Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greedy or Stupid?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Real Madrid came knocking on my door I'd give it a bloody go even if I knew it would be tough.

Quite. I'd understand peoples' arguments if he was currently on £2,000 a week and was being offered a pay cut to £1,000 to go there, fair enough, he needs the money.

Jermaine Pennant DOES NOT NEED EXTRA MONEY HE HAS PLENTY.

:thud::thud:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Too right...no one can live on £30,000 a week nowadays. :thud:

No footballer in the Premier League REQUIRES more money. They all have far more than they NEED. I would chop my nads off to say I was bought by Real Madrid. A player of Pennant's level will never achieve anything else as good as that in his entire career.

Agree.

I also find it amusing when Premiership players complain of a short career when a single contract sets them up for life and means they dont have to ever work again. Mind you, most of them dont seem to ever work again once the ink has dried on said contract.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is NO WAY Pennant will not regret this if he has arsed it up as it seems he has.

He'll be telling his kids how he got a few games at Wigan, went on to warm the bench at Hull, then Charlton, then Yeovil, and he'll never mention it, but he'll still know in the back of his mind until his final days that he could've played for one of the greatest teams of all time.

But he wants 7 cars, not 6. So that's that. Not that Real Madrid isn't a REASONABLY good thing to have on your CV.

:thud:

He wont regret it. Making it for the modern day footballer is about contracts and lifestyles....not winning medals or playing for prestigious football teams.

As a contrast I recall there was an player who got promoted to the Football League (with Accrington I think) and whilst most of the team left as they didnt want to turn full-time and loose their day job income he in-effect took a pay cut and signed up for one year. He was past 30, jacked in his job as a JCB driver and with the backing of his family signed up.... he said he had always dreamt of being a pro footballer and couldnt let this chance slip even if it was for one year as it meant so much to him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You really think he's turning it down because he's thinking about his grandkids education?

:laugh:

I would if it meant much better prospects later in my career.

Did you support Cashley Cole in his bid to be paid more? Cos he was doing it for his grandkids?

You talk like the nobody you so obviously are, when you grow up you might get some common sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here