Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus targets Premiership signing before loan window closes

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Lukaku anyone? There were rumours floating around before. I think he fits the bill and understand he cannot be loaned to a Premier League club this season?

Perfect powerful forward to work alongside CMS?

was thinking this earlier, but with the way Chelsea are playing at the moment I don't think they would allow him to leave

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we are 1 player off of a very good side an attacking creative midfielder witha bit of steel. A Steve Sidwell type player who would support CMS from behind and also win the balls to push through for him to latch on to. Where we find that player at a reasonable price I dont know but perhaps Gus does.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Are you sure Gus didn't mean Premiership singing?!?!

DareLiverpoolDream.jpg

"S-u-san Boyle runs down the wing for me...da...da...da...da...da"

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Calm down peeps, some of you on here are almost saying that Gus is not good enough. Ok so he's not the best yet, but one day will be looked on as a great manager. maybe even alongside the greats like Fergie senior or Wenger. If TB decides to out Gus (which I know he won't) I can't think of anyone I'd rather have leading us then Gus. He has the passion, the drive and the know how to play football, rather than lumping the ball up top, and hope for a lucky goal. We just need our players back fit with a bit of confidence and we will find our feet again. I am loving the championship, so no complaints for me.

I agree with what you say to an extent. I like what Gus is trying to do with our passing game, but over the last couple of month's it has been clear that our attempt at tippy tappy football has been found out and as he has said before, his philosophy will not change. The problem is we just dont have the players to play that kind of football in this league. We are a team with average players trying to play like Barcelona. It's never going to work. Unless we try and find a plan B, C and D we are going to struggle to even stay in this league. A loss to Coventry next week and I think the pressure will really be on Gus. He is not invincible as some seem to think

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I agree with what you say to an extent. I like what Gus is trying to do with our passing game, but over the last couple of month's it has been clear that our attempt at tippy tappy football has been found out and as he has said before, his philosophy will not change. The problem is we just dont have the players to play that kind of football in this league. We are a team with average players trying to play like Barcelona. It's never going to work. Unless we try and find a plan B, C and D we are going to struggle to even stay in this league. A loss to Coventry next week and I think the pressure will really be on Gus. He is not invincible as some seem to think

Blimey..I think that's a bit harsh. seems to me Gus is still learning all the time. Compared to the great :)sick:) Sir Alex who spent four years trying to get United into shape, he hasn't been cut a lot of rope.

If I was an Albion fan I'd be seriously worried that Gus will feel folks on the continent might appreciate him more.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I agree with what you say to an extent. I like what Gus is trying to do with our passing game, but over the last couple of month's it has been clear that our attempt at tippy tappy football has been found out and as he has said before, his philosophy will not change

Agree with the entire post .. as for tippy tappy is it me or do we only play that in our own half now? If an accurate observation it's an outcome of being generally over run or over pressured in MF I guess, where we are definitely weak.

As others have said the idea of playing Reyes alongside Bridcutt given us a bit more presence and a bit more time may be the answer although Gus hasn't used him there yet ... hopefully Saturday along with Vicente sitting behind CMS and Hoskins ... with one of Noone/Buckley wider. That would be as good a line up as we could hope for .. and with plenty enough ability not only to despatch Cov but others too I reckon

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree with this. Poyets style of football will work, but he needs the players to make it work. Several of our players simply have not made the step up in class from L1. If we are to suceed in this league we need players of the like that Swansea had. To improve on Swansea in the Prem you need players that Arsenal have and for Arsenal make that Barca.

I didn't expect this to happen overnight and I would be more than happy to just consolidate this season. I think even Gus has been taken by surprise as to why a number of players (Calderon, painter etc have not made the standard). But the priority is to stay in this league this season and funds must be given to Gus to buy fullbacks, a goal keeper and a defensive midfielder to take the strain off Bridcutt. This would make us stronger defensivly and allow our flair players like Noone, Buckley, Lua Lua to start being offensive rather than having to protect the defence (and so starve CMS of Service). Our problems are defensively, which have affected our offensive play.

