Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus, Greatest manager we have ever had?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Adams' budget was far from shoestring for that league. We signed an unproven 20 year old in Zamora
for 100K, I'd hardly call that shoestring! Adams built a team of his old mates who had got him promoted twice previously with Fulham and Brentford. Tactically he was poor, he didn't really develop the players like Gus has, and as soon as he got a supposed better offer he left. He was a half decent lower league Manager with good contacts, nothing more.

The way Gus has changed things in the club from the bottom up makes him far superior. Look at what he's done with players like El-Abd. Can you imagine Adams being able to completely change a player like that? No way.
Top post mate.

IMO Mickey Adams is the most over rated manager we've had, and just got very lucky that Fulham were having a major clearout due to being taken over, and he had the pick of the crop at Brentford. I think he has proved his true ability since leaving us. A very average lower league manager. I cursed the day Wilkins got sacked to let him back in (even got a ban on here if I remember).

Poyet loses more managerial skill than Adams ever had, every time he takes a shit!!!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
There was a feature in the Palace programme that showed statistically Gus had the highest win ratio of any manager we've ever had. That was over 100 games in charge, taking him up to the Liverpool game. I dare say his 53% win statistic has dropped since then and it's probably a bit unfair to compare a manager's record over 100 games with somebody who managed the club over six years like Liam Brady.

Only time will tell if he is to be a true great, but right now I'm happy with him.

2u5cfau.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-11-20_17-18-35_155.jpg
    2011-11-20_17-18-35_155.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 19

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Micky Adams #1 put together a team on a shoestring budget that became a dynasty. It built from the back, had a steely midfield and was blessed with the Zamora-Brooker understanding. Such a great team that it gave Taylor a simple steering job to the Double Championes. Certainly did a far better job than McGhee, and, in terms of building a strong and balanced core team, is certainly the equal of anything Poyet has yet achieved.

Hahaha. Micky Adams mearly recruited the same fulham team that had got promoted before. he then tripped over booby z by an accident. Adams was lucky, once that team got old he achieved nothing else and has been shit ever since he left the first time.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
There was a feature in the Palace programme that showed statistically Gus had the highest win ratio of any manager we've ever had. That was over 100 games in charge, taking him up to the Liverpool game. I dare say his 53% win statistic has dropped since then and it's probably a bit unfair to compare a manager's record over 100 games with somebody who managed the club over six years like Liam Brady.

Only time will tell if he is to be a true great, but right now I'm happy with him.

2u5cfau.jpg

Looking at that you would have to say that Cattlins record is as good as anyone, all his games were played in what is now the championship. Took us to a FA Cup quarter final and if other results had gone our way on the day, we could have be promoted when we beat Sheff Utd 1-0 at the goldstone on the last day of the season. If you cut the bloke down the middle he would bleed Brighton and Hove Albion and signed players like Eric Young, Gary O'Reilly, Steve Penny, Frank Worthington, Danny Wilson, Dean Saunders,Hans Kraay,Dennis Mortimer, oh the list is endless. I really loved those Cattlin years as a teenager in the North Stand.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Last season, there were a hell of a lot of posters on here who had been watching the albion for donkey's years saying Gus had produced the best team they'd ever seen. Factamundo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here