Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus, Greatest manager we have ever had?

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
If Gus stay with us till we reach the premiership then he will be up there with the best we have had.

Remember folks some of our best times are ahead of us.

Belt up and enjoy the ride.

TB

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Cant agree with this comment. Gus has yet to prove he has what it takes to manage at this level. I've been watching BHA since 1955 and I'm not convinced about him. At present we are playing the least entertaining football i can remember. Football is all about scoring goals. Goals generate excitement, create atmosphere and make you want to come back for more. I have just endured two successive away games without seeing the opponents keeper have to make a save. All I see is a team playing pass ball along the back line, until someone makes an error and they lose possession. Even at home, we have fewer shots that anyone else in the division, so how do you assess Gus as being a great manager. The players play to his instructions and he is beginning to look clueless. We got a result v Barnsley, but who are they. Most teams in the division will beat Barnsley when they play them at home. He was such a good attacking midfield player himself, I'm disappointed he is not more positive now he is in management. He must understand that all this playing the ball backwards and sidewards just gives the opposition time to get numbers behind the ball. They have to be sharper and more positive. The best way to defend is to attack. If you play the game in your opponents half, they are not going to score, if you play it in your own half, then you're not going to score. Not exactly rocket science is it ???

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Cant agree with this comment. Gus has yet to prove he has what it takes to manage at this level. I've been watching BHA since 1955 and I'm not convinced about him. At present we are playing the least entertaining football i can remember. Football is all about scoring goals. Goals generate excitement, create atmosphere and make you want to come back for more. I have just endured two successive away games without seeing the opponents keeper have to make a save. All I see is a team playing pass ball along the back line, until someone makes an error and they lose possession. Even at home, we have fewer shots that anyone else in the division, so how do you assess Gus as being a great manager. The players play to his instructions and he is beginning to look clueless. We got a result v Barnsley, but who are they. Most teams in the division will beat Barnsley when they play them at home. He was such a good attacking midfield player himself, I'm disappointed he is not more positive now he is in management. He must understand that all this playing the ball backwards and sidewards just gives the opposition time to get numbers behind the ball. They have to be sharper and more positive. The best way to defend is to attack. If you play the game in your opponents half, they are not going to score, if you play it in your own half, then you're not going to score. Not exactly rocket science is it ???

Great post, as for the flair, tippy tappy stuff, there has been little evidence of much flair in recent weeks either.In fact there has not been much of anything. So ok, we got injuries to our better players. If that is the case then it's poor management to ask players of a lesser quality to do the same job and expect the same results.You have to adapt and Gus doesn't appear to grasp this.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Do people really believe this? or is it an age thing? Personally I'm in my 40th year and I do think Gus has been really great for this club so far. But greatest ever?...I cant go back further than the 70's and speak with any personal experience but.

Mullery, yes he had the backing but he is still the only man to get us into the top flight.
Bailey, Got us to our highest ever finish in the league.
Lloyd, Got us promoted from what is now(league 1 as has Gus) then took us to within 90mins of the Prem.With both hands and legs tied behind his back.
McGhee, Got us promoted and keep us in the Championship with both hands and legs tied behind his back and no Zamora either.

I'm not slagging Gus off but he has something to prove yet, to keep being described as the greatest manager we have ever had. He needs to come up with a plan b to start with and except that just maybe, he isn't always right about everything. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, as long as you learn from them. Gus has yet to prove he does learn, as we have clearly been worked out atm.
I think the best out of those was Barry Lloyd, who although done some strange things, brought and sold players in a way that would make Arthur Daley proud, until its all started going wrong and players were sold from under him, Den Saunders for one.

The best manager we've had, was Brian Clough, although obviosuly not when he was here.

OUR best manager I think we've had and let go, was Chris Cattlin, who did wonderful things on very very limited budget. I think he would have gone on to be a Brian Clough type of manager, until he was mugged off back in the 80s.

Gus Poyet comes next on the list for me, but has the potential to go on to great things.... with us.

The only down side to Gus, is that he will not change his style of play to suit the player available to him. Too many of the current side are not good enough to play the way he wants, and he point blank refuses to change it. I think with a fully it squad, and a few additions in January, which I am 99% certain will be coming, then I think Gus could go on to become our greatest ever manager.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
yes
Had, means something you possessed in the past. But u don't have it now.
Had, means past or something u had before but don't have it now.

But isn't the question is a shortened form of "Is Gus the greatest manager we have had manage us?", where the ownership tense is irrelevant?

Even if not, he is being included in managers we have had in the past and we had him last year, that we continue to have him is not ruled out by the parameters of the question.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
He is certainly on his way to becoming the all time best,he is the perfect choice for the club at this time,he is getting us noticed and raising the profile of the club,which can only be a good thing when it comes to attracting quality players to the club i.e. Craig Mackail Smith,Vicente etc. For me 'Mullers' is the best so far,exciting times at the Goldstone-great memories!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think the best out of those was Barry Lloyd, who although done some strange things, brought and sold players in a way that would make Arthur Daley proud, until its all started going wrong and players were sold from under him, Den Saunders for one.

The best manager we've had, was Brian Clough, although obviosuly not when he was here.

OUR best manager I think we've had and let go, was Chris Cattlin, who did wonderful things on very very limited budget. I think he would have gone on to be a Brian Clough type of manager, until he was mugged off back in the 80s.

