Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Interview - Very Interesting.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This close season is gonna be fascinating. I'm hoping for similar if not even more ramped up excitement on signings. The CMS and Lua Lua signings had so many of us unable to work as we hit the refresh button. Makes the close season bearable for those of us who hate cricket.

Indeed, the anxiety as the rumour of a BIG signing seems to have some credability, then sdomeone in the know (genuinely) like Bozza posts something that confirms there is some truth in the rumour. Refresh, refresh, refresh, as the "Steve Sidwell to return" threads grows and grows.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That was taken from the press conference that is on Player now. He does not look depressed. Most of what was in that press conference has already been mentioned elsewhere on NSC.

Came across as realistic, determined to get better himself and the squad and said it like it is really - we have done well with a squad that, other than two or three, have never played at a higher level, but to push on we need players with more experience of higher level football.

The start of that clip was in response to a question about our physical side (ie we get beaten by physical teams) and he agreed, hence why he says that there are not many 6 foot 2 bruiser's that can pass further than 2 yards and the ones that are around are going to be expensive.

He is going to use the next 3 games to confirm or otherwise the viability of certain players at this level. He is not going to pick any kids tonight and probably not against Birmingham as it is unfair on the other playoff team to play an experimental side against Birmingham.

Re Vicente, he said that he is not going to push the matter. Vicente has to decide what he wants to do. The advantage of him staying at Brighton are that if fit, he will play. The player knows that - if he wants to go to a bigger club where he may not play, then that is up to him. Gus is not going to stand in his way.

And he also said, yet again, that he is in no rush to manage in the Prem. He believes that if we keep progressing as we have, he will get there with Brighton sooner or later.

The cull will only happen after he knows what he can get - he would rather risk a player he knows rather than get in someone not a lot better who he does not.

I would say that he was upbeat, philosophical, talked a lot of sense as per usual and that whole interview was very good and balanced. He always interviews extremely well, I think, in these conferences as opposed to the immediate aftermath of a game.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
'They gonna think Im a bad person or a bad manager [when I get rid of them], cos they'll say they didn't have a chance, when they did have a chance'

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That was taken from the press conference that is on Player now. He does not look depressed. Most of what was in that press conference has already been mentioned elsewhere on NSC.

Came across as realistic, determined to get better himself and the squad and said it like it is really - we have done well with a squad that, other than two or three, have never played at a higher level, but to push on we need players with more experience of higher level football.

The start of that clip was in response to a question about our physical side (ie we get beaten by physical teams) and he agreed, hence why he says that there are not many 6 foot 2 bruiser's that can pass further than 2 yards and the ones that are around are going to be expensive.

He is going to use the next 3 games to confirm or otherwise the viability of certain players at this level. He is not going to pick any kids tonight and probably not against Birmingham as it is unfair on the other playoff team to play an experimental side against Birmingham.

Re Vicente, he said that he is not going to push the matter. Vicente has to decide what he wants to do. The advantage of him staying at Brighton are that if fit, he will play. The player knows that - if he wants to go to a bigger club where he may not play, then that is up to him. Gus is not going to stand in his way.

And he also said, yet again, that he is in no rush to manage in the Prem. He believes that if we keep progressing as we have, he will get there with Brighton sooner or later.

The cull will only happen after he knows what he can get - he would rather risk a player he knows rather than get in someone not a lot better who he does not.

I would say that he was upbeat, philosophical, talked a lot of sense as per usual and that whole interview was very good and balanced. He always interviews extremely well, I think, in these conferences as opposed to the immediate aftermath of a game.

Nicely summed up....wish i could construct my sentences like you :(

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
think hes also making it clear that the play-offs are now out of reach and we need to be thinking towards next season.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I hate that he always bangs on about money. Ok you need to be competitive but sometimes good old fashioned good management and team ethic can be just as effective.

Swansea spent hardly anything to get in the Premier league, also see Blackpool, Norwich, Burnley, Reading, Wolves.

Leicester spent a fortune and got nowhere, also see Forest, Ipswich, Cardiff.

If I was Tony Bloom and Id spent £6m and had my manager going on about the desperate need for money I'd be furious. I can see them falling out soon to be honest.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I hate that he always bangs on about money. Ok you need to be competitive but sometimes good old fashioned good management and team ethic can be just as effective.

Swansea spent hardly anything to get in the Premier league, also see Blackpool, Norwich, Burnley, Reading, Wolves.

If I was Tony Bloom and Id spent £6m and had my manager going on about the desperate need for money I'd be furious. I can see them falling out soon to be honest.

could u refresh my memory over where the 6mill was spent....and will u b offsetting the sale of bennett

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I, on the other hand, think completely the opposite, and I don't believe Tony Bloom is quite so emotional. Both him and Gus are pragmatists. The money Gus has spent this season is to make us competitive. The leap to make us promotion candidates is bigger still.

It's not a case of what Swansea or anyone else spent - it's a case of building up their squads over a number of seasons, bit by bit, in order to improve until they can make it up to the top division. Norwich went straight up because they already had the squad largely in place, and frankly should never have been in the Third Division in the first place.

You can hate it all you like about Gus and the money - but he is spot on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perhaps now that John Stephenson has gone and the new fella David Burke is in that role we may see some better quality signings? Maybe we won't go spunking £500k on the likes of Harley & Hoskins.

