Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Interview - Very Interesting.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The problem is, virtually all he spent last year was wasted on players he rarely uses.

I don't think he has wasted money on those players, he's just been unable to use them as he'd wish. Attacking wise we don't need to do too much to the squad, the players brought in will most likely be in other positions.

We have(or at least had prior to the west ham game) something like the 4th best defensive record in the division. Yet all season the vast majority of people have been saying that we need a new goalkeeper, two new full backs and another central midfielder. It begs the question how have we achieved that when we need new players in key defensive positions?

The answer, I think, lies in Poyet's view of the game. He would rather win or lose 1-0 than win or lose 5-4. He wants us to control games, to dominate them. To get close to doing that with the players he has has meant him sacrificing more of the attacking players to stiffen up or defensive play. If we sign the players we need and he wants then I am confident we will see the wingers and strikers unleashed far more often. But until we get a keeper who can make saves like Brezovan, is as comfortable on the ball as Ankegren and is able to dominate his box as well, until we get two decent full backs who don't constantly need protection from their wingers and until we get a midfield pairing able to dominate games Poyet will continue to play cautiously.

If we get those players then we'll have a team that can marry defensive resilience with attacking speed and prowess.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I hate that he always bangs on about money. Ok you need to be competitive but sometimes good old fashioned good management and team ethic can be just as effective.

Swansea spent hardly anything to get in the Premier league, also see Blackpool, Norwich, Burnley, Reading, Wolves.

Leicester spent a fortune and got nowhere, also see Forest, Ipswich, Cardiff.

If I was Tony Bloom and Id spent £6m and had my manager going on about the desperate need for money I'd be furious. I can see them falling out soon to be honest.

The difference between us and Swansea is that they have been knocking on the door for a while with a squad largely capable of operating in the Premier League whereas, we ain't.

Indeed t'was an interesting interview and unquestionably the Club is a million miles better off than when he came.

However that doesn't mean our Gus is immune from criticism and not capable of making mistakes which imho he does and he needs to learn as much as the players. Take the last 3 games - Burnley strange team selection with no width and he does a runner 5 mins from time - Reading we were superb and he stated afterwards that with football like that the Prem is a certainty - West Ham - several changes in team selection and a capitulation and now he sounds all moody again.

I personally believe he needs to temper his Latin ego, moderate some of what he says, try to keep more stability in team selection and learn from mistakes he has made.

I am skeptical that he will be with us much longer as he effectively stated that if we don't make the play offs next season he will be off with the caviat that he needs enough money to achieve that objective. I suspect TB is going to have his hands full in dealing with the wish list of GP for next year and I hope they can work together for the continued success of the club.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Is it me or does he sound a tad depressed?

It's you.

The cat's out of the bag, and without naming individuals, Gus has admitted (like the non-head-in-sand NSC contributors), that many of the players are simply not good enough for the upper echelons of the Championship. All will be revealed in the Summer, when hopefully they are moved on.

I love his honesty, and for keeping the fans informed.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
The difference between us and Swansea is that they have been knocking on the door for a while with a squad largely capable of operating in the Premier League whereas, we ain't.

Exactly. The Swansea team that ripped highly fancied Reading apart at Wembley last May included some proven class - Rangel, Dyer, Sinclair, Pratley, Luke Moore, Allen & Britton.
They had been building over 2 or 3 years, with no doubt an established high payroll to afford such talent.

TB & Gus will be working together to achieve the same, with no division between them.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I am skeptical that he will be with us much longer as he effectively stated that if we don't make the play offs next season he will be off with the caviat that he needs enough money to achieve that objective. I suspect TB is going to have his hands full in dealing with the wish list of GP for next year and I hope they can work together for the continued success of the club.

That's not what i heard.

He talked about ultimately reaching a ceiling with the club, yes, but he stated, yet again, that he is in no rush to manage in the Premiership and he is sure that he will get there sooner or later with Brighton.

He talked about steady progress within the club. He said that if next year we reach the play-off's (and do not win them), the following year's aim would be top 2 or winning the play-off's.

I'm sorry, but that does not sound like a man who is not going to hang around very long.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
That's not what i heard.

He talked about ultimately reaching a ceiling with the club, yes, but he stated, yet again, that he is in no rush to manage in the Premiership and he is sure that he will get there sooner or later with Brighton.

He talked about steady progress within the club. He said that if next year we reach the play-off's (and do not win them), the following year's aim would be top 2 or winning the play-off's.

I'm sorry, but that does not sound like a man who is not going to hang around very long.

Agreed. All is good. Gus will be working positivelyabout who has to go in the Summer, and which (class) targets to replace them.

Gus made it plain all along that he didn't see May 2012 as the squad being ready for the PL.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That's not what i heard.

He is talking about league positions in two years time, yet you think that it sounds like he will not be around for long? The average time for a manager to be at a club in the football league? One and a half years. In two years time Gus will have been here four and a half years.

