Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greedy or Stupid?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Greedy? Stupid? Or both?

Jermaine Pennant has missed out on the chance to resurrect his career after his wage demand caused a £3.5m move to Real Madrid to collapse, it was reported last night. Juande Ramos's club were poised to announce the signing of the Liverpool midfielder, who has started only two league matches this season.

But the deal fell flat after Pennant demanded £60,000 a week, double what the Spanish giants were prepared to pay. Instead he must now decide whether to sign a loan deal with Wigan, where he would be reunited with Steve Bruce, his manager at Birmingham.

He will be a free agent in the summer. Pennant, 25, would not have been certain of a starting place in the Madrid team but failed to see that the move, which according to the Daily Mail broke down early yesterday evening, would have helped his career.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Surely any decent footballer would take a huge wage cut to play for Real Madrid?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Well with the prices of things these days, anything less than £60,000 a week is almost like being on the dole

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I can't think of a bigger shop window to put myself in than Real Madrid. The incentive to perform well, therefore either a) Getting an improved contract with the worlds biggest club, or b) Getting another club coming in willing to pay the wages you demand because of your performances.
Surely the chances of getting a name for yourself are greater at Real Madrid than on loan at Wigan.
Still, the Spanish will never know what we know. Pennant is a prick.

Surely any decent footballer would take a huge wage cut to play for Real Madrid?

Apparently the English Prem is the highly regarded league in the World.
Can you imagine a Premier side not wanting Pennant as a free agent in a few months?

As a loanee to Wigan, he'll get games, and will probably move in the summer I'd imagine - where the lack of transfer fee will likely be allocated into his wages.

Robbie Savage was apparently on £34,000 per week at Derby, according to rumours on here.
Pennant should surely be worth more, at his age?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It kinda shows the utter lack of desire that most English players seem to have

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm no apologist for Pennant, but perhaps he realises his 1st team opportunities at Real Madrid would be VERY limited. Take a pay cut and play in the Spanish ressies, or stay on a similar wage and play week-in, week out in the Premiership ?

If he actually wants to play, then I don't blame him for snubbing Madrid.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Apparently the English Prem is the highly regarded league in the World.
Can you imagine a Premier side not wanting Pennant as a free agent in a few months?

As a loanee to Wigan, he'll get games, and will probably move in the summer I'd imagine - where the lack of transfer fee will likely be allocated into his wages.

OR he could play for one of the world's greatest football teams.

Taking more money to play for WIGAN in front of 15,000 every week is without a doubt both GREEDY and STUPID.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excuse me....but if you're already a big earner in your home country, yet a foreign company offer you HALF what you want for relocating abroad with no assurances about your future or any security - how stupid/greedy are you to require more money?

I'm sorry but issues of relocation, job security etc are not quite the same for footballers as they are for the rest of us.

We know he is stupid. This just proves he is greedy as well.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm no apologist for Pennant, but perhaps he realises his 1st team opportunities at Real Madrid would be VERY limited. Take a pay cut and play in the ressies, or stay on a similar wage and play week-in, week out in the Premiership ?

If he actually wants to play, then I don't blame him for snubbing Madrid.

I'm sure his grand-children will love his 'I played for Wigan back in the day' stories...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure his grand-children will love his 'I played for Wigan back in the day' stories...

Who was that clown who went to West Ham instead of Liverpool because they offered more money?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Perhaps its not JUST about the money. Perhaps he wants to be somewhere where he will be making regular 1st team appearances. If Michael Owen couldn't establish himself at RM (despite a more than respectable scoring record), then what chance would Pennant have ? Madrid have a vast squad, Pennant would just be there making up the numbers.

If I was in his shoes (minus the security tag), I'd far rather be getting regular 1st team action at Wigan than kicking my heels in RM Reserves.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Perhaps its not JUST about the money. Perhaps he wants to be somewhere where he will be making regular 1st team appearances. If Michael Owen couldn't establish himself at RM (despite a more than respectable scoring record), then what chance would Pennant have ? Madrid have a vast squad, Pennant would just be there making up the numbers.

If I was in his shoes (minus the security tag), I'd far rather be getting regular 1st team action at Wigan than kicking my heels in RM Reserves.

If it were me I'd do the same, but then I'm not Pennant - a fairly average premiership footballer who'd be lucky to get a run in any decent Premiership team.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He's neither greedy or stupid. He's a PROFESSIONAL footballer trying to make as much money as he can in his short career. He'll be able to move for nothing at the end of the season. What's so special about being a Real Madrid bit part player when he can do the same at Liverpool for twice as much money ?

Still, he could at some point say that like Julio Englasius he played to Madrid's reserves although I reckon his kids and his grand kids would rather he left them a lot of money.

Oct 25, 2003
wow, i actually forgot that he existed!

and yeah, he's a bit of a twat

BUT

he's not playing regularly for liverpool, and he wouldn't at real either, but he WOULD be for wigan

i think he'd be a bit stupid to take a pay cut to do basically what he's doing now

the only advantage would be being able to say that he was at real madrid for a bit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here