Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grizzly to leave Sussex!!!!!!!!!!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sussex skipper Chris Adams is poised to quit Sussex and make a shock move to Yorkshire.

Adams, 36, is being lined-up for a newly-created role combining captaincy and team management at Headingley.

Yorkshire have had to make an official approach because he is still under contract but the deal is expected to be finalised within a fortnight.
continued...

Adams is attracted by the security of a long contract, believed to be three years, and is excited by the potential of developing a management role at Headingley.

His current Sussex contract runs out at the end of 2007 and the club say they have offered him improved terms, although chairman David Green would not confirm the length of the new deal.

Adams refused to comment, except to say: "I have one year left on my contract and I am waiting for the club to make me a new offer."

The sensational news that the most successful captain in their history is about to leave will stun Sussex supporters, with whom he has proved extremely popular.

It comes just five weeks after Adams guided the county to their second Championship in four seasons.

Adams has led Sussex to six trophies in nine seasons since joining from Derbyshire in 1997 and yesterday he was at Buckingham Palace with the squad to officially receive the Championship trophy from the Duke of Edinburgh.

Yorkshire chief executive Stewart Regan refused to say Adams was their target to succeed Craig White, who resigned at the end of the season, although he did confirm an appointment was imminent.

He said: "We're at the legal stage at the moment in terms of the captaincy situation and it's a question of dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

"The best teams are built around a strong captain and that's what we're looking to create at Yorkshire."

The loss of Adams, who was born two miles from the Yorkshire border in north Derbyshire, is a massive blow for Sussex.

As recently as August, Adams expressed his desire to lead the county for a tenth season in 2007 and believes he can continue playing until he is 40.

But he has made no secret of his desire to eventually move into a management role. He was interviewed for the chief executive vacancy in the summer but that job went to Gus Mackay.

Earlier this month cricket manager Mark Robinson re-iterated Sussex wanted to keep the most successful side in their history together but admitted they could not compete financially with some of their rivals, particularly counties like Yorkshire whose revenue is boosted by staging international cricket.

He said: "We want the likes of Adams, Mushtaq, Rana and Goodwin to play for Sussex as long as they can. What I can't do is bankrupt the club. Everyone has their price. Big players come and go at every club but life goes on."

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What?! Where has this come from!? I thought he had signed up with Brighton College as well.

Sad news if this does happen, but good luck to him. He has been the catalyst that we needed after years of underachieving.

Grizzly :bowdown:

Ps Where is the funny insert? :angry:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Grizzly out :angry:

Oh :dunce:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Please don't let this be true - I was really hoping that Grizzly would stay on after retiring.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Adams has a massive ego and this sort of move to a combined captaincy and management job on a big salary will fit his megalomaniac tendencies nicely...

I have always regarded him as a bit of a one-trick pony "aggressive leading from the front" and will be interested to see how he gets on in a role that demands a more varied skill set

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Step up to the plate... Michael Yardy, the new Sussex skipper.

Off-field characteristics and egos aside, Chris Adams came in as part of the revolution at Sussex, and over the years transformed the nature of cricket at Hove from shambling journeyman trying oh-so-hard to a pretty lean mean fighting machine.

Look at the performance - certainly the bowling and fielding performance - at Lords this season. There is no way Sussex would have bounced back in that match without the team spirit engendered by Chris Adams, Peter Moores and continued by Mark Robinson.

The club has plenty to thank Chris Adams for - his account at Sussex is definitely is definitely in the credit column.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Anthony McGrath is rumoured to be unhappy at Yorkshire... I'd gladly take him as part of a deal if the worst came to the worst and Grizzly left.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Chris Adams is a brilliant captain and a solid batsman, it would be a disaster if he left.

The only silver lining is that we could not be in a stronger position to recruit a replacement from the viewpoint of being a contending team that wins trophies.

I think Adams is probably correct in thinking he's got at least 2 years good cricket left in him, just look at the runs the likes of Ramprakash, Crawley and Hick have made in recent years, and they're all pushing 40.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Pavillionaire - may I remind you that we have already lost out on three players this winter to so called bigger clubs :angry: :angry:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, but you want to attract players hungry for success as opposed to players who just want the cash. Lancs are one of the richest, but how many league titles have they won recently? And Yorkshire.

I would have thought there must be a few senior pros out there who've won f*** all who might fancy a bit of silverware. I mean, if you've got Mushy you're already halfway there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here