Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: It would have to be something very, very very unique something very very special

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting. What if Villa came knocking (have heard this from two people in the midlands - one a Villa fan and one a WBA fan)? No credible source, just fan chat, but I'm not sure it would need to be - or ever would be at this stage of his career - a top six side to tempt him.

I suppose any medium-sized Premier League club is on the face of it going to look like an attractive proposition. But as has often been said, the most important relationship at any club is the one betweeen the chairman and the manager. All indications seem to be that Gus and TB have an excellent working relationship. Gus runs the playing side throughout the club from top to bottom, he's got a chairman who (a) won't sell players from under him and (b) will back him in the transfer market, with no meddling. You're not necessarily going to get that with another board or another chairman, and I don't think thats something Gus would like to discard lightly.

Plus after the playing career he's had, I doubt Gus is short of a few bob, so money would not necessarily be a strong driving factor. Naah, I am confident we have got Gus for a good while yet. Even if the Uruguay job came up, I'm not sure he'd want to swap the day-to-day involvement he has at a football club for the less busy International scene at this stage of his career, although you never know, a World Cup campaign might appeal. But on the whole, I can't see him leaving us any time soon.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
because the £100 million stadium doesn't show ambition enough??

It could cost £2,500m but with 22k seats it's hardly ambitious for any club looking to get to and compete in the top division and that would certainly be a factor for an ambitious manager like Gustavo.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It could cost £2,500m but with 22k seats it's hardly ambitious for any club looking to get to and compete in the top division and that would certainly be a factor for an ambitious manager like Gustavo.

How about when it goes up to 30k in the near future with no real debt?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Poyet admits being sad to leave Brighton's 'lucky' Withdean

Gus Poyet's Brighton can clinch promotion to the Championship tonight if they can beat Dagenham and Redbridge with Poyet admitting he will be sorry to leave the club's rickety Withdean home.

Brighton head to their 22,500 seater stadium at Falmer in August but Poyet admitted the former zoo and athletics track - the club's home for the last ten years - had been a lucky omen. Brighton have won their last 12 home matches and the stadium's strange lay out and bumpy surface have grown on the former Chelsea and Uruguay star.

Poyet said: "For a whole year I was blaming Withdean Stadium for all our problems. Now I feel sad that we are leaving. The place has a certain charm and it is certainly different. Other clubs do not always like playing on it. But best of all I like it because we have won so many games here. We know how to play on it and we have so many matches here this season.''

Brighton can clinch the League One title before their showdown with south coast rivals Southampton later this month.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Without any context of what means a "very special" offer that interview means very little. You'd have to think lower Premiership teams would be looking at him, especially if we start well next season. I'm not convinced he'll leave but "very special" could mean the chance to manage in the Premiership.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Without any context of what means a "very special" offer that interview means very little. You'd have to think lower Premiership teams would be looking at him, especially if we start well next season. I'm not convinced he'll leave but "very special" could mean the chance to manage in the Premiership.

Special but not 'very special' and certainly not 'very very unique'. He's got the freedom here to set up a whole system to play the way he wants the first team to play. That must be fairly unique in the leagues.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Special but not 'very special' and certainly not 'very very unique'. He's got the freedom here to set up a whole system to play the way he wants the first team to play. That must be fairly unique in the leagues.

Fair enough. I just get a bit frustrated when people who see through media puff in the case of any other club get particularly excited about media puff regarding our own club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Many managers have come a cropper being lured by the filthy lucre of the Premiership on the back of doing well in the Third or Fourth Division. It's a scenario Gus wouldn't personally want to fall victim to.

The point someone made earlier about Gus being able to dictate the terms he needs in order to operate at any given club just might not be available higher up the leagues, especially with the pressures on Premier League clubs to stay in the Premier League. He would need time, resources, patience and total support in order to implement what he wants. Time and patience are not particularly prevalent in the Premier League.

Point is, it seems (though of course I don't KNOW) he has just that arrangement here, without the added unnecessary pressures from the board.

