Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - Leaving for pastures new thread

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
This has been talked about before the ink was drying on his original contract let alone the 4 year deal he's just signed!

I for one like many others know that a BIG ex player such as Poyet will attract bigger clubs with bigger resources when the sack race begins, but Ive thought long and hard about this and for the short term I'm generally not that concerned.

He's just assembled a good squad over the past 12 months who seem without jumping any guns like competing in the top 3 of this division.

He's going to want a success on his Cv end of.

We also have that fantastic staduim that can compete and better most outside the premiership in regards to facilities and quality.

Lets say we do go up, the reasons above satisfy me enough that Poyet wont do a sideways move like Paulo Sousa from Swansea to Leicester as thats just too like for like and I think he's got his head screwed on in regards to that.

I generally believe he see's our potential as large otherwise the man wouldnt have taken the job in the first place, he never lowered himself as a player so I dont think he will as a manager, the fact that I dont think we will lose him to a fellow championship team is a good feeling in my opinion and he's going to need a bit of success first before the likes of Wigan, Fulham, West Brom and the mid table premiership brigade come knocking.

All that aside we need to enjoy every single match he's in charge because as many others have stated, this football is the best Ive personally ever seen and long may it continue!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
anyone know why he left chelsea?

With the arrival of new manager Claudio Ranieri in September 2000, Chelsea was a team in transition. With Ranieri seeking to reduce the average age of the squad, Poyet became surplus to requirements and requested a transfer. He joined Tottenham Hotspur in May 2001 for around £2.2m. In 145 appearances for Chelsea, Poyet scored 49 goals.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You never know in football do you? A great offer could come at any time - a decent club prepared to take a punt on the potential he is showing and he might well be tempted. But like you I think it would have to be a Premiership club (or the same level elsewhere) before he would consider it.

At the moment and for the moment we offer everything an ambitious young manager could want including an element of job security and time to learn and build that he is unlikely to be offered elsewhere.That will change of course and unless we make the Championship and then move rapidly upwards there will come a point when it is right for him to leave. No disrespect to Charlie but Gus and Tanno are the brains of the outfit and when they do go it will be key for Tony Bloom to be no less ambitious in replacing them. What that might involve will depend on where we are when it happens. We can rest assured it will be higher than it is now.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
anyone know why he left chelsea?

terry-poyet415.jpg

John Terry seemed to take the news badly! :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we go up this season, I firmly believe Gus will be here for at least one season at the Amex.

By that time his stock will have risen even further, and the first Premiership job that comes up (with a middle-ranking club having sacked their manager), his name will be all over it. He'll then leave us a league above where he took over, with a solid squad competing in the Championship.

Then he'll come back and take Calde, Lua Lua, Bennett and Greer, and we'll all hate him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
With the arrival of new manager Claudio Ranieri in September 2000, Chelsea was a team in transition. With Ranieri seeking to reduce the average age of the squad, Poyet became surplus to requirements and requested a transfer. He joined Tottenham Hotspur in May 2001 for around £2.2m. In 145 appearances for Chelsea, Poyet scored 49 goals.

You forget how good he was until you read those stats...49 in 145 is simply outstanding at that level from midfield.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If we go up this season, I firmly believe Gus will be here for at least one season at the Amex.

By that time his stock will have risen even further, and the first Premiership job that comes up (with a middle-ranking club having sacked their manager), his name will be all over it. He'll then leave us a league above where he took over, with a solid squad competing in the Championship.

basically what i said on the other thread.....can you settle a query for me..?? are managers bought and sold the same as players or do the teams involved agree on an appropriate compensation package,as Gustavo will still have three years to run at the end of our first championship season , we may get a lovely little pay-out if someone does want to pinch him...???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
basically what i said on the other thread.....can you settle a query for me..?? are managers bought and sold the same as players or do the teams involved agree on an appropriate compensation package,as Gustavo will still have three years to run at the end of our first championship season , we may get a lovely little pay-out if someone does want to pinch him...???

Managers don't have transfer valuations like players, but I would certainly expect TB has something built into Gus's contract about an amount of compensation being payable by the "poaching" club if he leaves.

A hefty amount as well.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak

basically what i said on the other thread.....can you settle a query for me..?? are managers bought and sold the same as players or do the teams involved agree on an appropriate compensation package,as Gustavo will still have three years to run at the end of our first championship season we may get a lovely little pay-out if someone does want to pinch him...???

Two years to run not 3

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The problem as I see it with Poyet is not particularly what he has acheived but the way he has acheived it.

West Ham and Newcastle are to name but 2 sides whose fans believe they should win eveything by playing beautiful football. Sooner or later a Premiership chairman will come knocking. A successful, big name manager who puts bums on seats is the Holy grail.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The majority of Gus's football career has been in England though, he seems pretty settled in this country and his son is set with Charltons youth, so I'd be amazed if he upped sticks and left the country in his next move.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm surprised that these threads about Poyet's future never seem to take into account the fact that top quality football is also played outside England.

I'm sure that most of us are fully aware of other countries - particularly Spain. But he's been in the UK a long time and while I'm sure that he'd be tempted away by a good offer, I can't see him jumping ship for a lower league Spanish club or a club at the bottom of La Liga. I could see him going to a top club but I reckon they'd want a better track record first.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Poyet will manage in the top flight in a couple of years or so. I feel he will stay and it will be us that he is managing in the premiership.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What will be will be. He and TB may have a blazing row today and he may walk out. Who knows? Baring that though, it depends on how ambitious he is and what his motivations are.

He can take the Paul Ince route, take a risk at a Premiership club before he is ready and get sacked after 6 months and have to start again. If he is sensible, he will take a more measured approach, cut his teeth and gain success with us for a few years and then move on to bigger and better things, either in this country or abroad. If he emulated Sir Bobby's career with us replacing Ipswich (13 years Sir Bobby was thereI believe), it would not be a bad way to go!! Well we can hope anyway.

The more important thing imho, is Tony Bloom. His first managerial appointment is a young, progressive manager that has the team playing (according to others on here because I am in no position to judge) potentially the best football BHA have ever played. Should Gus leave, I would expect him to make a similar appointment.

Anyway, dont worry chaps!! If Gus leaves, he leaves. Nothing you or I can do about it. Just enjoy it whilst it lasts!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here