Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grow Your Own 2011

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
TBH you can't fool nature and now is not a good time to sow something like a Chilli. Even in a heated greenhouse the shortening day length will confuse the plant or render it very weak and susceptible to disease.

Best start them off in April in a heated propagator and move them in to the greenhouse as the days lengthen and heat up. Trust me, there is very little you can sow at this time of year.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
After a good year with the chillies this year I got an allotment off Worthing Council after being on the waiting list for two and a half years. Able assisted by [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] we have already planted:

Solent Wight Garlic
Radar White Onion Sets
Electric Red Onion Sets

Next week hoping to get in:

Autumn Bliss Raspberries
Loch Ness Blackberries

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
After a good year with the chillies this year I got an allotment off Worthing Council after being on the waiting list for two and a half years. Able assisted by [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] we have already planted:

Solent Wight Garlic
Radar White Onion Sets
Electric Red Onion Sets

Next week hoping to get in:

Autumn Bliss Raspberries
Loch Ness Blackberries

Welcome aboard ! I have been a plotholder for 24 years now. it can be hard work, it can be frustrating but it can also be magical. Top tips.....always grow spuds, there is nothing better than digging up your own. don't grow stuff that you don't like eating even if it is easy to grow. remember that some things WILL fail while others do exceptionally well despite your best efforts.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Welcome aboard ! I have been a plotholder for 24 years now. it can be hard work, it can be frustrating but it can also be magical. Top tips.....always grow spuds, there is nothing better than digging up your own. don't grow stuff that you don't like eating even if it is easy to grow. remember that some things WILL fail while others do exceptionally well despite your best efforts.

Thanks. Looking forward to deciding on Potato types in the new year.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Trust me, there is very little you can sow at this time of year.

Did you specifically mean chillies? I've just planted onions, garlic and a few other bits n bobs, still planting salads (rocket) in my little greenhouse too....They usually prosper pretty well through the winter.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Your First Early spuds should be a choice between Foremost or Rocket, Salad spuds has a wider choice but one of the best for reliability and high yields is Charlotte. Main crops have a huge range but I tend towards red varieties as around here they seem to be more reliable and store better. Send me a PM if you need any help

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Of course the fun is choosing for yourself, but I can certainly 100% recommend Lady Christel for a first early and Nadine as a second early. I don't bother with main crop - too susceptible to blight on our plot.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Did you specifically mean chillies? I've just planted onions, garlic and a few other bits n bobs, still planting salads (rocket) in my little greenhouse too....They usually prosper pretty well through the winter.

You can plant Garlic, Broad Beans, Japanese onion sets and thats about that now. Even in a greenhouse, shortening days means growth is slow. Check out the sowing recomendations by month and you will see what I mean, compare April sowings to September sowings and note the difference.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Down the side of my flat, I made a raised bed which I've had reasonable success with Tomatoes this year.

Had much more fruit last year, this year - fewer but better quality.

Not convinced it's the best place for tomatoes - but here is a question.

If I plant some Garlic in there NOW for next year, will the garlic be ready for me to RE-USE the bed for something else next year.

Basically - will I be able to get the garlic up eaely enough to plant say... tomato plants.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Down the side of my flat, I made a raised bed which I've had reasonable success with Tomatoes this year.

If I plant some Garlic in there NOW for next year, will the garlic be ready for me to RE-USE the bed for something else next year.

Basically - will I be able to get the garlic up eaely enough to plant say... tomato plants.

Garlic is a long growing crop, sow about now and harvest about September so Tom's are out.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Garlic is a long growing crop, sow about now and harvest about September so Tom's are out.

Think I might do the Garlic then.

Weird year this year - I presume the odd weather.

I've had great success with Plum Tomatoes that presumably like the heat, whilst the more native varieties have been quite rubbish. Last year in my south facing very small garden I couldn't keep up with the tomatoes.

I experimented a bit this year with varieties, not a great success to be honest - expect one from Eastern Europe called Father Frost. I started some off for my mother law - who had loads of fruit in a very very windy area near Southport near the sea. Highly unsuitable for tomato growing for a number of reasons.

Having said that - I eat a lot of tomatoes and haven't bought any more months. So I guess that is the real measure.

