NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Technical gymnastics do not necessarily make a great guitarist

This was the original full recording that was cut in half for the single

Kind of Blue

Apr 18, 2012
Worthing
Hello all,

As this is my first post I can't add a link but check out Peter Green's solo on the live version of 'Jumping At Shadows'.

Around the 2:38 mark...

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
What a great thread,just skirted though the thread and am going to go back through to listen to ones i've not heard before.Agree all solo's are great in there own right and of course depends on the listener,one more to throw into the mix; The Seahorses-Love is the law(John Squires i Think)about 3 minutes in,ENJOY!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Too many to choose from so have taken the liberty of narrowing down the field mainly to British guitarists. Even then it is important to know that the guitar playing is live i.e. not the product of umpteen takes in a studio and not enhanced by all sorts of techno post-production wizardry, so from a blues genre one of my faves is Clapton's so called 'best 32 seconds of British Blues guitar' on the live version of 'Crossroads' at The Filmore, circa '68. I still try to visualise EC playing that and wonder what substsnces he was on that night 'cos IMHO Clapton has done nothing remotely approaching that since then.

'Comfortably numb' by Gilmour, Blackmore on 'Speed King', and various Slash or Gary Moore solos are all up there. I know it's rather cheesy to mention a certain Led Zep anthem but Page would get a vote for his live playing. SRV's live version of 'Voodoo Chile' is probably as good as the original. It's all in the eye / ear of the beholder so recognise that everyone will have their own fave. Slim from The Hamsters has always done a mean version of Voodoo Chile but must say he was absolutely outstanding on their recent farewell tour.

From the more contemporary guitar heroes I would opt for Joe Bonamassa. Yes I know he is foreign but has to be one the most understated guitar front men, the future is safe in his hands. Lots in his solo catalogue to choose from but 'Cold' by Black Country Communion' is an example of his talent.

Just to throw a curve ball into the wider discussion - how about 'duelling banjos' from the film 'Deliverance'? - I know its foreign and on a banjo but that sort of plucking goes down particularly well in these parts.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Technical gymnastics do not necessarily make a great guitarist

This was the original full recording that was cut in half for the single

Excellent - after posting earlier on I was driving around in the car this afternoon and actually decided to post about this track. I first heard it when I was about 12, and it genuinely brought tears to my eyes.

Someine else mentioned Clapton on the live version of Crossroads, which had also come to my mind. Very different to Need your love so bad, but electrifying.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Excellent - after posting earlier on I was driving around in the car this afternoon and actually decided to post about this track. I first heard it when I was about 12, and it genuinely brought tears to my eyes.

Someine else mentioned Clapton on the live version of Crossroads, which had also come to my mind. Very different to Need your love so bad, but electrifying.

Peter Green is the favourite guitarist of MY favourite guitarist Vini Reilly and I love them both! Anyone familiar with Vini's Durutti Column will know he is not really a guitar solo exponent, more of an ambient twiddly diddly player.

As I posted on another thread the three guitarists I would love to see live and cannot due to fact they have all shuffled off this mortal coil were all soloists of some note:

Jimi Hendrix
Rory Gallagher
Frank Zappa

I was lucky enough to see the last two in concert, but was not quite old enough to see Mr Hendrix....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here