Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on Radio Sussex...... we will break transfer record again

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
According to that @SkyGraemeBailey on twitter we are in for someone from la lagia!

is that the Graeme who's on Radio 5 sometimes, the spanish footy guy (actually that's Hunter isn't it, plus the SKY bit of his twitter name should have given me a clue!) Anyway was just going to say... speculate away but the signing will almost certainly be somebody from overseas who nobody has heard of. So i reckon the la liga shout is about right. In Gus we trust.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
if it was me, i would go for alan lee at hudds, who was signed from palace. Clarke never really used him as best and he changed the game when he came on last game of the season....i think he cost over a million, but he would be a great addition

donkey

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I am mindful that TB and Gus have stated they are looking for 6-7 players. Hoskins & Buckley will be in the team. I anticipate the two youngsters from Chelsea will have more of a development role next season. Maybe that leaves 4-5 other signings to come.

Top of our shopping list must be a proven 20-25 goal striker to benefit from the pace of Hoskins, Buckley, Noone etc. I hope that Barnes gets a chance to continue developing - but alongside a forward that will scare defences.

Compliment this with a couple of midfielders: a) a playmaker who can deliver the early ball to our speedsters, and b) a gritty 'wise' head / ball winner / 'foot on the ball' when required type of player. All very well having an attractive team going forward but also need a bit of steel in the engine room.

I am excited about how we will look going forward. However Championship teams will counter attack and press harder onto us so am a little anxious that we reinforce the defence. Don't want to become a Posh - with loads of goals at both ends. Finally I am not sure that Ankergren is the solid keeper we will need?

Hope we have the budget to do this - if so we will be some team.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
The biggest expense that clubs usually have is wages, just say that we have signed 5 players all on £10,000 a week. That equates to just over £2.5m a year, along with the wages of the other players already there it certainly adds up. Then players are usually on 3 year contracts. This is how teams usually get into financial trouble, not by the transfer fees but by the wages that the players cost them!

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
According to that @SkyGraemeBailey on twitter we are in for someone from la lagia!

la lagia is indeed the mexican top division

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
look all I am saying is lets get this in perspective.

we have all on here at various times slagged off in a self rightous way other clubs for "spending beyond their means" and slagging off clubs who have owners who splash the cash....Abramovitch, Glaziers etc....now it looks as though we are doing the same, so I sincerely hope that we have the finances available to do this ( outside of Bloom) that can support such spending!

At the end of teh day, bloom built us a spankingly new horrendously expensive stadium, that Knight hinted the banks would not finance....so hopefullty our business model is based on income from football and the stadium, rather than asking bloom to turna card and finance buying players

I agree.

We should be able to enjoy the benefits of the new stadium, and the financing it brings, but we must be mindful. I'm one of those that are not quick to be overly sympathetic to fans of clubs in administration because they sat back and let their club get into the position because they got prem football, Ac Milan at home etc.

I don't want to then be guilty of revelling in spending that sends our club the same way.

However, I think Tony's family history with the club suggests he isn't just in it to make money, which gives me hope that at the moment at least he is making the right the decisions.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Top of our shopping list must be a proven 20-25 goal striker to benefit from the pace of Hoskins, Buckley, Noone etc.

A proven 20-25 goal a season striker in the Championship would be way, way, way too expensive for us and would be looking for a move to the Premiership, not to us, who are unproven in this division.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Central defender is an absolute must to complement Gordon.

Adam has a bad injury and we do not know when he will be ready - or if good enough to the Championship. Perfect defensive sub who could cover almost all positions.

Tommy is competent but no experience at a higher level and Lewis is still learning his trade.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION]

I think what you're saying is entirely reasonable and I feel the same way myself. However with the massive influx in season ticket revenue plus a decent fee on the way for Bennett - I think we'll be okay. We've signed players to the value of £1.5m and I think Bennett will go for around that fee. So although our wages have no doubt gone up I don't think we're putting ourself at significant financial risk.

If we signed three million pound players then I sweat a little as that would be a huge gamble for us. But as things stand with a new stadium, increased revenue and *hopefully* lower running costs I don't think we're over stretching. :)

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Central defender is an absolute must to complement Gordon.

Adam has a bad injury and we do not know when he will be ready - or if good enough to the Championship. Perfect defensive sub who could cover almost all positions.

Tommy is competent but no experience at a higher level and Lewis is still learning his trade.

Finally , I thought I was the only one that thought this.As things stand with injuries and Gordons lack of pace i have concerns about the centre of our defense. Some cover at LB/RB would be good too as surely Tanno wont be expected to get his boots on again this season. I am sure Gus has a plan so fingers crossed ......

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Emilio Nsue from Mallorca??

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The lethargic Murray gone, and two speedsters arriving so far...looks to me like Gus is trying to inject a bit more PACE into our forward line for next season. The patient build-up from the back, then a sudden turn of pace off the defenders shoulder, the ball slipped through and BANG, we're in behind them. I can see it all now.

:sexwee:

That made me chuckle and once the laughter had subsided, I have genuinely never ever been so excited and optimistic about our future.

Bloody marvelous!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Valdo from Levante ?
Damia from Osasuna ?
Alexis from Sevilla ?
Rui Fonte from Espanyol ?

Good fun chucking all these totally random names from La Liga round innit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here