Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great week for music

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if y'all into leftfield house, techno, disco, don't-know then check out my blog at s

Mmmmm, clicked on the link and the first thing I see is Ewan Pearson. I will investigate further when I have time.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I listened to the new Memory Tapes album for the first time a few days ago. On initial impression, I don't think it's a patch on Seek Magic and just sounded a bit of whiny pop. I'm sure once I give it a few more listens I'll appreciate it a bit more though.

Think I'm going to have to chase up Yuksek - the only track of his I'm familiar with up to now is that "Tonight" track that was on an ad for Peugeot or something a year or two back that completely reeked of the work of fellow Frenchmen Justice.

I'm pretty excited about the forthcoming Washed Out album too, got a feeling it's going to be a cracker.

On a musical tangent, they're announcing the Mercury Music Prize shortlist next week - anyone have any fancies for it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I listened to the new Memory Tapes album for the first time a few days ago. On initial impression, I don't think it's a patch on Seek Magic and just sounded a bit of whiny pop. I'm sure once I give it a few more listens I'll appreciate it a bit more though.

Think I'm going to have to chase up Yuksek - the only track of his I'm familiar with up to now is that "Tonight" track that was on an ad for Peugeot or something a year or two back that completely reeked of the work of fellow Frenchmen Justice.

I'm pretty excited about the forthcoming Washed Out album too, got a feeling it's going to be a cracker.

On a musical tangent, they're announcing the Mercury Music Prize shortlist next week - anyone have any fancies for it?

PJ Harvey must be a certain for a nomination at the very least.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Buzzer asked about the Eno album. Initial thoughts are that it sounds quite forced, not very organic. I have only been told briefly about the idea/theme of the project but it's related to spoken word. And the spoken word element seems tacked on and at times quite clunky....and starts to frustrate as the underlying music is excellent...at times brilliant in fact. Would it be rude or insulting to ask if an instrumental version could be released?

The combination of Warp Records and Eno conjured up 2+2=6 in my mind...reality is that it's probably 3.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
PJ Harvey must be a certain for a nomination at the very least.

I'd be surprised if she didn't get nominated. Let England Shake is a real return to form, and she's already the darling of the Mercury panel as well. I've also seen she's currently 5/1 favourite with the bookies (some of whom are pricing it up already).

I would love it if Gold Panda made the shortlist and am rather tempted to have a sneaky few quid on him to win it if he does. But that's a big IF though. Metronomy and Wu Lyf could be interesting outsiders if they get nominated too.

Just anything but f***ing Adele. Please.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Your wish has come true.

I got my reviews mixed up - it was the 'small craft on a milk sea' that was panned by the critics but Wire magazine are streaming the entire new album here:

Exclusive: Stream Brian Enos New Album, Drums Between the Bells | Underwire | Wired.com

and very importantly for you there's this information:

....The spoken bits aren’t for everyone. They take an excellent, moody ambient album and add a different textural spin, either elevating it or sinking it depending on your tastes. (Just in case the vocals don’t suit you, the second disc of a special 2-CD version of Drums Between the Bells will contain instrumental mixes of all the tracks.)....

(I note that some of the spoken word is from Eno's accountant too. That's quite cool!)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Mercury Prize - nominations that I would throw in include Erland and the Carnival, Stornoway, Mount Kimbie or Darkstar for the dance music vote, Hurts, Laura Marling, Tricky and lastly, the Fall.

My favourite out of that lot is either Laura Marling or Tricky.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your wish has come true.

I got my reviews mixed up - it was the 'small craft on a milk sea' that was panned by the critics but Wire magazine are streaming the entire new album here:

Exclusive: Stream Brian Enos New Album, Drums Between the Bells | Underwire | Wired.com

and very importantly for you there's this information:

....The spoken bits aren’t for everyone. They take an excellent, moody ambient album and add a different textural spin, either elevating it or sinking it depending on your tastes. (Just in case the vocals don’t suit you, the second disc of a special 2-CD version of Drums Between the Bells will contain instrumental mixes of all the tracks.)....

(I note that some of the spoken word is from Eno's accountant too. That's quite cool!)

That's good, I'll pop down to Rounder for the 2 disc version.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not heard of Yuksek. Who/what are they? Should I invest in a copy? And what do you think of Brian Eno's latest? I read a review of it a few months back in Wire magazine and it was ripped apart by the reviewer.

By the way - if you are after ambient(ish) electronica then THE album to get so far this year is Thora Vukk by Robag Wruhme. It's just perfect. You can stream the entire album here: PAMPACD002 - Robag Wruhme - Thora Vukk by Pampa Records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm still trying to get into the Robag Wruhme album. Resident suggested it was better than Pantha Du Prince but I'm not feeling it.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
The new cd by The Horrors, 'Skying' is so good it's frightening (no pun intended)

Best era Furs, Simple Minds and Mondays all fused into one exceptional cd.

Shoe-in for album of the year IMO

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The new cd by The Horrors, 'Skying' is so good it's frightening (no pun intended)

Best era Furs, Simple Minds and Mondays all fused into one exceptional cd.

Shoe-in for album of the year IMO

Music for me is best when you see it live and I was so disappointed with the Horrors at the Concorde 18 months ago I can't be arsed to listen to it. He is such a bad frontman.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Live music news also pretty good this week.
The Fall have announced a date at Concorde in November.
Badly Drawn Boy to support Wedding Present at Edge of the sea festival. Same venue. 27th August.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

I've now given it about 10 listens. I'm tempted not to give it any more. 'Sunhits' makes me want to cut my own head off to stop my ears bleeding.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Listened to and bought due to this thread. Brilliant.

Nice one. I have been playing it non-stop. It's very immediate but you still find new things upon repeated listens. I'm loving the dancy wig-out at the end of The Edge at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here