than ride on the coattails of Juande Ramos to Real Madrid
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 December 2008 16.43 GMT

The former Tottenham assistant manager Gus Poyet wants to pursue a managerial career in England rather than follow Juande Ramos to Real Madrid. Ramos and Poyet formed a partnership at White Hart Lane that brought a trophy to the club within four months — but their reign turned sour this season and they were dismissed in late October with just two points from eight Premier League games.

Poyet, the former Spurs and Chelsea midfielder, is understood to be keen on making the step up to management on his own, even if Ramos asked him to join former Spurs fitness coach Marcos Alvarez on his backroom staff.
"It would be a big decision and would put me in a situation," Poyet said. "It's Real Madrid and it is very difficult to say no to them but I'm pleased in England. I'm in London and love everything here so I am hoping to start working here."

Football: Gus Poyet turns back on joining Juande Ramos at Real Madrid to pursue career in England | Football | guardian.co.uk

GUS POYET has revealed he turned down Real Madrid for lowly Brighton.

The Uruguayan - named as Seagulls boss today - opted to stay in England for a chance to manage a club for the first time rather than go as No 2 to the Spanish giants.

Former Chelsea and Tottenham midfield star Poyet was appointed by the League One strugglers in place of the sacked Russell Slade and has signed an 18-month contract. But Poyet could have gone to the Bernabeu instead if he had accepted an offer to be assistant to former Spurs coach Juande Ramos.

He said: "We left Spurs together in October and in December I was asked to go to Real Madrid. But I preferred to stay in England because I wanted to manage a club of my own."

Brighton name Gus Poyet as new manager | The Sun |Sport|Football

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Informed the mod about an hour ago that my contacts have confirmed Gus will be staying for the foreseeable future(Finances etc to be finalised)

:facepalm: so what youre saying here is, 'ive completely got this wrong, Gus IS staying. (Lets write something about finances so that no one can really have a go tomorrow when he HASNT left)'

You Sir, are a complete and utter knob.

Ban Him. :tantrum:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
:facepalm: so what youre saying here is, 'ive completely got this wrong, Gus IS staying. (Lets write something about finances so that no one can really have a go tomorrow when he HASNT left)'

:thumbsup:

(although in fairness there would be little entertainment on here if people didn't put up rumours, usually - ideally even - the more outrageous the better)

Bullshitting is de rigeur and perfectly acceptable IMO - It's when people claim to have a "source" and then get proved to have just been bullshitting that it maybe gets near to the line.

Last edited:

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010

AlbaAlbion

It seems clear to me you've come in to this post late doors, finances are under discussion and will be reported to us all officially tomorrow. I can confirm discussions took place today but TB stood up to the plate to keep our man. Its the first but I'm sure if he carries on his good work not the last time our Gus will be hunted.

At all times I have always stated that I hope I was wrong and have never been happier to be so in this case. dare I suggest Alba that when replying to previous posts, if you are to cut and paste comments for argument, then please print the complete post for clarity. This my friend has made you a bigger ^&%$£")(. I wont swear as kids read this forum as well.

Mr moderator, there seems to be one or two posters screaming "ban him", can you confirm this is a free speech board, or do we let the keyboard warriors rule this forum ????:clap2:

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
AlbaAlbion

It seems clear to me you've come in to this post late doors, finances are under discussion and will be reported to us all officially tomorrow. I can confirm discussions took place today but TB stood up to the plate to keep our man. Its the first but I'm sure if he carries on his good work not the last time our Gus will be hunted.

At all times I have always stated that I hope I was wrong and have never been happier to be so in this case.

Mr moderator, there seems to be one or two posters screaming "ban him", can you confirm this is a free speech board, or do we let the keyboard warriors rule this forum ????:clap2:

I dont understand what you mean by finances??? Gus signed a new 4 year deal just a few months ago.Can you explain more please?

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
I dont understand what you mean by finances??? Gus signed a new 4 year deal just a few months ago.Can you explain more please?

He was offered a better financial package to go to Chelsea. TB has done his bit to keep him... I think in simple terms we'll call it a pay rise and player budget to be looked at again. That issue is we need another couple of players, a mid-fielder and a forward.....we knew that anyway !

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
He was offered a better financial package to go to Chelsea. TB has done his bit to keep him... I think in simple terms we'll call it a pay rise and player budget to be looked at again. That issue is we need another couple of players, a mid-fielder and a forward.....we knew that anyway !

so do you have any info on players coming in ??

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
'I'm afraid to say by the end of the week the deal will be done.'
'Problem I'm afraid though is that my sources are solid'
'as I've said talks are taking place today following which an announcement will be made tomorrow morning. I more than anyone hope this is wrong.'
'only relaying FACTS'

So if your contact is solid and youre only relaying FACTS, then why do you hope youre wrong? Surely with your solid contact in place and your knowledge of them being FACTS, there was not a doubt in your mind that you were right? Just admit it, you were spouting crap from the start. You're creating a poor attempt at covering that up. Do you really think that Bloom and Poyet would report to the argus that theyve had to renegotiate Gus' contract? because it looked like Gus was going to leave? Im sure thats the message they want to give the fans, that any time a big club comes looking, Gus is going to be ready for the off. I think not.

Sep 1, 2010
Oh good just what NSC needs.............more BULLSHIT. Free speech board, amazing how many people quote that shite whilst in back tracking mode

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home

I was at the Fans Forum in August when Tony Bloom said that Gus knew the player budget when he took the job and 'had never asked for any more'. Gus agreed. I think that if Gus had asked for more money for players then TB would agree to it anyway, without any gun to his head.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
At all times I have always stated that I hope I was wrong

You keep saying you hope you are wrong which implies to me you don't really know what's going on. If you knew you were right you wouldn't keep saying you hope you're wrong.

However, if you are right, Poyet would lose a hell of a lot of respect from a lot of people. Till now he seems to have had his head screwed on in learning his trade in the lower leagues for a few years. If he went to Chealsea as AM i'm sure it would only be with the gauranteed offer of the top job in the future.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Excuse me but I have bitten my lip reading this thread.All I can say is what a load of b*****ks this whole thread has been. Let's just get on with supporting our club and manager in reaching the ultimate goal of winning promotion and stop these unsettling,unnecessary posts and do what a lot on here don't seem to want to do which is support the Albion.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Of all the wankers that have been on this board over the years this bloke has got to take the accolade for biggest wanker. Muppet.

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4

You're so completely full of shit. I'm suprised anyone on this board took you seriously. We obviously all have a Gus leaving complex!

Don't shoot him down. His info may well have been credible, but the situation just changed.

I appreciate the info this chap gave us all on Lua Lua, which was not just accurate, it was 100% on the money.

If all pans out how it appears it might, lets celebrate the fact that we seem to have Gus for longer.

And maybe, we should consider buying the OP a drink. I think its terrific we have someone who can get some inside news.

Please remember, just coz if didnt pan out to the worst case scenario, does not mean it was not true/accurate in the 1st place.

Those calling him a liar and asking for him to be banned should hang your heads in shame.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
No need to any more. He shot himself. ???

Correct. He stated that the deal would be done (100% Inaccurate) He stated that The Argus would carry something today (100% Inaccurate).

I think the Lua Lua scoop that he claimed was pure guesswork that just turned out to be accurate!

He knows no more than my next door neighbours dog!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here