Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest guitar solo's

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not talking about 'playing a bit of guitar which is integral to the song'. I'm talking about 30 or 40 secnds of show-boating which, whilst technically impressive, is effectively completely distinct from the song it purports to form part of. Most of the suggestions posted fall into this category, however 'clever' the skills exhibited might be.

Guitar solos are (almost without exception), to music, what pointless additional step-overs are to football.

Oi, check the ones I've suggested out. They completely elevate the songs without stepping outside of them, but they're still "solos" really.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I'm not talking about 'playing a bit of guitar which is integral to the song'. I'm talking about 30 or 40 secnds of show-boating which, whilst technically impressive, is effectively completely distinct from the song it purports to form part of. Most of the suggestions posted fall into this category, however 'clever' the skills exhibited might be.

Guitar solos are (almost without exception), to music, what pointless additional step-overs are to football.

The correct musical term is not a 'solo' but a 'cadenza', and has been used in classical music since Mozart. In fact it was generally accepted that a performer would write their own cadenza and shoehorn it in to the concerto work of another composer, as a means of displaying their technical skill to the audience.

Most recorded performances will prefer to use the composers own cadenza, assuming he wrote one ( and in the case of someone like Beethoven they very often didn't ) so if you listen to a Beethoven piano concerto then you will not hear a cadenza written by Beethoven, but by someone else.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Mr argument is if I am going to watch a person who supposedly is BRILLIANT at guitar, then I want him to DEMONSTRATE that to me.

It's like signing Ronaldo and then telling him to not do a stepover as it's a bit showy-offy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oi, check the ones I've suggested out. They completely elevate the songs without stepping outside of them, but they're still "solos" really.

I'm a peppers fan, so don't need to listen to that one (can't get YT here at work anyway). Point stands. Anything beyond 20 seconds or so is self-indulgent show-boating.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mr argument is if I am going to watch a person who supposedly is BRILLIANT at guitar, then I want him to DEMONSTRATE that to me.

It's like signing Ronaldo and then telling him to not do a stepover as it's a bit showy-offy.

You're missing the point entirely. If Ronaldo did two step-overs to beat a man, you'd applaud it. If he found himself in 20 yards of space, and stood there doing fifteen pointless step-overs, you'd think he was being a cock.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

But then I listen to music for what a BAND can do together, not see how many hours one of them has been axe-wanking in their bedroom.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles

I cannot agree with that. A song or instrumental (rock, metal etc) without a guitar solo is, quite simply, without a soul. Yes there are a lot of badly written and poorly executed solos, but the good ones... so good.

Alas, I cannot link youtube from work, so will link you some tasty solo's when I get back home in the eve.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I cannot agree with that. A song or instrumental (rock, metal etc) without a guitar solo is, quite simply, without a soul. Yes there are a lot of badly written and poorly executed solos, but the good ones... so good.

Alas, I cannot link youtube from work, so will link you some tasty solo's when I get back home in the eve.

Okay. I promise to listen to them all. I'll try to be open-minded too, but from your choice of words above, I'm expecting nothing but for you to choose EXACTLY the kind of nonsense I've been arguing against!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Anything beyond 20 seconds or so is self-indulgent show-boating.

By and large, absolutely this.

But there are a few honourable exceptions where long solos are used to build tension within a song rather than throwing it completely off its rhythm.

By several country miles, the best example of this to my ears is Television's Marquee Moon:

[yt]jlbunmCbTBA[/yt]

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You're missing the point entirely. If Ronaldo did two step-overs to beat a man, you'd applaud it. If he found himself in 20 yards of space, and stood there doing fifteen pointless step-overs, you'd think he was being a cock.

No, what I mean is if someone is portrayed as the best at something you want to be entertained by that quality.

I wouldnt have wanted to go see Hendrix and then see him just strumming along. I would want a moment of individual brilliance.

It's not an either or situatiuon. The guitar solo does not have to be INSTEAD of some excellent band-playing. It compliments it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I cannot agree with that. A song or instrumental (rock, metal etc) without a guitar solo is, quite simply, without a soul.

A frankly insane statement - no different to saying any song without a KEY CHANGE has no soul.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
All depends on the listener's mood, but certainly up amongst the best I've heard has to be UFO (Michael Schenker) 'Rock Bottom' from 'Stranger in the Night' album.........

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
By and large, absolutely this.

But there are a few honourable exceptions where long solos are used to build tension within a song rather than throwing it completely off its rhythm.

By several country miles, the best example of this to my ears is Television's Marquee Moon:

[yt]jlbunmCbTBA[/yt]

Good call. Another couple I'd chuck into the mix (one slightly surprising) would be on
Don't believe a word - Thin Lizzy, and
Goodbye to Love - The Carpenters

Both perfect in their own way, but serving entirely different purposes in the dynamics of the song.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Difficult when so many people are hidebound by categories of music, but if you listen to "Time is Tight" by Booker T and the MG's (possibly my favourite ever instrumental) the guitar solo towards the end is in my view the flabbiest weakest bit of the whole track, and Steve Cropper was a bit of a hero.

way back in the 70's, I can remember a reviewer saying that the guitar solo on Promise of a Fisherman on the Album Borboletta by (Carlos) Santana was the best guitar solo ever recorded. Obviously a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then......

My favourite ever air guitar track is Blue Sky by the Allman Brothers band - rubbish lyrics but two great guitarists - Dicky Betts and Duane Allman - Nothing flashy or too fast, but for soul and feeling....

And another shout for Steve Hillage. He played on a Kevin Ayers track once called "Shouting in a Bucket Blues". Tremendous.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Also, (yes i've come back to this) the idea that a solo can't be complimentary to the track if it is over a certain length is, in my opinion, bollocks.

Simple example: Jimmy Page in stairway to heaven. It basically sets up the BRILLIANT end to the whole track.

What I hate most about music is when people over-analyse it. Solo's are great and they often are a bit showy-off and pretentious. SO WHAT

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Surely the Solo in stairway to heaven is the best, no one has ever played anything like that.

Different strokes for different folks. personally I think that Stairway to heaven is the biggest load of pretentious claptrap I have ever heard.... nothing personal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here