Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus said this morning Saints more important than Palace for him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Who Saints WANTED is one thing.

The inference here though is that Gus went after the job. This he would know.

You were calling bullshit on the whole thing. See my post above - I think the whole thing is entirely plausible without Gus ever having much of an interest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You were calling bullshit on the whole thing. See my post above - I think the whole thing is entirely plausible without Gus ever having much of an interest.

That's why I clarified - I called bullshit at the CRUX of the matter which is the suggestion that Gus hates Saints because he didn't get a job, which he in fact, never wanted.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It smacks of horseshit to me too. What exactly had Gus achieved when Adkins was appointed? Nothing. Why would Southampton have even considered him?

I don't believe a word of it.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It smacks of horseshit to me too. What exactly had Gus achieved when Adkins was appointed? Nothing. Why would Southampton have even considered him?

I don't believe a word of it.

Exactly, the first 6 months were hardly spectacular were they? Signs of progress but nowhere near enough to suggest what he would achieve the following season with a lot of people still predicting mid table. A club the size of Southampton surely would want more than that?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It smacks of horseshit to me too. What exactly had Gus achieved when Adkins was appointed? Nothing. I don't believe a word it.

It was Cortese who was telling people at a Saints dinner only last night. If he says Gus was on his shortlist, then he very probably was.

I think Gus had already shown enough at the time Adkins was appointed, on very limited resources, for him to have some appeal to Saints.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Cortese played cat and mouse with the Scunny chairman for days over Adkins, even stating that the deal was off and they were looking elsewhere. Yet all the time they had a 3 name shortlist and never approached us or Bournemouth? If you cast your mind back Adkins was long odds on with the bookies from very early in the piece and Howe was the only other runner, according to the betting. Amazing if it is common knowledge within football that Gus was not mentioned in dispatches at any stage.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It was Cortese who was telling people at a Saints dinner only last night. If he says Gus was on his shortlist, then he very probably was.

I think Gus had already shown enough at the time Adkins was appointed, on very limited resources, for him to have some appeal to Saints.

Cortese mind games? He said plenty about Pardew also remember, just before and after sacking him.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Probably Cortese mischief making before Saints big game on Saturday.

Not OUR big game tho. Thats P A L A C E for any Uruguyan managers and their Argentinian assistants of south coast teams that may be reading.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Has no-one picked up on the implication here that Gus wanted to leave us for Southampton?

Yes - which is slightly worrying IF true. If he willing to leave us for a side in the same division that were below us in the table at the time, then all this talk that he wouldn't walk out for a Premier League team unless they were one of the big ones is looking pretty hollow

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Everybody in football, (even every single Saints fan prior to their recent success) knows that Cortese is a snidey lying little wanker, who'd sell his Grandmother's arse for a profit. I wouldn't believe a word that he says - a view which most honest Saints fans would agree with.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

If a reporter asked Cortese squarely whether or not Poyet was on a shortlist of 3 before Adkins' appointment, I'd be willing to bet he'd get a firm "NO". If pressed as to why he said Poyet was on a shortlist at some dinner or other before the game against Brighton, I think you'd get a load of wooly flannel about him being "considered" but too expensive, one of about 20 people on a wish list, and it only being mentioned because of the game the following day - perhaps put down to "playing mind games".

No way was Poyet on a last 3 shortlist at Southampton, approached by Southampton himself, then rejected. Sorry, I just don't buy that at all.

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent
Everybody in football, (even every single Saints fan prior to their recent success) knows that Cortese is a snidey lying little wanker, who'd sell his Grandmother's arse for a profit. I wouldn't believe a word that he says - a view which most honest Saints fans would agree with.

I don't.

There is a slightly mental section of our fanbase who can't seem to deal with the club being run well so have digs at him and call him a lier.

He has come through on all of his promises so far. He doesn't try to be liked, he has said that himself.

As for the profit comment? On what basis? We have run at a loss since he came in....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't believe anyone, least of all me, has claimed that.
My understanding of a shortlist is a list of candidates in serious contention for a job.

How on earth can he have ever been a contender if he wasn't even approached?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here