Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet appreciation thread

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I love the bloke for what he has done for us - and what he will do in the future.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
I suppose all these JCLs are unaware what an awesome job he did getting us promoted from league one. We are very lucky to have our current setup especially the chairman and manager, who are going about building sustainable improvement on and off the pitch. I believe Gus is the man to get us up and more importantly keep us up, whether that takes one year or five. (I can't see it taking more than 3)

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
To be fair I don't watch Brighton week in and out but he does seem a bit one trick pony realy changes things to go on and win a game and made some very strange transfers. Think he's lucky he has a good chairman many clubs rightly or wrongly would have got shot by now

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Another 5 years of the one dimensional, mind numbingly boring, tactically inept management style. Oh yes please !!

If you want drama, go and support Pompey.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be fair I don't watch Brighton week in and out but he does seem a bit one trick pony realy changes things to go on and win a game and made some very strange transfers. Think he's lucky he has a good chairman many clubs rightly or wrongly would have got shot by now

This longevity thing and believing in your manager just doesn't work does it? Ask Man Utd for instance.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
This longevity thing and believing in your manager just doesn't work does it? Ask Man Utd for instance.

Gus is doing fine at present, but im not one who will lick his arse unconditionally. I completely agree with his mid season views and know how he feels when he sits there and watches his strikers miss sitters time and again..... not much he can do from the touchline. But, from what he says in his interviews, he knows exactly whats needed and January is a big month for him, assuming he has the cash to spend on new players. Hopefully he can offload some deadwood too to free up vital cash/spaces within the squad.

Its going to be an interesting run in and im looking forward to it.....

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Fair play but Alex had always had money and could bring in players when needed,the best players in the world ,gus has to bring players on from the youth squad or buy wisely has he done that?

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Fair play but Alex had always had money and could bring in players when needed,the best players in the world ,gus has to bring players on from the youth squad or buy wisely has he done that?

He's done well enough to take Albion a division and a half beyond where he started.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Gus is doing fine at present, but im not one who will lick his arse unconditionally. I completely agree with his mid season views and know how he feels when he sits there and watches his strikers miss sitters time and again..... not much he can do from the touchline. But, from what he says in his interviews, he knows exactly whats needed and January is a big month for him, assuming he has the cash to spend on new players. Hopefully he can offload some deadwood too to free up vital cash/spaces within the squad.

Its going to be an interesting run in and im looking forward to it.....

I'm disappointed in all honesty with our first half season performance overall, and GP's handling of it, but I am old enough and not stupid enough to realise he is still a manager in transition, new to it, has one full season at this level to his name and is still cutting his cloth. It's not like we have been consistently in the bottom half of the Championship for the past 16 months and I for one am patient. I also want to see our club as investing in one manager as opposed to 6 a season, ok exagerration, but you know what I mean. Stability is 50% of a decent football side and we are getting it right. I can live with my slight disappointment thus far, I don't need the manager out, I'm not a Prem style supporter.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Ferguson's babes? Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Sharp, etc... brought through some decent youngsters that cost nothing.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ferguson's babes? Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Sharp, etc... brought through some decent youngsters that cost nothing.

Not to mention his incredible achievements at Aberdeen.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I love what Gus is trying to do. At times during this season from my seat in the west stand I been utterly amazed by the style and flair football that I am watching and can't believe this is my team that I am watching. The same one that I used to watch at the Withdean hoof the ball around and just hope that by some magic they may win a game. then go home and watch MOTD to see skillfull football players. I know that some of the results have been disappointing, but we are sooo close to being a perfect team you can almost feel it. Patience is a virtue.... If we keep it, I am sure we will all reap the rewards.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm sure the majority of Swansea fans showed a greater degree of patience, intelligence and dignity.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
For me he's made us the stuff of dreams. Now, not every dream i manage to part remember has me roll and tussle and sweat with thrill, or tell everybody about, but they were there and normally stood out against the blackness of the night that surrounds them. Gus has upgraded our dreams each season and in doing so raised our expectations. He'll develop, and hopefully so will we as viewers and supporters in dealing with the flatline of spells betwixt fantasy, of it all not being quite as remarkable as those orgasmic moments we've been so surprisingly exposed to glimpses of.
In my time with the Albion i have never been so amazed, and Gus is a factor in that. I don't want it to stop for some time yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here