Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Brown again

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I aim to please. Sorry - don't know what txtspk for that is, so went retro and typed it in full.

Pfft! If god had intended for us to type things in full, keyboards would have separate buttons for every letter of the alphabet.

gt w/ t tmz!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Let's just start with one. Gordon Brown spent several years as Chancellor ensuring the banks were deregulated, in significant part to allow his Scottish cronie Fred Goodwin to expand RBS to breaking point.
No -let's add a second one. Who threw away all the residual benefits of North Sea Oil benefits and sold our Gold at budget prices so the UK has no reserves to deal with recession?

Sorry, can you be a bit less general and indicate which deregulation of the banks you believe has got us in this mess! As far as I can tell, the credit crunch is more to do with banks traditional business of mortgage lending than their getting involved with other financial services. It was their inability to assess risk correctly that led to the sorry state of affairs.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Apparently at tonights PLP Meeting........

BBC political correspondent James Landale said MPs, crammed into the committee room, cheered and banged desks in support of the prime minister.

Labours worst election performance since World War 2, they have no County Councils whatsoever, 3rd behind UKIP with 15% of the vote in the European elections and they still applaud him - for what exactly?

The fantasy world this mob inhabit beggars belief - reminds me of good old Papa Ceausescu doing his final speech on the balcony in Bucharest in 1989 just before he was removed from power with extreme prejudice.

I would imagine Cameron is having a good laugh at all this, last thing he wants is Golden Gordon getting his marching orders until after the General Election.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apparently at tonights PLP Meeting........

BBC political correspondent James Landale said MPs, crammed into the committee room, cheered and banged desks in support of the prime minister.

Labours worst election performance since World War 2, they have no County Councils whatsoever, 3rd behind UKIP with 15% of the vote in the European elections and they still applaud him - for what exactly?

The fantasy world this mob inhabit beggars belief - reminds me of good old Papa Ceausescu doing his final speech on the balcony in Bucharest in 1989 just before he was removed from power with extreme prejudice.

I would imagine Cameron is having a good laugh at all this, last thing he wants is Golden Gordon getting his marching orders until after the General Election.

Up until the expenses furore I wanted Brown out asap but since then the best thing for the Tories is Brown staying on as PM. I think if Milliband, Purnell or Johnson is elected leader tomorrow and called an immediate election there's a very good chance that the electorate's anger would cause a hung parliament. All will die down by 2010 and Brown will just drag his party further and further towards oblivion.

I agree with you. I just cannot fathom how the MPs can't see that Brown will destroy Labour for a generation perhaps even into third place or with a very strong SNP never to run England again.

I'm relieved. Very relieved.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Up until the expenses furore I wanted Brown out asap but since then the best thing for the Tories is Brown staying on as PM. I think if Milliband, Purnell or Johnson is elected leader tomorrow and called an immediate election there's a very good chance that the electorate's anger would cause a hung parliament. All will die down by 2010 and Brown will just drag his party further and further towards oblivion.

I agree with you. I just cannot fathom how the MPs can't see that Brown will destroy Labour for a generation perhaps even into third place or with a very strong SNP never to run England again.

I'm relieved. Very relieved.

If the economy picks up and Labour actually re-organise and start governing again by the time of the general election it will probably end up with a hung parliment. Eton Dave may have longer to wait than he thought. Brown has bought valuable time and if he really uses it he can, and will, bounce back.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Labour has lost control of every County Council in England and the party came third in the EU elections. And they cheer their leader as a hero! The SNP will win Scotland. PC and the Torys are winning in Wales. Who will they represent?

I do believe if they dont go now the Labour party will be finished. The Lib Dems will come back as the true Libral Party and the Labour experiement can disapear.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
wasnt that John Major keeping us in the ERM ?
Brown sold off more than half the country's gold reserves at a 20 year low price at the time.
Granted Major made a similar mistake, but Brown did it specifically against Bank of England advice.
I would suggest that making the same mistake as Major and specifically against B of E advice makes him a stubborn fool. At least Major was acting in desperation and without recent precedent.
Remember, it's only in the land of the blind that the one eyed man should be king!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brown sold off more than half the country's gold reserves at a 20 year low price at the time.
Granted Major made a similar mistake, but Brown did it specifically against Bank of England advice.
I would suggest that making the same mistake as Major and specifically against B of E advice makes him a stubborn fool. At least Major was acting in desperation and without recent precedent.
Remember, it's only in the land of the blind that the one eyed man should be king!

Jeez... ! the ignorance !.. its all he had left to sell, the Iron Hen flogged off the Gas,Water,Electricity,Telephones,Railways et all... poor old Gordon, there was nothing left to pawn !

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
If the economy picks up and Labour actually re-organise and start governing again by the time of the general election it will probably end up with a hung parliment. Eton Dave may have longer to wait than he thought. Brown has bought valuable time and if he really uses it he can, and will, bounce back.

Sorry Brown will never bounce back...he is hated across the country.Labour will lurch from crisis to crisis....how many Brown bouncebacks have we had.Tories to win 45% at election Lib Dems 25% and Labour under 15% and less than 100mps

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Jeez... ! the ignorance !.. its all he had left to sell, the Iron Hen flogged off the Gas,Water,Electricity,Telephones,Railways et all... poor old Gordon, there was nothing left to pawn !

Why did he need to pawn anything? He inherited a country on the up, thanks to some sterling work from Ken Clarke et al.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here