Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grow Your Own 2011

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seem to remember a few popular threads like this last year ?

This is my second year and hopefully I can "grow" on the experience of last and irradishcate the mistakes of last.

This year tomatoes again - which I've started a bit earlier in my heated propagator. Concentrating on tumbling and bush varieties really because I can't be bothered with the hassle of pinching out, supporting etc.. Except in my small greenhouse.

They also seemed to complain less when I was unable to water during the day - which is most days.

I get differing advice on when is the best time to plant seeds inside. I know someone who starts his off at christmas !

A started a few chilli plants about a month ago and unlike last year they germinated within a week are now re-potted and about an inch tall on the window sill.

Try to make proper use of my greenhouse this year with aubergines and probably some tomatoes although most were fine outside last summer.

Outside cucumbers again and probably some french beans. Might even go for some kiwi fruit if I can decide somewhere permanent to put the plant.

Had some late success with some thai basil last summer, so have gone for broke this year with 4 varieties of the stuff. Won't even think of starting that until it gets hot. I experimented with a couple of plants in the greenhouse and it grows really well, but likes heat.

Everything in pots or raised beds on the patio.

Anyone else's plans ?

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i have been growing my own through-out the antipodean summer and harvest will bee within a fortnight , chillis , toms , egg plants &:smokin:

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I've got, for the first time ever this year, a house with a garden (previously I've owned a flat). So I'll be venturing into the gardening world for the first time - though my space is quite limited. I'd estimate the garden to be around 7m squared. So, in order to have some grass, the space for plants/vegetables/herbs will be limited to a border or two. Not really sure what to do with them yet though.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've got, for the first time ever this year, a house with a garden (previously I've owned a flat). So I'll be venturing into the gardening world for the first time - though my space is quite limited. I'd estimate the garden to be around 7m squared. So, in order to have some grass, the space for plants/vegetables/herbs will be limited to a border or two. Not really sure what to do with them yet though.

Same as me last year, but I was surprised what you can do with limited space and no grass. Mines not a whole lot bigger.

I've got one of those mini greenhouses, grew tomatoes in pots (which I as often moving around) and built a raised bed out of some some scrap wood.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Started all my chillis, peppers and toms back in january so they're all doing well. Also got baby carrots and spring onions on the go and about to plant my Jersey Royal potatoes inside in tubs.

The conservatory is at bursting point at present buy im currently building a new 12' x 10' greenhouse on the walls of my old koi pond so that'll give me plenty of space.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Got my first early spuds in couple of weeks ago, and some wild garlic (keeps the bugs at bay apparently).

Herbs in a while ago.

Still not decided what else to plant. Will probably root (arf, arf) for beetroot. Marvellous stuff.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Not sure if it counts as 'growing your own' because there's no work involved, but we've got two superb vines which produce masses of black grapes every year. They thrive really well on chalky soil, so on the edge of the Downs here, we're laughing.

Oh and some apples, as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
now have a garden, my first venture into growing chillis has begun and some kitchen herbs also going. thinking peppers should be a good idea too.

wild garlic, is that an easy/low maintenance? im not green fingered and need simple plants.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I planted some Jalapeno, Apache and another longer variety (name escapes me)... in a heated propogator at the weekend (from seeds gathered from last year's crop) and they have already germinated.

I'm going to put some more unusual ones down this weekend as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Late starting this year due to illness etc but going up the allotment this morning and then going to plant peppers, broad beans, legend tomatoes, Black Russia tomatoes(Beefsteak) Summer cabbage, cougettes. Last year soembody gave me some tomato [plants and I made the mistake of putting too many in the greenhouse and they were a nightmare to control so this year will only replant about 3 of each variety. Plus some outdoor Alicante ones but everybody tells me that outdoor do not grow on our allotments much as they seem to get the blight but I will try them.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We're growing:

Apples, Cherries, Toms, Strawberries & Pears
Pots, Carrots, Parsnips, Garlic, Onions, Fennel, Sprouts (later), Cabbage & Chilli's

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Finally managed to get an allotment this year and have today off work to dig it over. After that I'll probably start with potatoes ( I saw pink fir apple seeding potatoes at the garden centre last week so will start with them ) as it's something I haven't the space to grow in the garden. Getting a greenhouse for my birthday and at that point I'll look to grow loads of different types of tomatoes.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Just been able to acquire an overgrown allotment after a three and a half year wait - 60' x 30' - all for £10.00 a year from the local parish council (goes up to £15.00 if you are not local!)

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Mrs Narly is the green fingered one in our house - so far she's planted tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and rocket. I'm hoping that she doesn't ask question sabout the UV lamps I've just installed in the bottom shed.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Normally grow early and maincrop potatoes but decided to give them a rest this year. Instead it will be peas, carrots, sprouts, sweetcorn, chillis and tomatoes. All the necessary bits and pieces have been acquired. Now just need to find the time to start sowing.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Planted tomatoes, french dwarf beans and Charlotte potatoes last weekend.

Plan to sort out the strawberry pots in the next few days and hoping they'll crop well again having been moved around a bit last year.

As we rent now, we've left our vegetable patch back in Sussex (and turfed it), along with the cherry tree, but still hope to grow plenty.

I'm banned from growing courgettes this year, though. OD'd on them a bit last year!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...and hops. I want to try starting some hops for future brewing, as i understand the first year they dont crop very well. anyone know of any (east) sussex garden centers that sell hop plants?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Like a couple of others have just got an allotment, also very overgrown. Ours is about £25 a year, but not complaining, it's huge and we got left plum trees, apple tree, strawberries, redcurrants and raspberries plus about eight large beds. Been clearing and digging them over Saturday and Sunday, soon be ready to get started on planting some veg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here