Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
"I respect him as Fifa president but I don't listen to him when he talks about football," he said.

That's more like it.

D

Deleted User X18H

The recording I have of this paints a slightly different picture to be fair. Some of other points Gus made that somewhat tone down the exact point he is trying to make and take in the overall context of the subject matter, are a little less harsh than suggested, but don't appear to have made the published article!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So type it up !
The Guardian is clearly hanging Gus out to dry. Focus all the powers of your journalistic skills HB&B, and give us the FULL story (direct quotes, NOT your interpretation...)

goodoldsussexbythesea

North Stand STH
Sep 2, 2011
Westdene
He isn't condoning racism, he's a) backing up his mate (wouldn't we all?) and b) saying evra shouldn't have made such a massive deal over it, which he shouldn't. All that was needed was a handshake, surely?!

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
Why is Alex Ferguson's opinion so important? Anyone who knows Gus will accept that he has very strong views on issues which are never simplistic. Lets not be quick to judge.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Piss poor from Gus, defending someone for making racist comments? Lost a fair bit of respect for him, hugely disappointing.

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
Why does he need to get himself involved!? Gus is going to get some bad publicity for this. We're trying to find the good in this interview and struggling!!!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
doesn't need to get involved I agree but just sticking up for a friend and why is it that people are assuming Suarez's guilt?

And even from reading that article as it is, it does tend to focus on the one comment (the cry baby one).

Imagine if Gus felt the need to defend one of our players in an interview. Then we'd see fireworks.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Without the benefit of the whole interview it's hard to comment really - we all know journalists (or rather their copy writers and editors) will twist a story to get more interest and who's to say this isn't happening here. Suarez has had little support from anywhere other than Liverpool and it could just be a language / translation issue (although if Negrito is a term of endearment then why was Suarez using it on the ever likeable Evra at that stage of that game?).... No winners here as far as I can see. Patrice Evra, how can you make someone a captain of a team (let alone one the size of Man Utd) who refused to play for their country during a World Cup, what a twat.

I must agree with the other posters who commented on Gus' view of Blatter, brilliant.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
So type it up !
The Guardian is clearly hanging Gus out to dry. Focus all the powers of your journalistic skills HB&B, and give us the FULL story (direct quotes, NOT your interpretation...)

Hahaha journalistic skills. We've got a long wait for an article from Timmy that has any journalistic merit what so ever. I can only assume that the website he writes for is ran by a friend or he has photos of the editor with a prostitute and a donkey, there can be no other reason anyone would give him a writing job.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Could it be fair to say that in Uruguay what constutes racism is different from here ??

Someone has mentioned the word apparently used and how it is used in Uruguay, also remember Gus quite openly called Baz 'Chino'.

Not defending Gus or Suarez but seems most of this is to do with the point of view whether what he said was racist

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Unfortunate. Nothing wrong with what Gus says but the timing and the possible understanding makes his comments naive. He should have learnt by now that journalists will twist these things. People have lost their job for similar comments in the press.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What the debate hinges on is whether the word 'negrito' is racist. Rough translation: 'Little black man.' Gus Poyet and Luis Suarez are from Uruguay where the word is supposedly a term of endearment, a word used when you are identifying someone fitting that description as a friend. Hardly surprising, then, that Poyet is backing Suarez.

I think it's safe to say Suarez & Evra were not looking to be endearing to one another.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
in a perverse way, i see this as good news - if he sticks his foot in it a couple of times in the national press, he will become less covetable by others...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here