Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great song - but completely ripped off the tune

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Shaun Kingston - Beautiful Girl - I Heard It Thru The Grapevine - Various.

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
Made of Stone- the Stone Roses is a rip off of

Velocity Girl- Primal Scream...

Excuse my ignorance, but how can The Stone Roses rip anything off Primal Scream?
I thought Primal Scream formed after The Roses had dispanded? insn,t Manni the basist from the Roses part of Primal Scream? I way be and more than likely wrong of course. but what do i know?

Mabey Primal Scream knocked off the Roses???

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Big Log...Robert Plant. - was written by a guy I used to work with for a girlfriend of his. When they split up, she had a thing with Robert Plant and passed on the song....who then re-wrote it and issued it as his song.

allegedly

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Excuse my ignorance, but how can The Stone Roses rip anything off Primal Scream?
I thought Primal Scream formed after The Roses had dispanded? insn,t Manni the basist from the Roses part of Primal Scream? I way be and more than likely wrong of course. but what do i know?

Mabey Primal Scream knocked off the Roses???

I saw Primal Scream play at the Escape in 1986.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I've always thought "Smells like Teen Spirit" sounded like "Wild Thing" just louder and more sped up.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
The 'riff' (if that's the word) to Pulp's Common People is a direct rip-off of a song (can't remember the name) by Spanish cheese-popsters Meccano (don't ask!...old girlfriend of Iberian origin).:glare:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Alannah Myles's Black Velvet & David Lee Roth's Tell the truth are exactly the same song.

Last Call on that album is also sounds suspiciously like Aerosmith/Walk This Way.

On the terrible final Van Halen album(3), there is a song(Once) which sounds incredibly like Red Rain from So by Peter Gabriel.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Saw Primal Scream a few times in the 80's, twice headlining small venues and once in support of Julian Cope around the time of the World Shut Your Mouth album which is i think before the single, or am i talking rubbish here. Anyway it was well before the Stone Roses and there is definately a similarity with Velocity Girl but without Gillespies intake of breath between each line.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The 'riff' (if that's the word) to Pulp's Common People is a direct rip-off of a song (can't remember the name) by Spanish cheese-popsters Meccano (don't ask!...old girlfriend of Iberian origin).:glare:

...and of course, Disco 2000 is a complete lift from Pat Benatar's Gloria.

I'm gonna listen to some Meccano. I like cheesy latin. Can I recommend Mexican Institute of Sound or even Senor Coconut?

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
In the late 70s, 'Pretty vacant' by the pistols, 'spirit walker' by the cult and a really early U2 single that I can't remember (someone help please as I'd like to download it) all shared that same riff, the one every one who got an electric learnt in those days.
Also the Motors 'Forget abouit you' had a riff that completely ripped off the grandstand theme! Great days!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Oasis - (cant remember the title but it starts 'I'm free to be whatever I am' think it's called 'Whatever')

The Ruttles - how sweet to be an idiot

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think that was Pachabel's Canon

Really? Thought it was air on a g string but I'm forever getting that and Pachabel mixed up so it's probably a dunce cap for me.

I'm exactly the same with memories of alhambra mixing that with the cavatina theme tune from the deerhunter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here