Firstly, we don't know whether David Burke is going to be any better or worse than Stephenson or even if he and Poyet will get on! As for Hoskins, struggled with injury but when fit was not really given a chance. Hopefully he hasn't fallen out with Poyet and will come back and contribute next season along with Vicente and a few new signings.

D

Deleted User X18H

I, on the other hand, think completely the opposite, and I don't believe Tony Bloom is quite so emotional. Both him and Gus are pragmatists. The money Gus has spent this season is to make us competitive. The leap to make us promotion candidates is bigger still.

It's not a case of what Swansea or anyone else spent - it's a case of building up their squads over a number of seasons, bit by bit, in order to improve until they can make it up to the top division. Norwich went straight up because they already had the squad largely in place, and frankly should never have been in the Third Division in the first place.

He said yesterday morning he wants us to keep improving. He also said the Chairman gave him a budget last season to that in his opinion put us in the top two, but at the time Gus thought top six more realistic. Then admitted ah, the Chairman was right.

Not sure if it was broadcast (as it all got a bit Chelsea) but he reiterated his desire to manage in the Premier League even suggesting he implored Abramovitch to give Chelsea job to one of us (Squad of 1997/2000) But he is in no hurry. He thinks he can do it with the Albion.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

There is no dissent in North Korea.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Absolutely right.

As HB&B has said, he thought last year top 6 was realistic, TB said top 2 and the chairman was right! But that, to me, shows that Gus can get more out of his players. But there is a limit and in order to improve we need to spend.

He mentioned a sensible progression - aim for play-offs next year and if we don't win them, the following year, top 2 or win the play-offs. He knows this squad is not good enough for promotion and he has known that all along, hence when we were top all those months ago, he played it down.

I am not sure why people are trying to create friction between him and TB. All he said in that press conference was that the budget meeting with the chairman will be interesting and then he smiled. He was just saying what every sensible person knows anyway.

Viewing from afar, my impression is that we have in TB and Gus, two ambitious but pragmatic people who share a common goal - to get to the Prem but not at all costs. We will get there eventually, people just need to be patient.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Absolutely right.

As HB&B has said, he thought last year top 6 was realistic, TB said top 2 and the chairman was right! But that, to me, shows that Gus can get more out of his players. But there is a limit and in order to improve we need to spend.

He mentioned a sensible progression - aim for play-offs next year and if we don't win them, the following year, top 2 or win the play-offs. He knows this squad is not good enough for promotion and he has known that all along, hence when we were top all those months ago, he played it down.

I am not sure why people are trying to create friction between him and TB. All he said in that press conference was that the budget meeting with the chairman will be interesting and then he smiled. He was just saying what every sensible person knows anyway.

Viewing from afar, my impression is that we have in TB and Gus, two ambitious but pragmatic people who share a common goal - to get to the Prem but not at all costs. We will get there eventually, people just need to be patient.

Spot on. I get every sense that Tony and Gus's relationship is good-to-very-good.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Of course we need to build over time, and continue to invest to get to where we want to be, but always publicly going on about Money, when he has been given a very decent budget, is a bit crass imo. Is it some sort of public blackmail to Tony Bloom? Give me money or I'm likely to be off or cant deliver improvement? It would piss me off. The fact we were in the Play Offs 4 games ago, and team selections are almost largely responsible for us no longer being there is not about money. I agree we do need to spend some more but how much did Ian Holloway spend at Blackpool?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course we need to build over time, and continue to invest to get to where we want to be, but always publicly going on about Money, when he has been given a very decent budget, is a bit crass imo. Is it some sort of public blackmail to Tony Bloom? Give me money or I'm likely to be off or cant deliver improvement? It would piss me off. The fact we were in the Play Offs 4 games ago, and team selections are almost largely responsible for us no longer being there is not about money. I agree we do need to spend some more but how much did Ian Holloway spend at Blackpool?

Regarding the "very decent budget", you're guessing, aren't you?

Tony asks for playoffs, then gives the 16th-best budget in the league. It's a constant to-and-fro between Tony and Gus. Tony sensibly wants to get to the Prem as "sustainably" as possible, but there are points where Gus needs to highlight the quality needed for that extra push.

They both know what each other needs, and from the outside it looks like they have a perfectly healthy relationship.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
could u refresh my memory over where the 6mill was spent....and will u b offsetting the sale of bennett

Are you really such a complete bore?

CMS £2.5m
Hoskins £500k
Buckley £1m
Lua Lua Probably £500k
Harley £250k
Vincente Free

Plus at least an average of £8k a week wages = £2.5m

Offset agains Bennets £1.5 m and there is hardly any change out of £6m. Learn maths!

Thats not even thinking about wages on Vokes, Assulin, Razak, Mattock, Reyes, Harper, Painter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Are you really such a complete bore?

CMS £2.5m
Hoskins £500k
Buckley £1m
Lua Lua Probably £500k
Harley £250k
Vincente ...

Stopped reading at that point.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Regarding the "very decent budget", you're guessing, aren't you?

You dont think Gus has been given a very decent budget this season? How many other Championship clubs have spent as much as us on transfers? Jesus.

We've been told that, all in, (wages and transfers) we're about 16th in the table. And we know that Tony wanted playoffs, if possible. So no, the budget didn't quite match the ambition, thus Gus asking for more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here