Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus say's that The Amex is one of the best

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Pride Park, the Walker's, St Mary's and the Riverside are all more or less identical in design, although Pride Park seems to work best. Hull is a step forward, and well worth a visit. The Ricoh, though, is a step back and suffers from being attached to a hotel, with a large blank wall dominating most of one side of the ground. Swansea is a bit like stadium:mk. But I'm surprised that anyone doesn't like Molineux - you couldn't possibly confuse it with anywhere else, and we have a fantastic record there, which certainly helps.

But I agree with those who say that the atmosphere that the fans create usually makes a ground special. Leeds scores heavily there, as does Millwall.

The Boleyn hasn't had a good atmosphere all season - Avram Grant will do that to a place - but since they built the new stand the enclosed, intimate feel has disappeared. that, of course, will only get worse when/if they move to the Olympic Stadium.

Ewood is rarely full these days, and doesn't have much character. Fratton has, but so does an outside toilet.

Haven't been to the Keepmoat or the new Cardiff ground, so can't say.

My POV is coloured by the press facilities, of course - and from that perspective the top five are:

1. Portman Road
2. Boleyn Ground
3. KC Stadium
4. Elland Road
5. Pride Park

The worst:

1. Fratton
2. Selhurst
3. Vicarage Road
4. Oakwell
5. Ashton Gate

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't like the Walkers stadium as away fans get stuck in the corner. Ricoh, Riverside, Pride Park etc are all very similar although conversely I like Swansea's Liberty stadium.
Hull's KC stadium is great and I do like Molineux. I like old grounds like Burnley, Ipswich, West Ham and Millwall (although not sure if the New Den is 'new' now)

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Identikit Pride, St.Mary's & Leicester ..... 32,500 to 33,600 capacities, exposed breexe blocks inside and out, cheap-per-seat to build and all stands so similar.

Falmer unique with the incredible West Stand will be amazing, and even better when the second tier of East Stand and corners are complete.

The Club mention that the enemies of the Albion (Falmer Parish, Lewes DC, Bton Uni Vice Chancellor, South Downs Society, David Panter & Norman Baker) inadvertently aided the Club, as the delays meant a far more modern and fan-friendly design was created, drawing the best and avoiding the worst of the Emirates, Allianz Arena, and so on.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I agree! Love hulls KC stadium
Also get a feel how much better the Amex will be with the corners filled in

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It takes time to get used a new ground/stadium. The only ground that felt as home as the Goldstone was the Old Valley. I always liked trips to Craven Cottage. And Priestfield was the pits. Withdean was not as bad as all that. But it often felt cold and damp. And it was not big enough for any decent atmosphere.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

deenomeet

ballbags
Apr 2, 2011
Im biased,Portman Road,retains an old ground feel that embraces a premiership status (the stadium) and all the modern updates that brings.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think Gus is thinking behind the scenes as much as the arena... he has the (allegedly) best equipped physio room in the league, an indoor warm up area with grass, and other high tech stuff that can only be afforded to new stadia... I think he is talking more than the pitch and four stands.

Lush

Mods' Pet
On the grammar half of this thread, it seems to me that in the confusion about whether or not a word needs an apostrophe, it's becoming more common that ANY word ending in 's' is being given an apostrophe.

However the context is important. A misplaced apostrophe is more likely to happen in a situation where you might want to impress - eg selling vegetables, hence greengrocers' apostrophes 'Carrot's', 'Onion's' etc - or even posting on a message board. Because most written language falls into this 'wish to impress' category, it's possible that the English language evolves and this use of apostrophes becomes the norm.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just to respond to a few points on this thread without going into too much detail.

The Boleyn Ground has an appalling atmosphere.

Blackpool is a shithole, and you can't just go on the "big one" any more as it's now like Alton Towers where you have to pay to enter the park.

Pretty sure you can get a beer in every championship ground.

If apostrophe's become the norm in all word's that end in s's then what would tha achieve other than wasting vast amount's of paper and ink?

Last edited:

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
The thing about the amex is that it has a unique design which is different to most of the new stadiums which are all very similar! It looks amazing!

Totaly ruined internaly by silver facades where seats should be, looks good externaly though

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because most written language falls into this 'wish to impress' category, it's possible that the English language evolves and this use of apostrophes becomes the norm.
Nah.

Most written language falls into the 'in a hurry to type a text / can't be bothered to learn how to write' categories.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I think Falmer's going to be better than every ground it that division, I really do.

Of the others (and if neither go up), I'm quite intrigued by Swansea's Liberty Stadium and I look forward to a return away day to the Madejski in Reading - our away following is always top-notch when we go there. :clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is Gus still in the UK? I thought he would have been making the most of a chance to pop back and see family in Uruguay, or be soaking up some rays in Zaragoza.

Well he was at the Reading v Cardiff game last night, so yes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here