Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest Ending to a film

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Angels With Dirty Faces
(where Cagney goes to the chair begging for mercy in front of the kids who idolized him, after telling the priest he wouldn't play chicken for anyone. Astounding.)

going yella, who'd thought it

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
"Carrie"

Everyone thinks its all over and are about to put their coats/kettles on and as she tends to the grave - out pops a hand from the ground - made everyone in the cinema scream (some of the lads too maybe).

10 out of 10 for impact !

Many years have past since I saw this at the cinema, but I remember to this day the reaction of the audiance. Exactly as you discribed!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The 1956 original – not the reamake. One of the most chilling endings ever.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
(where the chief suffocates the lobotomized Randle Murphy, then walks out the window with his body)

That good was it that you cant even remember it properly NMH.
He runs through the window with the water closet/fountain which MCMURPHY tried and failed to lift. That was the whole point of the ending.......:facepalm:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Psycho 2
Actions speak louder then words, and this is the best 'shovel to the head' ending to a film ever, complete with a Tom & Jerry style 'Boing' sound effect, classic!

[yt]iS6chrslAfo[/yt]

stupendor

Feb 21, 2010
No one mentioned Saw? great twist, totally took me by surprise. And Fight club

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Somebody said it but the mist has the most horrible ghastly ending i can ever remember seeing,the film itself was so so but the ending ,total mind fk

Yeah, I'd vote against The Mist, because of the ending. Not that it shouldn't have happened, but because they wouldn't have given up so quickly.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As someone else has mentioned I like endings that do not always complete the story but leave you thinking. I really liked the ending of Lost in translation because you do not know what they say to each other at the end, nor do you really know whether their relationship is platonic or not.

For the same reason I like the inconclusive and ambiguous ending of Donnie Darko.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here