Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government trying to ban live music

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The licensing laws are changing, chaps, making it illegal to play live music of any kind in public, without a licence.

Just got this email, and it looks pretty worrying to me...

---------------------

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/licensing

Hi

As you may or may not know the government have contrived in their
'un-wisdom' to stop our wonderful tradition of live music (and dance) in
public places (Please read under).

If you, like me, would like to change this then all you have to do is copy the link below which will allow you to put your name to a petition that is currently on the Downing Street petition site.

Let's keep live music in our ears and hearts!

Music/Licensing Laws - Official Downing Street petition.

The recently introduced changes in licensing law have produced an environment where music and dance, activities which should be valued and promoted in a civilised society, are instead damaged by inappropriate regulation.

The unlicensed provision of even one musician is a potential criminal offence (although some places are exempt, including places of public religious worship, royal palaces and moving vehicles). Max penalty:£20,000 fine and six months in prison.

The rationale is to prevent noise, crime and disorder, to ensure public safety, and the protection of children from harm. But broadcast entertainment, including sport and music, is exempt - no matter where, and no matter how powerfully amplified. In the transition to the new regime, bars with jukeboxes, CD players etc were automatically granted a licence to play recorded music; but their automatic entitlement to one or two musicians was abolished.

For the first time, private performances raising money for charity are licensable. School performances open to friends and family are licensable - they count as public performances.

Under the old regime all premises licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises were automatically allowed up to two live musicians (the 'two in a bar rule'). In December, DCMS published research confirming that about 40% of these have lost any automatic entitlement to live music as a result of the new Act.

We call on the Prime Minister to recognise this situation and take
steps to correct it. The live music/licensing e-petition questions this, and
now has nearly 2,800 signatures. It currently stands at no.19 in the list of 1,702 petitions on the Number 10 website:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/licensing

This is good, especially in just under a month - and there are five more months in which people can sign. But the petition needs to do much better to make an impression on ministers, and to encourage DCMS to implement music-friendly amendments. The petition is for everyone, not just musicians.
Please consider signing if you haven't already done so. If you have signed, please encourage friends to sign.

See the full MORI reports on this site:
http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_library/Research/research_by_dcms/live_music_exec_summary.htm

Thanks for your support!

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
and i care becauseeeeeeee?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
So I can't walk around tescos anymore singing Aretha Franklin while struming my guitar? Thats OUTRAGEOUS!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just ban bongo playing fucks from Brighton and I will be happy, They can take digereedoo playing motherfuckers with them.:angry:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
how is this going to affect anything? get rid of some buskers?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
As I see it, if you and a few mates want to head down your local park with a guitar - you'll be arrested.

May not be your cuppa, but that's wrong in my book.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Signed. Buskers etc make some places so much more atmospheric! Like walking around the lanes with a gentel tunes huming thru them as you walk! Amazing.:)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
eastlondonseagull said:
although some places are exempt, including ...... moving vehicles

Oh well, thats ok then. As long as I can still have that string quartet in my car on the way to work :rolleyes: :jester:

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
What is the impetus for this? Although I thoroughly oppose the CJB at least one could understand what the motive was....this I dont. Has there been a large outbreak of problematic busking or something?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
William Chops said:
What is the impetus for this? Although I thoroughly oppose the CJB at least one could understand what the motive was....this I dont. Has there been a large outbreak of problematic busking or something?

More government erosion of our freedoms :nono:

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
eastlondonseagull said:

Under the old regime all premises licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises were automatically allowed up to two live musicians (the 'two in a bar rule'). In December, DCMS published research confirming that about 40% of these have lost any automatic entitlement to live music as a result of the new Act.

If, of course, they'd applied for a license for live music when they applied for their new premises license then there wouldn't be a problem.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Re: Re: Government trying to ban live music

Grendel said:
If, of course, they'd applied for a license for live music when they applied for their new premises license then there wouldn't be a problem.

It's the more impromptu, off-the-cuff stuff that I fear for.

My other half's dad owns a farm, and he has a free mini festival on it each year, with a hundred or so people attending - now he may not be able to do it.

No parties in your back garden, either, as I understand it.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Re: Re: Re: Government trying to ban live music

eastlondonseagull said:
It's the more impromptu, off-the-cuff stuff that I fear for.

My other half's dad owns a farm, and he has a free mini festival on it each year, with a hundred or so people attending - now he may not be able to do it.

No parties in your back garden, either, as I understand it.

The Act became law almost a year and half ago - have you honestly noticed any significant difference?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Re: Re: Re: Re: Government trying to ban live music

Grendel said:
The Act became law almost a year and half ago - have you honestly noticed any significant difference?

Crikey, he's a criminal then. Makes a mockery of the law, then, doesn't it?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Government trying to ban live music

eastlondonseagull said:
Crikey, he's a criminal then. Makes a mockery of the law, then, doesn't it?

Quite. I think the law have got better things to be doing with their time. Incidentally, there are concessions for unamplified music so you can still go down the park with your guitar :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wanted Man (I got a touch of the Jonnny Cash)

They will send the M-Squad around.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
All part of the Governments plan to keep tabs on you and monitor you and to tax the shite out of you by means of stealth. We are now the most watched country in terms of surveillance in europe and the western world with Russia and china and malayasia only surpassing us .. I bring you New labour Paranoia :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here