Too many people on this site seem to want to look for the negatives. Surely planning for the future indicates that Gus does intend to be here a while.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gus, we're still in the hunt for a play-off place!

I agree with everything he's saying, but think he should have saved it for the time when we're mathematically eliminated from the play-offs. Where does he go with his teamtalk if we - unlikely though it is - finish Top 6?

I can't help but think Gus speaks from the heart a little too readily, and he's letting the 6-0 get to him. Did Man Utd capitulate after losing 6-1 to City? No, they went on a run and will probably win the title.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gus, we're still in the hunt for a play-off place!

I agree with everything he's saying, but think he should have saved it for the time when we're mathematically eliminated from the play-offs. Where does he go with his teamtalk if we - unlikely though it is - finish Top 6?

I can't help but think Gus speaks from the heart a little too readily, and he's letting the 6-0 get to him. Did Man Utd capitulate after losing 6-1 to City? No, they went on a run and will probably win the title.

The point he's making is it's largely out of our hands now.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He is talking about league positions in two years time, yet you think that it sounds like he will not be around for long? The average time for a manager to be at a club in the football league? One and a half years. In two years time Gus will have been here four and a half years.

Too many people on this site seem to want to look for the negatives. Surely planning for the future indicates that Gus does intend to be here a while.

My last sentence had a double negative in it - sorry. ("I'm sorry, but that does not sound like a man who is not going to hang around very long"). In other words, he sounds like a man who IS going to hang around a long time.

I believe Gus WILL be around for a long time and is making sensible long term plans.

My post was in response to someone who thought that he would NOT be around for a long time (ie someone looking for negatives).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't think he has wasted money on those players, he's just been unable to use them as he'd wish. Attacking wise we don't need to do too much to the squad, the players brought in will most likely be in other positions.

We have(or at least had prior to the west ham game) something like the 4th best defensive record in the division. Yet all season the vast majority of people have been saying that we need a new goalkeeper, two new full backs and another central midfielder. It begs the question how have we achieved that when we need new players in key defensive positions?

The answer, I think, lies in Poyet's view of the game. He would rather win or lose 1-0 than win or lose 5-4. He wants us to control games, to dominate them. To get close to doing that with the players he has has meant him sacrificing more of the attacking players to stiffen up or defensive play. If we sign the players we need and he wants then I am confident we will see the wingers and strikers unleashed far more often. But until we get a keeper who can make saves like Brezovan, is as comfortable on the ball as Ankegren and is able to dominate his box as well, until we get two decent full backs who don't constantly need protection from their wingers and until we get a midfield pairing able to dominate games Poyet will continue to play cautiously.

If we get those players then we'll have a team that can marry defensive resilience with attacking speed and prowess.

Spot on - just like when Gus first took over in League One, priority ONE was to make us tough and resilient defensively, make us hard to beat. We are now (generally) pretty tough to beat, 4 losses at home all season would suggest that also.

Last season we scored 4 goals plenty of times, so for people to suggest Gus is generally a defensive manager would be a falsehood. He simply wants us solid in this division first, get that foundation right and then we can go ahead and attack.

Can't wait for next season.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Three years Swansea were in The Championship and certainly didnt spend big on transfers, they just went about getting the right players for a system. I certainly NEVER heard Rodgers publicly bleating on about needing more cash to be good enough in what could be seen as a veiled threat to the chairman.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
In reality, we are out of the play offs. To make up 5 points from here is all but impossible.

Gus has made mistakes, even his most ardent supporter would say this. However, we have had a great season. Identified several players who are capable of playing at this level and maybe higher, Vincente, Greer, Dunk, El Abd, Bridcutt, Buckley and Lua Lua. We have some good Chapionship players too in the squad. Noone, Barnes and a couple of talented youngsters, JFC and Adgestein who could be important players next season. CMS could still turn out to be a good buy and is a great squad player.

We are weak in goal, both full backs, power in midfield and a player who can lead the line and finish. (This is the one that will cost both a big fee and big wages) Get those in and we can be a real force next season. I don't think that this is going to require huge funds, we don't need 10 new players, just 4-5 quality buys who can make a difference.

More importantly, we have had a season of revenue in from the ground. Last season, they had all of the expense of the set up without being able to accurately forecast revenues or the previous seasons takings. This year they have both and will be able to plan and hopefully expand the player budget accordingly...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Three years Swansea were in The Championship and certainly didnt spend big on transfers, they just went about getting the right players for a system. I certainly NEVER heard Rodgers publicly bleating on about needing more cash to be good enough in what could be seen as a veiled threat to the chairman.

You make 2 completely separate points in your 2 sentences and it seems obvious that it's the second point is what's exercising you.

I agree that Gus can sometimes shoot from the hip but that's just Gus .Why not look at the complete package of benefits he's delivered rather than nit-pick individual "faults"?

Some could see Gus's comments as veiled threats, others won't.

Me, I'm just enjoying a transformation at the Albion I've not been part of since Peter Taylor's days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here