Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'd rather stick around to avoid dogma spreading.
Fair enough, but will you stop telling us about your players and who you consider a 'cheat' or not? It's taking this thread off into other directions (as others feel the need to respond, yes a bit like I'm doing now) and also we don't give a flying f***. Thanks.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I'd rather be a racist than a united fan. Both should entail some serious punishment though.

Thats not even funny or clever IMO and for your information i like Man U, hate Palace and Pompey but would rather support anyone than be a racist.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Evra heard something that he believed was racist, being unaware of what "negrito" means or doesn't mean to a Uruguayan. He complained in good faith. According to Kick It Out, Suarez hasn't attempted to explain or apologise for any offence - the implication being that it could all have been forgotten if he had.

This morning Gus made the excellent point that he has had to adapt, and that Suarez must too. I happen to know (because I was at yesterday morning's press conference) that Gus wasn't aware of exactly what Suarez is supposed to have said, so I admit he might have been well advised to pass on the question (which was originally about Blatter), but Gus is a man who speaks his mind ....

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
What part of "detest them" are you struggling with, for the record , if you want to appease me , dont use words that a 7 year old would deem childish, "ushited" being one of them.

I understand you claim to detest them, and did whilst composing my last retort. Would a 7 year old use retort? You're obviously the expert in kiddie grammar so let me know, please, Mr f***ing word police.

Have you done one yet petal?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Evra heard something that he believed was racist, being unaware of what "negrito" means or doesn't mean to a Uruguayan. He complained in good faith. According to Kick It Out, Suarez hasn't attempted to explain or apologise for any offence - the implication being that it could all have been forgotten if he had.

This morning Gus made the excellent point that he has had to adapt, and that Suarez must too. I happen to know (because I was at yesterday morning's press conference) that Gus wasn't aware of exactly what Suarez is supposed to have said, so I admit he might have been well advised to pass on the question (which was originally about Blatter), but Gus is a man who speaks his mind ....

.........and must learn not when to drop himself in the shit.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ok i don't get this where did Gus actually use the words EVRA is a cry baby, but i do agree its very dangerous ground believing one person over the other if there is no other form of evidence, the only silly comment i can see IS that Gus may of put up with it in the past but doesn't mean we need to put up with it in the future.

Gus used the words "crying like a baby" and two papers (The Argus and Mirror) made the not-unreasonable leap of linking the two words.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
First bit, no. Just no.
Second bit. I don't see how calling Gus a monkey is racist. People think his face is similar to that of a monkey. If I think Sam Allardyce looks like a monkey, and call him a monkey, is that a racist comment? If i think Ian Holloway looks like a rat, and call him a rat, does that make it a racist comment?
If you think I look like a monkey, and you call me a monkey. Does that make you racist. (I am Caucasian by the way).
Facial characteristics of a whole race were denigrated eventually leading to the point where they were nearly all exterminated as part of a master plan.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think Gus has opened a can of worms here and if you agree with his comments or not he may have to do a "Sepp" and clarify his thoughts. Not good IMO he has cast judgement on a fellow profesional (Evra) before all the facts have surfaced and a judgement has been made. What if it is found that Evra was abused in a way even Gus would not agree with, will he apologise to him and the "Kick it out " campaign?
Not good Gus ......sorry

But it's OK for Suarez to be guilty as charged in the press and by ManUtd fans based on Evra's say so-before anything has been proven?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Thats not even funny or clever IMO and for your information i like Man U, hate Palace and Pompey but would rather support anyone than be a racist.

I wouldn't contemplate racism either, you've just illustrated my point and can't comprehend my capacity to hate united. It beats Palace, and theres some real hate there.

This was all just for your information too! And to be clear, this isn't for your amusement.... or for confirmation of my intellect! Thanks though

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
But it's OK for Suarez to be guilty as charged in the press and by ManUtd fans based on Evra's say so-before anything has been proven?

Who has said Suarez is guilty?.......certainly not Ferguson. He would rather wait untill the enquiry is over and i bet Gus now wishes he had chosen his words a little more carefully. Thinking about it has Evra spouted anything in the press or has he kept quiet? As for United fans they probably would like to back Evra while Liverpool would like to back Suarez, thats a given surely?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
I wouldn't contemplate racism either, you've just illustrated my point and can't comprehend my capacity to hate united. It beats Palace, and theres some real hate there.

This was all just for your information too! And to be clear, this isn't for your amusement.... or for confirmation of my intellect! Thanks though

Thats cleared that up then! But its not good to have so much hate!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
What part of "detest them" are you struggling with, for the record , if you want to appease me , dont use words that a 7 year old would deem childish, "ushited" being one of them.

I agree. I despise United too, but the use of the term "ushited" by anyone above Primary School age is pathetic. Mind you, I hate the term "Palarse" too. No wonder football fans are viewed by wider society as uneducated idiots.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I agree. I despise United too, but the use of the term "ushited" by anyone above Primary School age is pathetic. Mind you, I hate the term "Palarse" too. No wonder football fans are viewed by wider society as uneducated idiots.

Almost as bad as "Scumhampton" *shudders*

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Gus used the words "crying like a baby" and two papers (The Argus and Mirror) made the not-unreasonable leap of linking the two words.

yes but not in the manner how the papers have perceived it or how it has been taken by some, Gus has not said the words .. EVRA is a cry baby.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Heard it back again and what I think gus wanted to say is

1) I know Suarez personally and he is 110% not a racist

2) My experience of other countries is that have not come as far as the UK in tackling racism and we have to be sure players from these areas know the expectations of them when playing in the uk

3) I can tackle racism within my team and players but not the crowd which is out of my control

Not sure what he was on with the cry baby bit though as that sounds a bit too blatter for my liking

Sometimes with gus his mouth runs before his brain and he has not come across well today. Just hope this blows over quickly and gus can learn from this

One thing that Gus is being condemned here for is the timing of his comments. This all stemmed from a question about Blatter. It's not as if Gus just decided to have a massive rant about racism off his own back. People giving him stick because of the Lawrence murder trial happening this week are idiots. It's an unfortunate coincidence.

Also, someone else mentioned that Evra himself said that "cameras are everywhere". This happened ages ago and I don't recall seeing loads of replays of any incident, which we got with the Terry/Ferdinand one. Could it be that Evra is a cheating lying twat?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
He said "“I played football for seven years in Spain and was called everything, because I was from South America, and I never went out crying like a baby, like Patrice Evra, saying that someone said something to me."

Now, granted, that's not exactly the same as saying "Patrice Evra is a cry baby", but isn't arguing the toss a bit like arguing "I didn't say he was a coward, I said he acted cowardly"?

but that's your assumption of how you perceived it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here