Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - Managerial Genius

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was refreshing to have a manager who made changes to nullify the threats that could have turned the game. Switching Bennett and having three players closing down Antonio and stiffing the midfield in the 2nd half after we had been overrun for a few minutes and looked like conceding again.

I have to say that for once I thought we got the rub of the green, even taking into account the nailed on penalty on Murray and the fact that the referee gave us very few of the contentious decisions. Shame the players didn't put in the same lung busting energy when Russell was in charge but it seems we now have a manager who instils respect and has (admittedly only on the strength of one game) good tactical nous and the ability to get it across to the players. Makes a change from the fans being able to see it but not the manager or the players.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Was refreshing to have a manager who made changes to nullify the threats that could have turned the game. Switching Bennett and having three players closing down Antonio and stiffing the midfield in the 2nd half after we had been overrun for a few minutes and looked like conceding again.

I have to say that for once I thought we got the rub of the green, even taking into account the nailed on penalty on Murray and the fact that the referee gave us very few of the contentious decisions. Shame the players didn't put in the same lung busting energy when Russell was in charge but it seems we now have a manager who instils respect and has (admittedly only on the strength of one game) good tactical nous and the ability to get it across to the players. Makes a change from the fans being able to see it but not the manager or the players.
Yeah, as you say it's only one game but for the first time in ages I think we've got a manager who knows more than us!:lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yeah, as you say it's only one game but for the first time in ages I think we've got a manager who knows more than us!:lolol:

I wouldn't go that far but Gus appears to be our first manager in years who is able to quickly see what is going on and make the necessary changes before any damage gets done. If we'd have had any of our last three or four managers in charge yesterday we'd have probably been a couple of goals down very quickly. All in all, a very promising start by the new look Albion.

I feel a bit sorry for Russell Slade though because the players only did what they should have been doing since the start of the season. Why do footballers do that? It happens to most teams at some stage and it baffles me that one person can affect such a rapid change in attitude just by joining a club.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
What he said!

It would have been nice for Gus to come over and say "Hello" ???

No, I thought it showed a touch of class. It was him basically saying that the players deserved the plaudits for that performance, not him.

I'm sure there are plenty of managers out there with egos so big that they would have been the first over to lap up the praise, but that showed some real humility. I don't think I've ever loved a man more.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I was glad he didn't come over and milk the celebrations at the end of the game. Maintained his classy and professional nature by just heading straight to changing room. One game doesn't make a season!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think some people are getting a bit over excited, after one win people think we have won the Champs league.

I still would of rather had Wise.

I tend to agree with your first sentence, but it is nice to have something to shout about for a change.

As for your second sentence ?.........:fishing:..........surely ?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think some people are getting a bit over excited, after one win people think we have won the Champs league.

and then if we lose, we are DOOMED, going down without a hope.

The Gus Meter (left) tells us all what the general opnion of the fans are after each match! As you quite rightly pointed out, people think we are going up as Champions, and probably win the World Club Championships next season

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
If Gus avoids relegation he is very good,should he get us into the Championship then he is a genius

If Gus gets us into the Championship this year I will officially join the Batty Boys and f*** him up the arse!!!!

:lolol:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I was glad he didn't come over and milk the celebrations at the end of the game. Maintained his classy and professional nature by just heading straight to changing room. One game doesn't make a season!

He did actually look across and give a wave but everyone was so caught up in the euphoria of the moment that it went unnoticed by most. I agree that he felt it was the players moment and he probably had to rush off for his Sky interview

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Saw a clip on the news - one fan singing 'we are staying up'. I did not / do not belive we will be scrapping at the end of the season. I have always believed the players we have should be challenging for a play off spot. I think that is still an outside possibility. (PS I hope this post does not come back to haunt me)
Gus did well - the team did well - lets not get carried away though.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Nice to have a bloke who knows that middle aged men dont turn up to work in front of thousands of people wearing a track suit and baseball hat. Pleased we won as well ;-)

james

May 14, 2004
Lindfield
He took a few steps towards the fans and gave us a clap, but I thionk most of us missed it as we were all celebrating a great victory!!!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm so excited I've read all the news reports, watched the highlights and interviews umpteen times and am EVEN considering signing up for Seagulls World ... :ohmy::ohmy:

You should-it's worth it for the latest interview with GP on there.

Russell was a decent man who did a great job for us last season and bought in a couple of decent players but Gus has a totally different aura about him. He looks like a top manager should-let's hope he produces, long-term, like a top manager should. Everything about him so far suggests he will.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Early days yet - one swallow does not make a summer and all that - but managed to hook on to a free web-stream for the match, and it did look as if if the players knew exactly what they had to do, and where to do it, especially after we went 4-5-1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here