FATHER FROST - Buy Flower Seeds,Vegetable Seeds,Garden Seeds - Secure Online Seed Store - Plant World Seeds

Had varying success with Chilies this year growing outside. Only going to bother with the Thai varieties next year- because they've been blooming.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

If you've got the space, you could plant the garlic further apart with tomato plants in mind as a companion plant. Harvest the garlic around July/August time and the space left will be filled out by the burgeoning tomato plants. In reality the toms should already be quite large plants come July/August but the garlic shouldn't cramp them too much if you've left that extra bit of space.

Alternatively, let the garlic stay there as long as possible, harvest and dig in loads of organic matter ready for a bonfire night sowing of broad beans. Use it as part of the rotation system and follow the broad beans with a brassica. Find another space for your toms :)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hi

I can't wait to get the 1st potatoes in next spring with [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] on the allotment.

I also fancy planting some purple sprouting brocolli, mainly because it tastes sooo nice.

Carrots - worth a go.

Leeks & spring onions.

What we need to do first though is improve the soil, so we do need to add quite a lot of compost to what is reasonable but unloved soil.

Anyone know where to get cheap compost?

Papa

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Talking of toms, shame about the name but, Black Sea Man is THE best Tomato I've ever tasted ! Unusually excellent flavour and texture considering it's a beefstake type. Grew it for the first time at work this year and will be an ever present from now on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Think I might do the Garlic then.

Weird year this year - I presume the odd weather.

I've had great success with Plum Tomatoes that presumably like the heat, whilst the more native varieties have been quite rubbish. Last year in my south facing very small garden I couldn't keep up with the tomatoes.

I experimented a bit this year with varieties, not a great success to be honest - expect one from Eastern Europe called Father Frost. I started some off for my mother law - who had loads of fruit in a very very windy area near Southport near the sea. Highly unsuitable for tomato growing for a number of reasons.

Having said that - I eat a lot of tomatoes and haven't bought any more months. So I guess that is the real measure.

FATHER FROST - Buy Flower Seeds,Vegetable Seeds,Garden Seeds - Secure Online Seed Store - Plant World Seeds

Had varying success with Chilies this year growing outside. Only going to bother with the Thai varieties next year- because they've been blooming.

I have had a fantastic year for Plum Tomato's too, we have been lucky because there has been no Blight this summer. My chillies are all inside and have done well as an extra this year I have tried Bird's Eye Chillies which are doing rather well too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I can't be arsed with the Cordon? variety any more to be honest. I grown some semi bush Plum types this year which needed minimal attention. They are great for cooking, very very dry inside.

I will grow more cherry types next year which appear to need even less attention.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anyone know if the local nurseries (to Worthing) have any special deals on fruit bushes trees for autumn planting? Might be worth a go on the allotment.

One thing I will do is dig up some un-wanted raspberry canes from my back garden for [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] and I to put in at the allotment. They're summer fruiting ones, so will go well with the autumn ones [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] is getting.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have had a fantastic year for Plum Tomato's too, we have been lucky because there has been no Blight this summer. My chillies are all inside and have done well as an extra this year I have tried Bird's Eye Chillies which are doing rather well too.

Tried Aubergines - but completely failed. Stupid really, I can buy them locally for next to nothing. Cucumbers ok this year, but I think everything outside has suffered with the odd but very cold nights we've had ?

The plums I grew were Roma ? - not fantastic, but surprisingly good outside if you consider the rubbish weather.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hi

I can't wait to get the 1st potatoes in next spring with [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] on the allotment.

I also fancy planting some purple sprouting brocolli, mainly because it tastes sooo nice.

Carrots - worth a go.

Leeks & spring onions.

What we need to do first though is improve the soil, so we do need to add quite a lot of compost to what is reasonable but unloved soil.

Anyone know where to get cheap compost?

Papa

get yourself membership of the Worthing Allotments and Gardens Association, dead cheap, buy some Groworganic and have a look at thier website which has a link to a company called Puckamuck who supply composted stable manure. Or go to the Arundel Stables just on the road north by the roundabout on the west side of the Arundel, 50 p a bag, Tim Overwhelmed can give you better directions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here