Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Brown again

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The booing by D-Day veterans was really shocking when they showed it on the news earlier. What an embarrassment :nono:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
The economy is bust. Major corporate collapses all over the place, but its the MPs greed in their expenses which will bring down the Government!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Since Gordon Brown took over as PM a lot of things have hit the fan - global financial melt down and MP's expenses for a start. Gordon Brown is a very competant and genuine person, I think - but very unlucky.
....................and who needs an unlucky Prime Minister? It may not be fair, but he has to go.

I would say the complete opposite, Gordon Brown has been very lucky -when he was chancellor.

His catchprase then was prudence, but where are the signs of the benefits from that prudence when we actually need it, where are the countries reserves that have been kept safe for a rainy day?

He over taxed people by stealth, he spent beyond his means, he sold of the gold reserves at rock bottom prices - this is all money we could do with now to pay for the ecoomy stimulating measures required it kick start it again, but it is not there anymore because of his prudence.

Signing pfi contracts which mean that instead of getting say a new airport built for £8million, the tax paywer ends up paying £30million over 25 years, signing too many of them ties the Governments hands for public spending long term as they have to keep repaying this money through taxes raised, but the reason Brown was keen on signing loads of these was simple, good headlines - all spin.

He was very lucky during the last world ressession, as the Government coffers were filled from the sale of the 3G licenses to the mobile phone companies.

The trouble was he believed his parties own spin, that there was an end to boom and bust, that is why they appear not to have planned for such an occasion and that is why the IMF says we are the worst placed western economy when it comes to surviving and recovering from this ressession

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is anyone watching Mandelson on the Andrew Marr show? He really is a goon.

The sooner this government is ousted the better

Sorry, you can't say that... do you not remember Thatcher eating babies in the 80s? Cameron is just the same.... !!! :annoyed: :rolleyes:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I would say the complete opposite, Gordon Brown has been very lucky -when he was chancellor.

His catchprase then was prudence, but where are the signs of the benefits from that prudence when we actually need it, where are the countries reserves that have been kept safe for a rainy day?

He over taxed people by stealth, he spent beyond his means, he sold of the gold reserves at rock bottom prices - this is all money we could do with now to pay for the ecoomy stimulating measures required it kick start it again, but it is not there anymore because of his prudence.

Signing pfi contracts which mean that instead of getting say a new airport built for £8million, the tax paywer ends up paying £30million over 25 years, signing too many of them ties the Governments hands for public spending long term as they have to keep repaying this money through taxes raised, but the reason Brown was keen on signing loads of these was simple, good headlines - all spin.

He was very lucky during the last world ressession, as the Government coffers were filled from the sale of the 3G licenses to the mobile phone companies.

Not forgetting the PPP mess on the tube, which is ironically going to lead to a strike this week. While people either blamed Ken or Boris, the mess came from No.11 forcing it on TFL despite the reservations of all the management at the time, including those Ken recruited from America who couldn't be seen as simply agreeing with him for the sake of Old Labour values.

You could also argue that Thatcher was lucky for her recession in the '80s that they had the North Sea Oil revenues to weather the storms of the turmoil at the time.

I agree with him believing his own spin, but it seemed many were caught in that bubble. What goes up must come down, everything just can't keep on growing and growing...

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
On a more practical note, the Betfair market on Gordon Brown's departure as Labour leader is approaching the end of a three-month cutoff on June 30th.

What's interesting about this is that the rules say the market will be settled on the date when Brown "officially ceases to be leader of the Labour party." So do any political hacks know whether this is the moment if/when he resigns or when they actually get around to voting in a replacement.

At various times of the day, particularly after a bad news story for Brown, there are fair chunks of money looking to back him going before the end of June at odds between 2.5 and 3.5. If - and it's a big if - he will remain the official leader even after resigning as PM, until they have convened an electoral college, voted, counted them all up, done all the back-room deals etc etc. then I'm guessing that's close to being free money asking to find a new home. It's the 7th of June already, after all.

I know there's never such a thing as free money on Betfair, but even so...

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
On a more practical note, the Betfair market on Gordon Brown's departure as Labour leader is approaching the end of a three-month cutoff on June 30th.

What's interesting about this is that the rules say the market will be settled on the date when Brown "officially ceases to be leader of the Labour party." So do any political hacks know whether this is the moment if/when he resigns or when they actually get around to voting in a replacement.

I thought he goes as Labour leader first, then PM. As I understand, that's what happened with Blair. The last act Blair did was resign as PM, but Brown had already become Labour leader by then.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tories have policies. Don't listen to Gordon the Gopher when he says they haven't

If he wants to hear the Tories policies all he has to do is call an Election. Why are they going to spell out their policies now? Gordo would only nick em.

And if we haven't heard that response a million times before. If you're referring to inheritance tax, they didn't nick a tory policy just refined the existing one, ie the threshold was doubled for a married couple which was something you could always have done if you had used a decent accountant. At the end of the day, how many of the electorate own estates worth over £600,000.

Since Gordon Brown took over as PM a lot of things have hit the fan - global financial melt down and MP's expenses for a start. Gordon Brown is a very competant and genuine person, I think - but very unlucky.
....................and who needs an unlucky Prime Minister? It may not be fair, but he has to go.

I am inclined to agree. I think amongst politicians, he is probably one with th highest principles (take a look at the expense saga, not much on him) but his failings are his lack of leadership ability. That is what will cost the labour party the next election. They will get rid of him and they will then have a better chance of at least competing at the next election. With Brown, they aren't even at the races

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gordon Brown now needs to stand down before he ends up like John Smith or Robin Cook. The man is an intellectual heavyweight, and, above that, a decent human being with a young family. In the end he doesn't need to just stand there and be the whipping boy for this most dysfunctional of nations. f*** 'em Gordon. You've done your bit. Stand down and let's see what the Tories can do.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ahhh if only Robin Cook was still around now, we could do with his experience, intelligence and competence!

Thats the kind of self-delusion that makes Man Utd supporters claim that Gary Pallister was good enough for England or Ann Widdicombe would be a good leader.

Everyone outside that type of "Tribal bubble" just think OMG WTF!

The cleverest Labour MP's are Tony Ben and Frank Field.

the cleverest Tories are John Redwood and David willets.

Thats not saying those four are electrally palatable either.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
When people say Gordon Brown is an idiot he is probably more intelligent than everyone who posts on here...

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Thats the kind of self-delusion that makes Man Utd supporters claim that Gary Pallister was good enough for England or Ann Widdicombe would be a good leader.

Everyone outside that type of "Tribal bubble" just think OMG WTF!

The cleverest Labour MP's are Tony Ben and Frank Field.

the cleverest Tories are John Redwood and David willets.

Thats not saying those four are electrally palatable either.

I take your point but they could certainly do with some more heavyweights. I'm quite a fan of Milburn, although I'm sure Brown hates him.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You could substitute Micky Adams for Gordon Brown in that paragraph. :lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Leader of a Wolfpack

This man is a ****. The only thing that will make this man quit, is a bullet between the eyes, erm I mean eye

He thinks he is right and he has the quality to be Top Dog, and all the other Dogs will have to bark to his tune. Thank God for democracy!

Dog shit, aaaaarghhh !!!!!

No one single person should run the club, unless he is a Lizard. Then it is Lizard shit. Hypocrits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here