Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great scientific breakthroughs we are still waiting for

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Shoes like them ones in the wizard of oz where she goes home easily, just like that. But i wouldn't want heels, and what if they took you to her home? That would be shit wouldn't it. Ok so some magic shoes which let you go where you want to in an instant without causing any medical defects, halucinary or otherwise, not to Kansas and certainly no witches or munchkins or dwarf things.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Bozza said:
Technology and science move at a breathtaking pace. But there are still some things we've not yet conquered. Allow me to kick this off and feel free to join in with your own...

1. Engineering cup-a-soups such that the granules all disolve is still a distant dream it seems. How often, despite much vigorous stirring, do we arrive at the bottom of the drinking vessel only to find a sludge of powder. "Ah, that's why it tasted so weak", we think to ourselves around this time.

try putting in the water first,,

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
a tube of super glue that you can actually get the bloody top off :angry:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
A non-drip squeezy ketchup bottle that doesn't do nothing when you squeeze it, so you squeeze it some more, still nothing, so you squeeze it some more, still nothing, then when you squeeze it a bit more it smothers your dinner, half the table and the opposite wall.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Harveys flavoured lollies.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
British Bulldog said:
Retractable Testicles! Store safely when not using.

Trouble is,when one puts something in a safe place,one can never find said thing in the unlikely event of needing it.

Well,this one can't.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The instant disintegrate and reform on the dark side of the moon anti caravan ray gun.

The Jobsworth disconboobulator.

The cake you CAN have and eat too.

8,11,19,26,38,43.--- tomorrows lottery numbers.

The invisible defend the Albions goal power field,plus de-luxe unseeable forwards to augment the striker we've been going to get since 1903.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
desprateseagull said:
other ideas-

rustle free crisp bags, for cinemas (its called a box!)

That's already been invented over here. When you buy a bag of crisps in a Pathé cinema in Holland, the staff are required to open it for you, tip the contents into a box, and to hand you that instead of the bag.

Double the packaging, but it does cut down the sound...

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I had a really good one but now I've finished reading the others I've forgotton it :(

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I simply rest in mourning evenings with the thought of Beardonauts. They have fleshy digits on the tips of titanium forms and miniscule pincers that each have soft 70s soul in their speakers to alleviate the unharrowed horror of the fringes on my face. They'll have a crabby infestigation and deliver answers in a baker's dozen of my days.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
eastlondonseagull said:
I'll third that :wave: Diabetes needs a cure.

I seem to remember that you had to stop drinking because of retinopathy. I have been working with some endocrinologists and diabetologists recently and came accross an interesting paper in the Journal of Diabetic Medicine (abstract below). It seems like alcohol could actually be beneficial in reducing HbA1c. Some very promising stem cell results have also been published recently by the Harvard group, don't hold your breath though unless you are a mouse :down:

The effect of alcohol on blood glucose in Type 1 diabetes - metabolic modelling and integration in a decision support system

Abstract: We have recently shown, in studies with patients with Type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes, that alcohol intake at 21:00 h significantly reduced blood glucose values after 10/12 h, compared with control studies with no alcohol.

Hypothesis: We hypothesised that this was due to the following effects of alcohol: (1) alcohol metabolism increases NADH, leading to a reduction in hepatic gluconeogenesis; (2) increased glycogen phosphorylase activity depletes hepatic glycogen stores; (3) after the alcohol is metabolised, hepatic insulin sensitivity is increased, leading to the restoration of glycogen stores and reduction in blood glucose levels; and (4) consequently, after several hours, glycogen stores and insulin sensitivity return to normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here