Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus' dealings in the January transfer window

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
We don't want to rock the boat by bringing in any big time charlies, we've got a great unity and team spirit so I think we only need a couple of players as cover.

I think it is widely acknowledged that Gus wants to bring Matt Richards back as full back/central midfield cover, I would also like to see him bring in a big target man. We could do with a plan B if the going gets tough as pitches and injuries take their toll through late winter, someone in the mould of Jabo Ibehre or Mamady Sidibe.

you're joking. correct?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I would happy to settle for a striker and extend KLL's loan.Anything else i would see it as a bonus.
We might have to off load some players first.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think Gus will only sign players who will make an impact for us at Championship level otherwise why bother upsetting things.

If we get any injuries or suspensions he can grab a loan player in to cover or Kishichev can play just about anywhere for the odd game.

We could do with a striker but we are most likely to find someone who has struggled for fitness and can't get back into their successful championship side, similar to how we acquired Painter, but this will probably be a loan. Why take a risk on a longer term deal

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All a bit negative, this, isn't it? We need cover for this, we need cover for that.....we've GOT cover! OK, so the the player(s) coming in might not be quite as good - but that's why they're cover!
What I'd like Gus to do (and I think he will) is to get in a couple of players who are BETTER than what we've already got, to make the team on the pitch even stronger. OK, I don't mean spending millions (we can't!) but let's trust Gus to keep looking for higher standards, not just consolidating what we've got.
That'd be like saying, we're 8 points clear now, so our aim is to make sure we cling on for a play-off spot! Let's try and move forwards....even more!

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
With the current squad, the only signing we NEED is a striker. And thats where the money should go on a quality striker to partner Barnes.

Would also be nice to get someone in who can cover left back and a winger who can cover both sides.

However, If we can't get LuaLua back on loan, Then a left winger is the priority.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With the current squad, the only signing we NEED is a striker. And thats where the money should go on a quality striker to partner Barnes.

Seriously mate, it's getting boring. You CANNOT possibly not see by now that Murray is an EXCELLENT forward. He's been superb this season, even his previous doubters have said as much. Give it up.

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
Seriously mate, it's getting boring. You CANNOT possibly not see by now that Murray is an EXCELLENT forward. He's been superb this season, even his previous doubters have said as much. Give it up.

I prefer Barnes.. Scored more and is only 21 so will get better better with more games, would be stupid not to play him.

As a team, we are not scoring as much as we should/could be

IMO we can get a striker who is much better than Murray

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Gus needs to play the 'best friend' card with Di Matteo and get Miller in. If we sign him, get him match fit and send him back in January (with us fully 20 points clear at the top), then sign another decent striker until the end of the season, the league is ours!

OK, I'm delusional.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We've got by far the best goal difference in the whole division yet that's not enough goals for you?

Blimey, high standards. I was hoping we'd make the playoffs when the season started...

Can you at least accept that Murray has been VERY VERY good this season?

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
We've got by far the best goal difference in the whole division yet that's not enough goals for you?

Blimey, high standards. I was hoping we'd make the playoffs when the season started...

I would not say VERY good. Seen more from Barnes. But a huge improvement on last year.

Did not say that, but we could have scored much more, lets face it, our goal difference is not really due to how many we have scored is it? It's the defence. And that is why we are top.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys

Dont waste your breath mate. f*** me, one week it's Barnes that's shite the next it's Murray.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I would not say VERY good. Seen more from Barnes. But a huge improvement on last year.

Did not say that, but we could have scored much more, lets face it, our goal difference is not really due to how many we have scored is it? It's the defence. And that is why we are top.

Murray is more important to the team, because Barnes can't hold the ball up, we know that. By doing so Murray allows the midfield to get forward, or enables Barnes to get it to feet, or to give it out wide to both Bennett and Lua Lua. That alone takes a hell of a lot of pressure off the defence, as if we had just Barnes, the ball would be coming back at us a lot lot quicker undoubtably.
Most of Barnes' goals have been from chances you would call fairly easy if you were a league 1 striker, made by Murray, Bennett and Lua Lua. By no means am i knocking Barnes, he's been great, but you'd be far harder pushed to get a replacement for Murray than you would be for Barnes.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think the window will be very quiet ,LuaLua a priority . Sandaza is a concern ,perhaps a return for Holroyd .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here