Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greedy or Stupid?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm no apologist for Pennant, but perhaps he realises his 1st team opportunities at Real Madrid would be VERY limited. Take a pay cut and play in the Spanish ressies, or stay on a similar wage and play week-in, week out in the Premiership ?

If he actually wants to play, then I don't blame him for snubbing Madrid.

But if they had of offered £60K he would have beenn happy in the stiffs? Whatever way you look at it???

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Real Madrid were after Pennant? ??? ??? ???

:thud:

OR he could play for one of the world's greatest football teams.

Taking more money to play for WIGAN in front of 15,000 every week is without a doubt both GREEDY and STUPID.

Er.... smaller club and (according to all the NSC logic-atitions) a lower profiled place in the sport - but done for greed and money.

I see (I think I don't see, actually).

Still, you lot can mind-read and you all know he did it for the money."without a doubt"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Excuse me....but if you're already a big earner in your home country, yet a foreign company offer you HALF what you want for relocating abroad with no assurances about your future or any security - how stupid/greedy are you to require more money?

Too right...no one can live on £30,000 a week nowadays. :thud:

No footballer in the Premier League REQUIRES more money. They all have far more than they NEED. I would chop my nads off to say I was bought by Real Madrid. A player of Pennant's level will never achieve anything else as good as that in his entire career.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
OR he could play for one of the world's greatest football teams.

Taking more money to play for WIGAN in front of 15,000 every week is without a doubt both GREEDY and STUPID.

Yes, it's like working for Summerfields then taking a 50% wage cut to work for Tesco just because they are bigger. Neither greedy or stupid, you obviously don't have a mortgage.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, it's like working for Summerfields then taking a 50% wage cut to work for Tesco just because they are bigger. Neither greedy or stupid, you obviously don't have a mortgage.

Somerfields to Tesco being compared to Wigan and REAL EFFIN MADRID doesn't work.

Playing for Real Madrid is the stuff dreams are made of. I'm sure Pennant can survive with cutting down on a mansion or two. I THINK he has enough money somehow.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
That's like 35k ( euros) and the EURO is coming down, so he can then swap them for £'s and make shit loads of money!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There is NO WAY Pennant will not regret this if he has arsed it up as it seems he has.

He'll be telling his kids how he got a few games at Wigan, went on to warm the bench at Hull, then Charlton, then Yeovil, and he'll never mention it, but he'll still know in the back of his mind until his final days that he could've played for one of the greatest teams of all time.

But he wants 7 cars, not 6. So that's that. Not that Real Madrid isn't a REASONABLY good thing to have on your CV.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm no apologist for Pennant, but perhaps he realises his 1st team opportunities at Real Madrid would be VERY limited. Take a pay cut and play in the Spanish ressies, or stay on a similar wage and play week-in, week out in the Premiership ?

If he actually wants to play, then I don't blame him for snubbing Madrid.

Correct. Why would you take £30k a week, to move to a different country, JUST to sit on the bench? Fair play to him I say.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Apparently no wages have been discussed and Liverpool are negotiating with Madrid for a price.

However, if he's good enough for Madrid, then so am i.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd rather play ONE game for Real at the Bernabau, than a full season in front of 9,000 woolybacks at the JJB.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd rather play ONE game for Real at the Bernabau, than a full season in front of 9,000 woolybacks at the JJB.

Exactly. I'd rather play once for Real Madrid than play a whole career for Wigan. Plus what sounds more inviting to prospective buyers:

Currently at Wigan, and formerly of Liverpool...

Currently at Real Madrid, playing in the Champions League, and formerly of Liverpool...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to SSN personal terms havent been discussed but if he left for Real and flopped some other Prem side would be interested as opposed to Wigan where can he go after them only to the Championship or lower.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Somerfields to Tesco being compared to Wigan and REAL EFFIN MADRID doesn't work.

Playing for Real Madrid is the stuff dreams are made of. I'm sure Pennant can survive with cutting down on a mansion or two. I THINK he has enough money somehow.

He's in a profession where his career could end in seconds thanks to injury. Shame on him for considering his future outside of football. Naturally you'd take a 50% pay cut to work for a more prestigious employer I'm sure.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Exactly. I'd rather play once for Real Madrid than play a whole career for Wigan. Plus what sounds more inviting to prospective buyers:

Currently at Wigan, and formerly of Liverpool...

Currently at Real Madrid, playing in the Champions League, and formerly of Liverpool...

Spoken like some one who has never had a decent job and thinks that memories are worth more than money. Funny how supermarkets prefer money for goods.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Spoken like some one who has never had a decent job and thinks that memories are worth more than money. Funny how supermarkets prefer money for goods.

Stop comparing supermarkets to football clubs. The analogy does not work.

In any case, I think if he went to Real Madrid due to their high profile nature there's good reason to believe he would end up making a LOT MORE money than staying at some (comparably) bit-part outfit like Wigan.

Playing for Real Madrid would still be a VERY DECENT JOB.

And don't patronise me, lad.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's in a profession where his career could end in seconds thanks to injury. Shame on him for considering his future outside of football. Naturally you'd take a 50% pay cut to work for a more prestigious employer I'm sure.

You really think he's turning it down because he's thinking about his grandkids education?

:laugh:

I would if it meant much better prospects later in my career.

Did you support Cashley Cole in his bid to be paid more? Cos he was doing it for his grandkids?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps its not JUST about the money. Perhaps he wants to be somewhere where he will be making regular 1st team appearances. If Michael Owen couldn't establish himself at RM (despite a more than respectable scoring record), then what chance would Pennant have ? Madrid have a vast squad, Pennant would just be there making up the numbers.

If I was in his shoes (minus the security tag), I'd far rather be getting regular 1st team action at Wigan than kicking my heels in RM Reserves.

If Real Madrid came knocking on my door I'd give it a bloody go even if I knew it would be tough.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
We're after this too bob tosspot too apparently..

£2 mill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here