Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Daily Mail, where else...

Shut it, Gus! Fergie hits out at Poyet's offer to back Suarez in court over Evra race row

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has condemned Gus Poyet over his backing of Luis Suarez in the Patrice Evra race row - calling the Brighton boss 'a bit silly'.

The Football Association have charged Liverpool striker Suarez with making racist comments to Evra at Anfield last month. Liverpool have already stated their intention to stand behind their man, who has insisted he has done nothing wrong.

Ferguson has noted comments being 'drip fed' by the Merseyside giants, in direct contravention of the FA's request for both clubs not to comment. However, the Scot reserved his greatest criticism for Poyet, who has accused Evra of 'crying like a baby' over the matter and followed up with the claim he would defend Suarez 'to the hilt'.

'Gus Poyet's remarks are inappropriate at this time,' said Ferguson. 'People throughout the world are condemning racism. He has chosen the wrong time. I can understand why he wants to support someone from his country but he has to think about it more. I don't know how the question has been loaded but it seems his criticism of Evra is a bit silly'.

Thats a "condemning" it it ? :rolleyes:

Well played Fergie. I think your remarks were restrained and fair.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well played Fergie. I think your remarks were restrained and fair.

Agreed.

Fergie could (with some justification IMO) ripped into Poyet, and the whole situation would then have got really out of control.

Poyet can support his friend and compatriot, without calling Evra a cry baby for reporting the alleged offence.

"I don't believe Suarez is a racist" would have sufficed IMO

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The way Poyet shoots off at the mouth, any attempt to back Suarez in court would likely do more harm than good.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why is that deemed racist? If he looked like a Cat, would that be deemed racist if people made meeeeooowww noises. I think you've added 2 + 2 and come up with 5 here my friend.

My whole point was whether it could be construed as racist because of Gus's olive complexion.

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
Gus has stuck up for a mate and gives his opinion on a colloquial word that is considered racist in the UK but is a term of endearment and positivity in South America. Gus is exercising his right to free speech and giving an explanation which is being taken further out of context and twisted to suit the media agenda. The problem is tomorrow when there are monkey chants at St Marys directed at him is will he report it as racial abuse ?

First bit, no. Just no.
Second bit. I don't see how calling Gus a monkey is racist. People think his face is similar to that of a monkey. If I think Sam Allardyce looks like a monkey, and call him a monkey, is that a racist comment? If i think Ian Holloway looks like a rat, and call him a rat, does that make it a racist comment?
If you think I look like a monkey, and you call me a monkey. Does that make you racist. (I am Caucasian by the way).

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Agreed.

Fergie could (with some justification IMO) ripped into Poyet, and the whole situation would then have got really out of control.

Poyet can support his friend and compatriot, without calling Evra a cry baby for reporting the alleged offence.

Agreed, Gus has a lot to learn from the old wizzard Fergie. The Press probably wont let go of this and Gus may end up looking more than a "bit silly" if he is not careful.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Okay, them possibly stick to an important subject for OUR club and don't start banging on about the differences between Suarez and Ronaldo.

Amen to that. Christ, if I wanted to read a comparison between Suarez and Ronaldo, I would join one of those Premiership forums whereby most of the posters, presumably, make their comparisons from the comfort of the armchair.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Ok i don't get this where did Gus actually use the words EVRA is a cry baby, but i do agree its very dangerous ground believing one person over the other if there is no other form of evidence, the only silly comment i can see IS that Gus may of put up with it in the past but doesn't mean we need to put up with it in the future.

Last edited:

manutd_gone_wild

Nov 18, 2011
u know i was thinking about Poyet (non-gay way) and I do actually remember one thing from his Chelsea career. That scissor kick from outside of the 16-meter right into the top corner. Unbelievable.
any1 got this clip?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
First bit, no. Just no.
Second bit. I don't see how calling Gus a monkey is racist. People think his face is similar to that of a monkey. If I think Sam Allardyce looks like a monkey, and call him a monkey, is that a racist comment? If i think Ian Holloway looks like a rat, and call him a rat, does that make it a racist comment?
If you think I look like a monkey, and you call me a monkey. Does that make you racist. (I am Caucasian by the way).

So would making monkey noises at Poyet be ok then ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Agreed.

Absolutely, because it's not like ferguson is overly opinionated or has anything to say about things that really dont concern him is it ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ok i don't get this where did Gus actually use the words EVRA is a cry baby, but i do agree its very dangerous ground believing one person over the other if there is no other form of evidence, the only silly comment i can see IS that Gus may of put up with it in the past but doesn't mean we need to put it in the future.

He said "“I played football for seven years in Spain and was called everything, because I was from South America, and I never went out crying like a baby, like Patrice Evra, saying that someone said something to me."

Now, granted, that's not exactly the same as saying "Patrice Evra is a cry baby", but isn't arguing the toss a bit like arguing "I didn't say he was a coward, I said he acted cowardly"?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
u know i was thinking about Poyet (non-gay way) and I do actually remember one thing from his Chelsea career. That scissor kick from outside of the 16-meter right into the top corner. Unbelievable.
any1 got this clip?
Can't you search yourself? Typing 'Gus Poyet goal' into youtube gives you this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkHm1QdF7kU
You can probably find a better quality version.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here