Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus I'm bored

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I am bored listening to excuses instead of reasons why we are not scoring, if we hadn't have wasted loads of money on loads of midfielders that don't get a sniff of the team then we could have got the special striker

We got Dobbie who according to Mr Aspinall was SLOW, LAZY AND LOOKED UNINTERESTED describing during the commentary... like Murray 3 seasons ago

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Hugely taken out of context, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good old fashioned NSC binfest. :facepalm:

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I dont get his comments at all and there's no real logic behind them.

It all appears very simple to me, we didnt have the wage budget to bring in the class of striker we needed....or am I completely wrong?

Everyone goes on about Target man, Target Man, Target man....I dont see why we needed a target man, just a striker alongside CMS that can score goals would have done me.

The likes of Billy Sharpe, Simon Cox, Jermaine Beckford, Charlie Austin (before he got shed loads and now will defo be out of reach)....not all target men but surely should have been within reach if were pressing towards the goal of promotion.

I know we dont want to break the bank but how many teams go up without breaking the bank?

Gus saying he is bored is a stupid comment as least he's paid shed loads to be bored where as the average fan has to fork out of his own pocket, I know Gus said he feels for the fans but letting go of Noone, not signing a striker and bringing in Dobbie, Orlandi and holding onto Vicente look like mistakes to me but I dont know what goes on behind the scenes.

- Noone might have desperately wanted to go
- We dont have the budget to attract
- Orlandi and Dobbie seemed good options but so did Harley at the time!

We lack good, strong and creative match winners....were 2 players/match winners short.....that for me is the problem!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I dont get his comments at all and there's no real logic behind them.

It all appears very simple to me, we didnt have the wage budget to bring in the class of striker we needed....or am I completely wrong?

Everyone goes on about Target man, Target Man, Target man....I dont see why we needed a target man, just a striker alongside CMS that can score goals would have done me.

The likes of Billy Sharpe, Simon Cox, Jermaine Beckford, Charlie Austin (before he got shed loads and now will defo be out of reach)....not all target men but surely should have been within reach if were pressing towards the goal of promotion.

I know we dont want to break the bank but how many teams go up without breaking the bank?

Gus saying he is bored is a stupid comment as least he's paid shed loads to be bored where as the average fan has to fork out of his own pocket, I know Gus said he feels for the fans but letting go of Noone, not signing a striker and bringing in Dobbie, Orlandi and holding onto Vicente look like mistakes to me but I dont know what goes on behind the scenes.

- Noone might have desperately wanted to go
- We dont have the budget to attract
- Orlandi and Dobbie seemed good options but so did Harley at the time!

We lack good, strong and creative match winners....were 2 players/match winners short.....that for me is the problem!

don't know whether or not you were at the pre-season fan's forum, but that is where Gus said we needed a 'target man' to a) take the weight off CMS and b) help him. So it is not 'everyone going on about target man' , merely quoting what our manager said.
If we hadn't laid out so much money bringing in midfielders galore (although not sure it was that much) we would have had more money for said 'TM'.....
Now I hear him quoted as saying ' probably won't sign anyone now because it takes too long to get him up to speed with our style of play' .......surely all it takes is ' ball.....net......?'
Beginning to wonder about our esteemed manager.....

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Hugely taken out of context, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good old fashioned NSC binfest. :facepalm:

I don't see that it was taken out of context at all, the video of the post match interview with him is very revealing. If you watch the video the words bored and boring are used several times by Gus with regard to the teams performance and not following his instructions. But the telling part of the interview (IMHO) was at the end, this is what was said in the last 2 mins of that interview.

Interviewer: Is it a conversation with the chairman in the next few days perhaps?

Gus: No no, it's like I said to you, it's getting repetitive, nothing more, I'm sitting in there and it looks like you know what's going to happen.
Because it's day in, day out, every weekend, every Tuesday night, every Saturday afternoon. So, is it worth it? I feel sorry for the fans
because they travel they put all their effort to come on a Tuesday night and I suppose they start feeling upset that we can't score even
from a penalty how we gonna score a goal? So it's getting boring, I'm getting bored of managing a team like this one, really bored. So ah
we'll see, let me think about it and we'll see what we do tomorrow.

Last edited:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I don't see that it was taken out of context at all, the video of the post match interview with him is very revealing. If you watch the video the words bored and boring are used several times by Gus with regard to the teams performance and not following his instructions. But the telling part of the interview (IMHO) was at the end, this is what was said in the last 2 mins of that interview.

Interviewer: Is it a conversation with the chairman in the next few days perhaps?

Gus: No no, it's like I said to you, it's getting repetitive, nothing more, I'm sitting in there and it looks like you know what's going to happen.
Because it's day in, day out, every weekend, every Tuesday night, every Saturday afternoon. So, is it worth it? I feel sorry for the fans
because thet travel they put all their effort to come on a Tuesday night and I suppose they start feeling upset that we can't score even
from a penalty how we gonna score a goal? So it's getting boring, I'm getting bored of managing a team like this one, really bored. So ah

oh dear - that doesnt sound good. not good at all.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Yes. I was surprised by those last two lines in the interview. It sounded quite clear what he meant- not out of context at all. A very unusual managerial reaction. As Gus might say with a shrug of the shoulders 'we will see!'