Gus Poyet comes next on the list for me, but has the potential to go on to great things.... with us.

The only down side to Gus, is that he will not change his style of play to suit the player available to him. Too many of the current side are not good enough to play the way he wants, and he point blank refuses to change it. I think with a fully it squad, and a few additions in January, which I am 99% certain will be coming, then I think Gus could go on to become our greatest ever manager.

Cant disagree with most of that. All I would add is that in order to be a great manager you do have to change tactics sometimes to get a result.The best team does not always win the game.Sometimes you have to except that the opposition are better than you and find a way to combat it and that isnt by trying to grid out a 0-0.You have to find a way to score, which is a department we are seriously failing in atm.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Horses for courses,each manager has a varying set of circumstances to deal with initially,for the main it's either,avoid the drop or maintain a promotion push-Gus started out with the former and now has the chance to do what no other Brighton manager in our history or any manager probably has ever had the chance to do,to build an identity of his own,at this club and that excites me as make no mistake about it Gus will one day manage at the very highest level-

Imagine Gus with decent players(in no way detrimental to our current players) you know,world class stars & playing his way.

I may go as far to say(he has all the attributes) he could become like a certain current Real Madrid manager,several years from now.

Do people really believe this? or is it an age thing? Personally I'm in my 40th year and I do think Gus has been really great for this club so far. But greatest ever?...I cant go back further than the 70's and speak with any personal experience but.

Mullery, yes he had the backing but he is still the only man to get us into the top flight.
Bailey, Got us to our highest ever finish in the league.
Lloyd, Got us promoted from what is now(league 1 as has Gus) then took us to within 90mins of the Prem.With both hands and legs tied behind his back.
McGhee, Got us promoted and keep us in the Championship with both hands and legs tied behind his back and no Zamora either.

I'm not slagging Gus off but he has something to prove yet, to keep being described as the greatest manager we have ever had. He needs to come up with a plan b to start with and except that just maybe, he isn't always right about everything. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, as long as you learn from them. Gus has yet to prove he does learn, as we have clearly been worked out atm.

Don't forget dancing shoes Jimmy Melia too. Ok he took us down but we had great fun getting to Wembley.

As for Gus, given the money that he has had, in my opinion if I was taking 3 other former managers out for dinner, he wouldn't be at the table.
I think he is a good manager & if he learnt how to play the English game (when needed), potentially could be very good, however at the moment I would place him in the top 10, but not the top 5.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
Mullery was our most succesful though i think Clough and Taylor were the ones who got things going ,What must be a concern is the choice of players that Gus is getting that some fans think are not good enough and Vicente injury prone ,and if we cant cause danger in the opponents half through good passing and movement are we fit enough ,we also need midfielders who can run at the opposition and go past people .

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
only been 2 years - so can't be called the greatest yet by a long shot. I love the way he wants us to play - and once we get the confidence (and players) back to play it properly we will start competing more effectively again. if he is still with us after 5 years then he could well have achieved something to earn the tag

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
only been 2 years - so can't be called the greatest yet by a long shot. I love the way he wants us to play - and once we get the confidence (and players) back to play it properly we will start competing more effectively again. if he is still with us after 5 years then he could well have achieved something to earn the tag

I disagree-if he is with us after 5 years we will be in the top flight

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Have to say that although I think Gus will be a great manager, I am getting a little tired at the way he blames every defeat on something or somebody else other than his tactics and team selection. Yes they were dodgy penalty decisions yesterday, but we would still have lost without those and our shots on target tell the true story. Teams have worked out how we play, press us high in our own half and we can't get out. Gus seems to have no plan B and is now saying wait until we get our best players back fit and we will start winning. Sorry, some of our best players are fit, but he is not picking them.
No need to panic just yet, but teams around the bottom have started winning and the next month's fixtures against supposedly weaker teams will be crucial.
Onwards and upwards:rolleyes:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Micky Adams #1 put together a team on a shoestring budget that became a dynasty. It built from the back, had a steely midfield and was blessed with the Zamora-Brooker understanding. Such a great team that it gave Taylor a simple steering job to the Double Championes. Certainly did a far better job than McGhee, and, in terms of building a strong and balanced core team, is certainly the equal of anything Poyet has yet achieved.

Adams' budget was far from shoestring for that league. We signed an unproven 20 year old in Zamora
for 100K, I'd hardly call that shoestring! Adams built a team of his old mates who had got him promoted twice previously with Fulham and Brentford. Tactically he was poor, he didn't really develop the players like Gus has, and as soon as he got a supposed better offer he left. He was a half decent lower league Manager with good contacts, nothing more.

The way Gus has changed things in the club from the bottom up makes him far superior. Look at what he's done with players like El-Abd. Can you imagine Adams being able to completely change a player like that? No way.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Nope. Rapidly losing faith with the no shots on target away from home tactic for the THIRD away game in a row. Nice one Gus you genius. :facepalm:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Spot on, right now the football is absolutely dire, we played a much better game under Slade with Murray/Forster upfront, we scored goals by the bucketload, just a shame we could not defend (still cant)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
indeed. i do mean that the thing we will have achieved is being in the top flight - thereby emulating our previous best - but with his own team

i was being pedantic & i apologize,that said like you i too love the way he wants us to play & to some it might not seem like it now,but it will stand us in good stead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here