Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest ever film soundtrack

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What is the greatest film soundtrack, who are the classical masters ???

Being a film addict I always pay a lot of attention to the film score which is a very important part of the film and the experience.

Williams, Horner, Barry , Nyman , Zimmer have done some great works which for me hold up well to the classical masters.

Classical, Rock, Jazz, Pop

What is the best and who are the great composers

For me this is the greatest ever film soundtrack

------------------------------------------------

Somewhere in Time (1980)
Directed by
Jeannot Szwarc

Genre: Drama / Romance / Fantasy (more)

Tagline: Beyond fantasy. Beyond obsession. Beyond time itself... he will find her. (more)

Plot Outline: A Chicago playwright uses self-hypnosis to find the actress whose vintage portrait hangs in a grand hotel. (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: My all-time favorite movie. (more)

User Rating: 6.8/10 (4,760 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:
Christopher Reeve .... Richard Collier
Jane Seymour .... Elise McKenna
Christopher Plummer .... William Fawcett Robinson
Teresa Wright .... Laura Roberts
Bill Erwin .... Arthur Biehl
George Voskovec .... Dr. Gerald Finney
Susan French .... Older Elise
John Alvin .... Arthur's Father
Eddra Gale .... Genevieve
Audrey Bennett .... Shelley, Richard's Girlfriend
William H. Macy .... Critic (as W.H. Macy)
Laurence Coven .... Critic
Susan Bugg .... Penelope
Christy Michaels .... Beverly
Ali Matheson .... Student
Soundtrack ... JOHN BARRY

Awards: Nominated for Oscar. Another 5 wins & 3 nominations (more)

SOMEWHERE IN TIME

User Comments:

25 out of 29 people found the following comment useful:-
My all-time favorite movie., 3 November 2004

Author: Chuck Miller from Jax, Fla

There are those few movies that make you sit back and just be amazed at the artistic excellence you've just seen. Citizen Kane, Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, The Godfather, Ben Hur, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy are a few of these. Somewhere In Time is not a blockbuster actioner, but is perhaps the finest fantasy love story ever made.

The cast is perfect. Christopher Reeve is extremely believable. Jane Seymour is gorgeous as the young actress, as is Teresa Wright as her older self. Christopher Plummer is great as Elise McKenna's manager, and Bill Erwin affords himself fine as Arthur. The setting, music, story, and acting are all top notch! We are slowly drawn (and it's just great to take one's time to get involved) into this mysterious romance as the paradox pair of the watch and the time travel gets our hero to "come back to me."

Simply Superb! If you are one of the very few who has not seen this movie, please get it and watch it one time. I've seen it at least 10 times and enjoy it as much each time.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Bloody hell I knew there would be a Spielberg connection, Jeannot Szwarc directed Jaws 2.
:nono:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am talking about the film soundtrack Les, John Barry , not the film director, in any case the film is superb as well.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
I am talking about the film soundtrack Les, John Barry , not the film director, in any case the film is superb as well.

I've never seen it and it was only supposed to be a bit of lighthearted ribbing.:down:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Uncle Spielberg said:
Williams, Horner, Barry , Nyman , Zimmer have done some great works which for me hold up well to the classical masters.

Ennio Morricone anyone? Cinema Paradiso, One Upon aTime in the West, the Untouchables...

Williams and horner are bombastic and over-rated.

Incredibly however, I do find myself agreeing with you about John Barry, Michael Nyman and Hans Zimmer. Barry wrote some great stuff, probably peaking with Midnight Cowboy. And Nyman's soundtrack to Michael Winterbottom's Wonderland is THE best movie music in recent years, closely followed by Zimmer's work on the Thin Red Line.

Oh, and that French guy who wrote the music to Amelie (Yann Tiersen?) is OK as well, although he borrows heavily from Michael Nyman.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The one that impressed me the most by a country mile was the opening of 2001 in the cinema, the rest of the soundtrack is pretty good too

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Millers Crossing and Transformers the movie.

'You got the touch', awesome tune.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Alexander Nevksy. Score by Prokofiev..it's the only film score album I own: stirring stuff.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I'm normally more of a Indie/Rock/Britpop man but I am partial to a bit of Hip Hop/R&B so the soundtrack to Romeo Must Die, produced by Timbaland and with tracks by DMX, Genuwine and Aaliyah is my favourite. Crackin tunes right the way through! :clap2: :clap2:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
both the shrek movies have quality soundtracks:clap:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nyman's soundtrack for End of the affair is stunning, Gabriel Yared, the English patient, Barry, somewhere in time, out of africa theme and the theme to indecent proposal are breathtakingly beautiful,

William's best piece is the magnificent ET, Close Encounters and Schindler's list, mastperpieces all of them.

Horner's Titanic is a great piece and Zimmer's Gladiator is great.

Jul 20, 2003
A few scores that spring to mind:

Scott Of The Antarctic - Vaughan Williams
Gatacca - Michael Nyman
The Mission - Enino Morricone
Get Carter - Harold Budd
Blade Runner - Vangelis
Cape Fear - Bernard Hermann

In terms of soundtracks, the following have been living in my car and getting regular airing for a year or so

Repo Man
Royal Tennenbaums
Big Lebowski

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dr Shivago

Anything by John Barry

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here