It'll cost a lot, but it will cost even more to go down and I think this squad is currently not up to it. It will be an interesting January for Bloom and Poyet and will set the direction of travel this season and for ones after.

Last edited:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Perhaps this is part of the negotiation tactics on the wage percentage we are prepared to pay for the player. Are we publicly walking away from the deal?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

100% this. Except I cannot see TB outing him unless we get into relegation trouble at some point.

Also found out in the stiffs yesterday.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I agree were much more of a unit, but then the side last season was very settled. This year with serious injuries affecting probable starters we have not been able to put the same side out twice, which I believe is a major contibutor to our dip in form.

Also watching that dvd just showed how TERRIBLE league one was. The standard even from the poor teams in this division is much higher.

We are a poor team in this Division?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This tweet from Naylor makes it appear that whoever the player is either the club or player are asking for us to pay too much of his wages and we are backing out of the deal. If this is the case can anybody blame either Gus or TB for not allowing themsleves to be held to ransom

Calm down peeps, some of you on here are almost saying that Gus is not good enough. Ok so he's not the best yet, but one day will be looked on as a great manager. maybe even alongside the greats like Fergie senior or Wenger. If TB decides to out Gus (which I know he won't) I can't think of anyone I'd rather have leading us then Gus. He has the passion, the drive and the know how to play football, rather than lumping the ball up top, and hope for a lucky goal. We just need our players back fit with a bit of confidence and we will find our feet again. I am loving the championship, so no complaints for me.

Not more homophobic chanting from the opposition supporters!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I agree with this. Poyets style of football will work, but he needs the players to make it work. Several of our players simply have not made the step up in class from L1. If we are to suceed in this league we need players of the like that Swansea had. To improve on Swansea in the Prem you need players that Arsenal have and for Arsenal make that Barca.

I didn't expect this to happen overnight and I would be more than happy to just consolidate this season. I think even Gus has been taken by surprise as to why a number of players (Calderon, painter etc have not made the standard). But the priority is to stay in this league this season and funds must be given to Gus to buy fullbacks, a goal keeper and a defensive midfielder to take the strain off Bridcutt. This would make us stronger defensivly and allow our flair players like Noone, Buckley, Lua Lua to start being offensive rather than having to protect the defence (and so starve CMS of Service). Our problems are defensively, which have affected our offensive play.

It'll cost a lot, but it will cost even more to go down and I think this squad is currently not up to it. It will be an interesting January for Bloom and Poyet and will set the direction of travel this season and for ones after.

I prefer the comparison with the yo-yo-ing West Brom team of a few years ago. Pretty stuff and dominating in the Championship but unable to cut it a division up and appeared relatively toothless.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Gus hasn't been keen on short term loan players. He has had a lot of players on loan (Barnes, Wood, Lualua, Arismendi, Paynter, Harper all spring to mind without much thought, yet this myth that he doesn't like any loan persists)

Gus has said he is always on the look out for players that will add to the squad. Having identified someone he'd like is no more an admission that the squad isn't good enough or his other signings are a disppoinment than the fact he is always looking for improvements. He wants a fluid squad. He isn't picking 25 players and sticking with them. He will continue to look for better players. Even if he manages to sign Ronaldo or Messi, he would continue looking for players.
To be honest I would rather Gus take players on a short term loan if he has an interest in buying at the end of the loan (temp to perm). Maybe if he had a couple of his purchased players on loan first he wouldn't have signed them on contract.
Lua Lua still puzzles me, if he had impressed this season during his loan spell and good and dandy but he hasn't had the opportunity so he must be low down the pecking order and yet we sign him on contract.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
To be honest I would rather Gus take players on a short term loan if he has an interest in buying at the end of the loan (temp to perm). Maybe if he had a couple of his purchased players on loan first he wouldn't have signed them on contract.
Lua Lua still puzzles me, if he had impressed this season during his loan spell and good and dandy but he hasn't had the opportunity so he must be low down the pecking order and yet we sign him on contract.
100 % agree ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here