Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus said this morning Saints more important than Palace for him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The reason Gus want's this game more is for his own personal reasons. I personally know a highly ranked member of staff within st mary's (family friend), who stated that Gus was one of the three names on our shortlist, along with Howe and Adkins. Adkins got the job, which Gus was not at all impressed with and since has held a personal grudge with Cortese. I don't believe he dislikes the club, I believe it is Cortese that he is wanting to get one over on.

Don't take this as gospel as I don't know if this is 100% correct, however I wouldn't doubt my contact so expect that this is very, very likely. For Gus, Saint's, so long as Cortese is in charge will be the club he want's to get one over.

I've heard this from a Saints man in the know also.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
The reason Gus want's this game more is for his own personal reasons. I personally know a highly ranked member of staff within st mary's (family friend), who stated that Gus was one of the three names on our shortlist, along with Howe and Adkins. Adkins got the job, which Gus was not at all impressed with and since has held a personal grudge with Cortese. I don't believe he dislikes the club, I believe it is Cortese that he is wanting to get one over on.

Don't take this as gospel as I don't know if this is 100% correct, however I wouldn't doubt my contact so expect that this is very, very likely. For Gus, Saint's, so long as Cortese is in charge will be the club he want's to get one over.

Total and utter horseshit !

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Andy Naylor tweeted that Gus said Saints game "bigger" than the Palace game. To the team it is, they are top of the table and the team to beat, thats always going to be a big game for the players and manager.

That is the ONLY reason. And if when we play say Boro and they are top then the same applies.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
If this is true, did Gus actually apply for the Southampton job or was he on a shortlist that was created by their board? Would have been interesting to see how Bloom reacted to the news that he wanted to up sticks and go to St Marys after less than a year in charge

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I find that highly unlikely as Gus had been here about half a season before Pardew was sacked and achieved nothing apart from avoiding relegation, I doubt he would have been allowed to attend an interview tbh. Adkins had proved his credentials with Scunthope's promotion, Gus had proved nothing and Saints were desperate to get out of League 1. Far too risky to have appointed Gus at that stage..again imo

Cortese has admitted knowing nothing about Adkins. He had no idea who he was. However at the interview, he instantly knew he was the guy he wanted. The fact Poyet had been there 6 months isn't really relevant. If memory serves me right, didn't he have a pretty impressive streak the back end of the season?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cortese has admitted knowing nothing about Adkins. He had no idea who he was. However at the interview, he instantly knew he was the guy he wanted. ?

Is your set up really that Mickey Mouse? I somehow doubt it.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Cortese has admitted knowing nothing about Adkins. He had no idea who he was. However at the interview, he instantly knew he was the guy he wanted. The fact Poyet had been there 6 months isn't really relevant. If memory serves me right, didn't he have a pretty impressive streak the back end of the season?

what's relevant is that Poyet was NEVER going to leave to go to Southampton.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

It's common knowledge within the game apparently.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Sorry don't believe that at all, maybe he was on the short list when Pardew got the job but not Adkins

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

But Gus is not on the field , the players are and for me i hope he goes with the same attitude for every game , to win whether it is Southampton , Palace , Barnsley away or whoever .

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent
Our chairman told the guests at one of his ST holder dinners last night, that the reason Gus hates us, is that he wanted the job when Adkins got it, but wasn't considered.

Don't shoot the messenger......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's common knowledge within the game apparently.

So just to clarify, Gus wanted to up sticks and f*** off to Saints within 6 months of being given his 1st managerial job by Bloom?

Any media people on here want to ask Gus the question, obviously watered down??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You and I both know that Rusthall would not know who Saints had on their shortlist.

Who Saints WANTED is one thing.

The inference here though is that Gus went after the job. This he would know.

simpleton

Apr 23, 2011
Adkins had proved his credentials with Scunthope's promotion, Gus had proved nothing and Saints were desperate to get out of League 1. Far too risky to have appointed Gus at that stage..again imo

Could well be true. Despite having money and ambition Saints weren't able to pick and choose too much at that point - near the bottom of Lg1 with a reputation of hire and fire.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
I know I will get shouted down for this but have on very good authority (cliche I know, but was an El Abd family memeber)that Adam will be back in contention for the Cov game, which I think is excellent news

Yep was training yesterday

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry don't believe that at all, maybe he was on the short list when Pardew got the job but not Adkins

Really? Gus was doing well for us so it's highly likely Saints would have had him on their shortlist - why wouldn't he be?

Beyond that - approaches, interviews, 'would he leave' is all speculation. We'd all like to think that the Albion, Bloom and Gus would have all said 'thanks, but no thanks' to any approach and Rusthall is a man in the know here.

But there is no reason to dispute that it is likely that Saints had him as a man they fancied.

Would Gus feel spited by this? Who knows, but he's an ambitious man who is very confident in his own abilities. Even if he wouldn't have left, he may feel slightly peeved that a formal approach wasn't made, because he believes himself to be the better manager and wants to beat Southampton to try and prove a point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here