So what's the hurry to sod off just yet?

larus

From an outsider looking in, it seems that we have a chairman who doesn't want the limelight and it quite happy to let the manager get on and do his job properly. I don't think this is the case at all clubs where there is financial pressure or chairman craving success for their own egos. I see a relationship which 'appears' to be excellent; I'm sure they may have differences of opinions, maybe even arguments, but so what.

Gus gives the impression of being content with his lot; new stadium, bigger budget (I assume), ambitious chairman, development squad, planned new training facilities,etc. How many clubs (including premiership), will be able to offer him that? Then there's also the huge goodwill which he has built up with the fan-base. If we go through a dodgy period next year and struggle, how many sensible fans will be saying "Gus Out". OK, the usual losers will be slagging him off, but they will be in the minority (I hope).

I feel as though the comments are genuine; he's not thinkiing of trying to engineer a move IMO.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He was very upset - too upset? - by the backpass boo boys earlier in the season. He took that to herart when in fact it wasn't very many people. I wonder if there is a chance that he is the type of person who might one day flounce? No signs so far, but he's a Latin!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's certainly what you want to hear from our fantastic manager, but I just hope his loyalty isn't put to the test if a club like Everton or Aston Villa come calling. They are both undoubtedly bigger clubs than we could ever aspire to becoming and if the money was right and the infrastructure looked good you'd have to say his loyalty would be severely tested.

The major reason I see Gus even considering turning down such a job is that he is able to play a football version of Sim City down here thanks to Bloom's cash. He is building a side in his own mold, down to an academy, and an ever expanding and improving venue to match his team's ability - all located in one of England's premier citys, a spitting distance from the capital. In many ways, it is the perfect managerial job.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He was very upset - too upset? - by the backpass boo boys earlier in the season. He took that to herart when in fact it wasn't very many people. I wonder if there is a chance that he is the type of person who might one day flounce? No signs so far, but he's a Latin!

I think he tells the media what he actually thinks rather than giving the standard "they're entitled to their views" crap response.

CheshireSeagull

Jul 24, 2009
Cheshire
Only possible temptations are the top 6 from Premiership, top 2 from Spain or Uruguay.

He could build something massive with us knowing he will get the support and backing from his chairman to do so.

He won't get offered a high prestigious job until he has got us to top half of Prem, so we have nothing to worry about for a couple of years at least, but even when he has done that he may stay to see how far he can take us.

all top 6 prem clubs have foriegn owners who wouldnt have a clue about poyet and what hes done niether will madrid or barca!!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's certainly what you want to hear from our fantastic manager, but I just hope his loyalty isn't put to the test if a club like Everton or Aston Villa come calling. They are both undoubtedly bigger clubs than we could ever aspire to becoming and if the money was right and the infrastructure looked good you'd have to say his loyalty would be severely tested.

The major reason I see Gus even considering turning down such a job is that he is able to play a football version of Sim City down here thanks to Bloom's cash. He is building a side in his own mold, down to an academy, and an ever expanding and improving venue to match his team's ability - all located in one of England's premier citys, a spitting distance from the capital. In many ways, it is the perfect managerial job.

Totally agree. Gus seems to enjoy the challenge of management and he has his own vision of how to do things and Bloom is allowing him free rein to implement it. It's not offers from other clubs that I fear, it's boredom and frustration.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
all top 6 prem clubs have foriegn owners who wouldnt have a clue about poyet and what hes done niether will madrid or barca!!

That is kinda my point, he will only go to a unique job and they are very unlikely to give him that opportunity until he has established a side in the premiership. I was suggesting he will be around for a while longer

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I know it may not make any sense but West Ham worry me a bit too.

I have a soft spot for the Hammers myself but I can't see how Poyet would be tempted.

Club finances are in disarray, there is no planning going on bar the most myopic game to game, transfer to transfer window type and the Chairmen are showing themselves as utterly disloyal to their managers as well as being two of the biggest clowns in English football at the moment. In addition, they'd have to stay up first, which is looking far from a certainty.

However, if a relatively secure Premiership club (financially & league position wise) came knocking then I wouldn't be suprised. There's probably only about 10 of those at present.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here