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

because they travel they put all their effort to come on a Tuesday night and I suppose they start feeling upset that we can't score even

i agree not taken out of context at all . not really what the manager should be saying if u cant put right with the players that you bought and you play in your positions then leave simples.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Are we officially allowed to call The Gus Bus into question now, without being flamed?

I tried it on Saturday and got my nuts roasted.

Just for the record, I love him to bits, but it doesn't mean he's not above reproach

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Has anyone listened to the WHOLE interview? It seems like none of you have. He says he's sorry for the fans, he said constantly explaining our failings is getting boring as he has to say the same every week and something has to change. His comment about being bored of managing the team was exactly that, at the team, not the club.

He pretty much laid down the gauntlet to TB to spend more money up front. The reason we have the best defence is our defensive players quality, but the reason we don't score is our lack of quality in attacking areas.
It was just a show that he wants more quality to work with.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, just what the whole interview was about.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
"So it's getting boring, I'm getting bored of managing a team like this one, really bored"

Just watched the interview and my initial thought was , uh oh, he is off, but I am on reflection hopeful he means bored with the Team and not the Club. I am still happy if continues to manage the Albion and really do believe his comments just further demonstrate how much he cares.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Whenever things go a little bit wrong he always threatens to leave or something, it is a little bit deranged.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I don't see that it was taken out of context at all
Yes. I was surprised by those last two lines in the interview. It sounded quite clear what he meant- not out of context at all.
i agree not taken out of context at all .
"So it's getting boring, I'm getting bored of managing a team like this one, really bored"

This is what I saw: BBC Sport - Gus Poyet s goal drought

"Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet says he is "bored" of talking about their problems in front of goal. The Seagulls have only scored once in their last five games - a run which has seen them pick up just two points. He told BBC Sussex: "It's difficult to analyse. I'm getting bored and fed up of repeating the same words. I feel sorry for the fans."

I interpreted this as boredom and frustration with his plans being undone the same way and having to talk about the same shortcomings every week. We know the way he words things is not always perfect. If you're interpreting this as "I'm bored of being Brighton manager, I'm giving up" then IMHO you're reading it that way because you want to read it that way. It's clearly not how he meant it. It's very easy to cut off the bit of the quote where he specifically says he feels sorry for the fans, yet I've seen three threads started about this 'quote' and every single one emitted that part of it, focusing on the boredom bit, and then people got in a tizzy about him not caring about the fans and how it's his fault and his responsibility. Granted, it is - but if you're going to criticise him at least do it with some integrity. It's very, VERY easy to spin a story in the direction you want when you take a tiny part of a bigger comment and look at it in isolation.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
This is what I saw: BBC Sport - Gus Poyet s goal drought

"Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet says he is "bored" of talking about their problems in front of goal. The Seagulls have only scored once in their last five games - a run which has seen them pick up just two points. He told BBC Sussex: "It's difficult to analyse. I'm getting bored and fed up of repeating the same words. I feel sorry for the fans."

I interpreted this as boredom and frustration with his plans being undone the same way and having to talk about the same shortcomings every week. We know the way he words things is not always perfect. If you're interpreting this as "I'm bored of being Brighton manager, I'm giving up" then IMHO you're reading it that way because you want to read it that way. It's clearly not how he meant it. It's very easy to cut off the bit of the quote where he specifically says he feels sorry for the fans, yet I've seen three threads started about this 'quote' and every single one emitted that part of it, focusing on the boredom bit, and then people got in a tizzy about him not caring about the fans and how it's his fault and his responsibility. Granted, it is - but if you're going to criticise him at least do it with some integrity. It's very, VERY easy to spin a story in the direction you want when you take a tiny part of a bigger comment and look at it in isolation.

Uh huh but at the end of the day he did say he was......'bored of managing a team like this'

A team like what? One he put together and is paid to manage.

Some people, it would seem, are never happy

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
His comments after another game without a goal!!

1/Gus built this squad
2/He insists on playing Barnes who is still learning his trade and not yet good enough for this division
3/He refuses to admit McSmudger does not fit in to this team
4/He insists on playing Dicker who is not good enough

Who`s fault is it that our team are not scoring enough again this season,same problems as last season seems Poyet can`t see past the end of his nose

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I'm getting bored with him at the moment. Trust him to take us further, but f*** me he needs to mature, no plan B what so ever!

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset

I agree with your sentiments and that is how I interpreted the interview after I watched the one on Seagulls Player today.
Last night following twitter/match threads etc quotes were all very selective to say the least...

Camicus

I'm getting bored with him at the moment. Trust him to take us further, but f*** me he needs to mature, no plan B what so ever!

This said to Mrs C the instant that goal went in here we go again. I love the way we play under Gus and think he would be a huge loss to the club if he goes but 2 things 1 He needs to stop baiting TB in to spending more cash and 2 he needs to get his f***ing finger out :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here