Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greece crisis: Europe on edge over snap election

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
or
4. consequences are already largely priced in.

Priced in indeed, Euro has fallen a long way alread. At the end of the day Greece is just 3% of the EU population.

I see Tsipras is now playing hinting at playing the Russian card in talking with Putin, they are made for each other let them get on with it

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Greece can just print a bunch more Euros and issue them to their banks as and when needed. Not sure there's anything (of consequence) that the ECB could do about it...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When you look at the reasons why Greece is in this mess it is simply staggering that they were allowed to be part of the Eurozone in the first place, e.g. low retirement age, high state benefits and pension spending, high public sector wages, strong unions, weak politicians, complex tax (6 different rates of VAT).

All of the signals it gives out are that it is a country that doesn't want to work.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Greece threatened with insolvency, says Germany's Gabriel

The hard line from Germany continues.

Deputy chancellor and economy minister Sigmar Gabriel has said*Greece*is now threatened with insolvency. And if it wants to stay in the eurozone it has to present proposals that go beyond what it has offered before.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Germany’s vice chancellor is warning that a third Greek bailout would include taxing conditions, as it would be issued under the European Stability Mechanism:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Greece can just print a bunch more Euros and issue them to their banks as and when needed. Not sure there's anything (of consequence) that the ECB could do about it...

I don't think Greece are allowed to print Euros when they like. They could print Drachmas, but not Euros. Although switching to the Drachma would probably be even worse, no one would want them, they are too entwined in the EU to make a stable switchover.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Greece threatened with insolvency, says Germany's Gabriel

The hard line from Germany continues.

Deputy chancellor and economy minister Sigmar Gabriel has said*Greece*is now threatened with insolvency.

Germany going that extra mile to drive Greece into the welcoming arms of either Putin or a US-backed new set of Colonels. Well done.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I went to my bank, got a loan.

Now "I can't repay it " I moan,

"And though I seem rash

You must give me more cash:

You can tell I'm an Oxi- morone."

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Germany’s vice chancellor is warning that a third Greek bailout would include taxing conditions, as it would be issued under the European Stability Mechanism:

How nice of them ..... they clearly have very short memories !!!! So we didn't need to world wars for the Germans to control Europe, we've just given it to them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Germany going that extra mile to drive Greece into the welcoming arms of either Putin or a US-backed new set of Colonels. Well done.

it isnt a threat from Germany, its a German making a statement of fact. Greece is technically insolvent, their banks only being propped up by the ECB. if they dont sort a deal, the ECB will have to withdraw bank support and Greece is bankrupt.

It's a complete mess. I hope that history is harsh on Merkel, Sarkozy, Lagarde etc. who created this crisis. Europe's political leaders have shown a breath-taking lack of historical awareness in blaming Syriza for destroying negotiations but not acknowledging the role that a huge recession (caused largely by Troika-demanded austerity) has had in driving the population's move to the hard left.

Unless they can agree a new bailout sharpish (probably by the middle of this week) the Greek banks will go bankrupt and, I assume, Greece will be forced out of the Euro. Then all bets are off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a complete mess. I hope that history is harsh on Merkel, Sarkozy, Lagarde etc. who created this crisis. Europe's political leaders have shown a breath-taking lack of historical awareness in blaming Syriza for destroying negotiations but not acknowledging the role that a huge recession (caused largely by Troika-demanded austerity) has had in driving the population's move to the hard left.

How f*cking DARE the pure-greed-driven global institutions that caused all of this post-2008 mess in the first place beat up on the ordinary citizens of Greece! Utterly shameful, and total respect to the Greek people for overwhelmingly telling them to SWIVEL :bowdown:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think it goes much further back than 2008. The big mistake was letting the Greeks join the Euro in the first place. Their economy based largely on tourism was bound to suffer when their weak currency which could attract overeseas visitors if devalued, was lost as a holiday incentive. Other countries like Hungary have profited by staying out.

By the number of foreign tourists in Seaford over the weekend, so have we.....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I don't think Greece are allowed to print Euros when they like. They could print Drachmas, but not Euros. Although switching to the Drachma would probably be even worse, no one would want them, they are too entwined in the EU to make a stable switchover.

Can you spot Greek Euro-notes from others though? The coins re different but what about the paper?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Can you spot Greek Euro-notes from others though? The coins re different but what about the paper?

I would guess that there are other identifiers such as serial numbers, rather than a picture of demis Roussos or something

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here