Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grow Your Own 2011

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can never understand people growing potatoes unless they have a massive great area to grow in as they take up so much room and are so cheap to buy that they do not make economical sense. People were always advised to grow potatoes because the earthing up kept the soil in good condition and turned over.

I have a slightlyt OT question I want to plant a bulb or two in a pot and place it by my mothers grave and need advice on what to plant that will survive the winter and then flower in the spring. Not anything like crocus, tulip or daffodil types. Any advice?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyone know if the local nurseries (to Worthing) have any special deals on fruit bushes trees for autumn planting? Might be worth a go on the allotment.

One thing I will do is dig up some un-wanted raspberry canes from my back garden for [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] and I to put in at the allotment. They're summer fruiting ones, so will go well with the autumn ones [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] is getting.

Apparently Autumn Bliss have a steady if unremarkable yield but a long fruiting season.

Useful BBC Video

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can never understand people growing potatoes unless they have a massive great area to grow in as they take up so much room and are so cheap to buy that they do not make economical sense. People were always advised to grow potatoes because the earthing up kept the soil in good condition and turned over.

I have a slightlyt OT question I want to plant a bulb or two in a pot and place it by my mothers grave and need advice on what to plant that will survive the winter and then flower in the spring. Not anything like crocus, tulip or daffodil types. Any advice?

Fritillaries perhaps ?

Growing Fritillaries

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

It really is a matter of choice. There are so many varieties these days that it is almost impossible to recommend just one thing. Have you thought about growing a succession of bulbs...eg plant white snowdrops...flowers in feb, purple crocus....flowers late feb, yellow dwarf daffs....flower march, red dwarf tulip...flowers april. get yourself a pot, and just bung em all in at about 2-3" deep. Water and leave....they'll all come through a winter ok.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It really is a matter of choice. There are so many varieties these days that it is almost impossible to recommend just one thing. Have you thought about growing a succession of bulbs...eg plant white snowdrops...flowers in feb, purple crocus....flowers late feb, yellow dwarf daffs....flower march, red dwarf tulip...flowers april. get yourself a pot, and just bung em all in at about 2-3" deep. Water and leave....they'll all come through a winter ok.

I thought of fritillaries straight away because of the way the heads hang down - as if mourning the passing. They'll survive in a pot but my worry would be water. Small pots dry out very quickly and aren't good at catching water when it rains. All the time the bulbs are dormant they'll go through the Winter, but once they are in leaf, they might get stressed. Are you not able to plant them? Over the years fritillaries would loook beautiful.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I thought of fritillaries straight away because of the way the heads hang down - as if mourning the passing. They'll survive in a pot but my worry would be water. Small pots dry out very quickly and aren't good at catching water when it rains. All the time the bulbs are dormant they'll go through the Winter, but once they are in leaf, they might get stressed. Are you not able to plant them? Over the years fritillaries would loook beautiful.

Spot on about the fritillaries.....Fritillaria mealeagris, the snakes head fritillary is my favourite. Plated about 500 last year under a big tree and they looked stunning.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
You can plant Garlic, Broad Beans, Japanese onion sets and thats about that now. Even in a greenhouse, shortening days means growth is slow. Check out the sowing recomendations by month and you will see what I mean, compare April sowings to September sowings and note the difference.

I'm well aware of the difference, just thought it was odd to say there was little you can sow at this time of year when I've just nearly filled my garden up! :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I phoned Radio Sussex this morning on the Dig In program and asked the same question and the lady doing it, Jean Griffin ? suggested either flowering Rosemary which apparently is the flower of remembrance or lavender. She also gave me the website to see if there is a Rose called Florence (mums name) and there is a Red Rose under that name.

Thanks for the advice Jevs I am also going to put a planter either side of the plot and plant some of those in them as you say to have a continual growing through early spring/ summer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm well aware of the difference, just thought it was odd to say there was little you can sow at this time of year when I've just nearly filled my garden up! :lol:

er, what with ? concrete ?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
er, what with ? concrete ?

Broad beans, onions, shallots and garlic. Lots of salads (butter lettuce etc) in the greenhouse just gone in too. Lost a couple of broad beans last winter but generally the whole lot made it through so doing the same agan. Still have a bit going from summer which will carry on through winter too, brussels to name one...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=233]tedebear[/MENTION]

My onions and garlic went in a couple of weeks ago and are just beginning to peep out of the soil. Any tips as to what I can do to help these along at all, or to make sure they are the biggest and best they can be?

Broad beans this week...

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
After a good year with the chillies this year I got an allotment off Worthing Council after being on the waiting list for two and a half years. Able assisted by [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] we have already planted:

Solent Wight Garlic
Radar White Onion Sets
Electric Red Onion Sets

Next week hoping to get in:

Autumn Bliss Raspberries
Loch Ness Blackberries

Update:

Solent Wight Garlic -Had some good growth, possibly due to the mild weather until late.
Radar White Onion - Very impressed. All of them have achieved some growth. Was told they were hardy and haven't disappointed.
Electric Red Onion - Not been as successful as the white onions but not a total disaster so far.

Put the Blackberries in with some bonemeal to encourage root growth. Still waiting for Raspberries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here