Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great work from the coalition

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know next to f*** all about politics. But lets be honest. It's not exactly rosey everywhere else in the world is it!

Not rosey, but it is better in other countries.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, had it not been for the Olmypics we'd be in a quadruple dip recession. Is this right?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
About right according to cleverer people than me

The country is f***ed. The triple A will be next then it's lights out. Cameron is the modern day Nero, fiddling with a referendum whilst the country burns.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not rosey, but it is better in other countries.

Not very many. Added to which those didn't spend spend spend whilst borrowing borrowing borrowing like the last rabble did.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So, had it not been for the Olmypics we'd be in a quadruple dip recession. Is this right?

no, because it would have been one single period of negative growth. interestingly, its arguable that the Olympics caused the second dip in the first place as people buying tickets suppressed spending elsewhere. that spending was carried over to the quater in which the event occured. frankly thats bonkers way of calculating the GDP and only serves to show how such small changes shouldn't be given so much attention (apparently the entire post war era has recently been revised up by rebasing the GDP in 1945. its not the benchmark we are lead to believe)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Or more likely the improvement you were lauding was a 'dead cat bounce'

Even Clegg now says that the coalition cut too fast and too deep. It takes a special kind of ineptness to put Ed Balls on the correct side of a political argument but Dave and Gideon have achieved it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
its arguable that the Olympics caused the second dip in the first place as people buying tickets suppressed spending elsewhere.

This does not make sense. It's still spending whether its on Olympic tickets or whatever the money would have been spent on originally.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Great work my back side Our det as gone up and all the figurs on unimployment have been doctered.The wealthy have had a tax reduction and all other tax payers are paying more.Good goverment NO.

Is this what they call text speak? Or should Larry go back to school and learn how to use his spellchecker?

D

Deleted member 2719

More of a Bli............... i would say it going to be slow road back after the looneys left us broke but we will grow stronger than before.

I suppose it can only be compared to the rise of the Albion, the country are just a year or two behind thou.

Blair=Archer
Brown = Bellotti

Bring on the cavalry.

Cameron= Bloom
Osbourne=Barber

:rock::cheers::cool:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i would say it going to be slow road back after the looneys left us broke but we will grow stronger than before.

Where on earth do you get this from? What exactly is going to start this journey? When will it start?
PS you cannot have an Olympics every year.

Racing club

Dec 2, 2012
What I find hard to believe is that you lot keep banging on about this issue. This issue is high on the priority list of the 'erberts in Whitehall, it has been well publicised, and is getting more public by the year. Steps are being taken to close the loopholes ( a matter of record somewhere) though as always these things take time, with new legislation or tax laws making their way through the democratic system that we enjoy. There is a balance of course, like EVERY government in just about EVERY country in the world, as has been mentioned in this thread already, incentives and tax breaks are offered to get large employers to invest and employ to the greater good of their respective nations..... speculation. Having said that, I do think that tax burdens of >10% as has been reported for some corporations, is taking the proverbial.

Large corporations are already sitting on billions of pounds but they are not investing because the opportunities are not there. At the end of 2011 non- financial companies were sitting on more than 700 billion pounds of idle money. Constantly cutting corporation tax is therefore one of the least effective forms of fiscal stimulus. It would be much better to have a fiscal stimulus through transfers to people who will spend quickly and through government investments in things that will also help us in the long run. Cutting corporation tax just pumps up the already dormant and bloated corporate cash reserves and shows how inept the coalition's economic strategy is.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Do people need to stop getting so excited by growth and recession? Was exponential growth in the economy ever a realistic prospect?

I don't see how it makes such big headlines every time it happens, the way everyone panics when they see the headlines you'd think they were Chicken Licken being told the sky was falling down!

When you look at the bigger picture over the last few years the economy has pretty much stagnated - a little bit of growth, then it contracts a bit, then a little bit of growth, then it contracts a bit. I'm pretty sure all the economists said that we'd stagnate for a decade, if not more, when the banking crisis hit so I don't know why people act surprised every time it happens. I'm waiting for the dodecca-dip recession in a few years time. There's bigger problems around the corner as well, see Japan for the way we might be heading.

I'm more concerned with the unemployment figure, to the average joe in the street it doesn't matter if the economy contracts 1% or expands 1% in a year if you are earning money (obviously I realise the two are linked) We need to start selling more stuff to other countries, the biggest sin of the Labour era is that they didn't help industry in this country. The coalition aren't much good either, the only difference is that Labour papered over the cracks by employing everyone in the civil service, whereas the coalition have cut that as well.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well done Bozza for starting a thread inviting all the tory boys to post a load of sycophantic bullshit!!!

this

three words
triple dip recession

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here