Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google Earth - how SAD is this ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK, so it was wall-to-wall SOAPS on the tellybox last night, so I thought I'd have a little peruse of Google Earth for a bit. This (inevitably) led me to zooming in and searching over Birmingham to have a squint at Villa Park of course. In the process of which, I also stumbled across the Bescott, St Andrews, and Molineux. "Ohh" I thought. "I think I'll stick a pinmark in and label each ground in the area". So I did. Then things got silly. I went to London, and pinmarked every London football ground. Then I worked my way round from Essex through Kent, along the South coast moving west all the way along to Swansea. Before I knew it I was scouring the Yorkshire dales for the Galpharm, trawling Cheshire for Gresty Road, and on it went. Two hours later, and I'd ended up doing about 60. I'm going back to do some more tonight. This task MUST be completed.
Some FASCINATING points of order:

1. Wembley is half built.
2. There is an American Football match taking place at the Keepmoat Stadium.
3. The pitch at Elland Road is being re-laid.
4. There is some kind of concert taking place at the Madejski, with a maHOOsive stage on the pitch.
5. A match is in progress at Ashton Gate. Bristol are on the attack.
6. Eastlands is built, but Maine Road is still there intact.
7. Edgeley Park is REALLY close to Man U / Man City.
8. The Valley and The New Den should really be visible on the titles for Eastenders. I'm going to look out next time.

Once I've done the rest of England, I've decided I'm going continental to find the ELITE stadiums of Europe. I can't help it, I find it COMPELLING.
And I know for a FACT that at least a dozen of you are going to check my points of order today. Don't try to deny it.

Google Earth :bowdown:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's the closest we can come to being in a satellite and checking stuff out. Well good.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Not in the least bit sad, Easy. Howsabout pin-marking recommended pubs & bars for the thirsty footie supporter whilst your at it (eg during Emmerdale)? You KNOW it makes sense! :thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Not sad doing it. Just sad telling everyone that you have!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not in the least bit sad, Easy. Howsabout pin-marking recommended pubs & bars for the thirsty footie supporter whilst your at it (eg during Emmerdale)? You KNOW it makes sense! :thumbsup:

Not a bad idea, but not all of them have their businesses listed, and its difficult to ascertain the recommended ones or the decent ones just from looking at their roofs. Nope, I'll just stick to stadium-spotting for now.

I also didn't realise how CLOSE the Emirates is to Highbury (on Google Earth, the Emirates is still under construction). You could quite literally gob on it from the Clock End, should the fancy take you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was trying to work out the timeline. The Emirates opened July 2006, the new Wembley opened March 2007. Both of these are under construction with the stands up but no pitch. I reckon the pictures must be from around 2005.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
you can make the maps you make/pin public, innit?
finish it up easy and make it nice and comprehensive and it'll be the most popular map on google! :)

you'll be famous, or something.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester

it's not really though, not when you're here.

i was looking at Stanley Park yesterday on Googlemap and the 2 grounds there are stupidly close, why they don't ground share i'll never know ...

and if you look at the land Liverpool plan on building the new ground on, I'm not sure how they got permisssion to build soemthing like that on a public park.

an everton fan was telling me how they applied to re route a road around Goodison slightly into the park to redevelop the ground - the council rejected the plan, yet when liverpool FC apply to take a huge piece of park, the council approve.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I reckon once you have them all pinned you should do a route map between them all to work out how long it would take to walk to every stadium in the country (can you do that on Google earth because you can on Google maps)

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
I think someone needs a girlfriend!

"A match is in progress at Ashton Gate. Bristol are on the attack"

Thats a joke right ? or could you see that ? I have never used Google Earth.
Thats quite impressive if thats true.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
This is bestest.

dundee.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think someone needs a girlfriend!

"A match is in progress at Ashton Gate. Bristol are on the attack"

Thats a joke right ? or could you see that ? I have never used Google Earth.
Thats quite impressive if thats true.

No joke. Check it yourself (Google Earth is free to download).
I can't help it. I find Google Earth ENDLESSLY fascinating, from looking around my own area, tracking back on holidays I've been on, searching out famous landmarks, and trawling round looking for and identifying stadiums. Its one of the BESTEST things on the interweb.

I have an understanding wife. It "keeps me quiet".

Yoda

English & European
OK, so it was wall-to-wall SOAPS on the tellybox last night, so I thought I'd have a little peruse of Google Earth for a bit. This (inevitably) led me to zooming in and searching over Birmingham to have a squint at Villa Park of course. In the process of which, I also stumbled across the Bescott, St Andrews, and Molineux. "Ohh" I thought. "I think I'll stick a pinmark in and label each ground in the area". So I did. Then things got silly. I went to London, and pinmarked every London football ground. Then I worked my way round from Essex through Kent, along the South coast moving west all the way along to Swansea. Before I knew it I was scouring the Yorkshire dales for the Galpharm, trawling Cheshire for Gresty Road, and on it went. Two hours later, and I'd ended up doing about 60. I'm going back to do some more tonight. This task MUST be completed.
Some FASCINATING points of order:

1. Wembley is half built.
2. There is an American Football match taking place at the Keepmoat Stadium.
3. The pitch at Elland Road is being re-laid.
4. There is some kind of concert taking place at the Madejski, with a maHOOsive stage on the pitch.
5. A match is in progress at Ashton Gate. Bristol are on the attack.
6. Eastlands is built, but Maine Road is still there intact.
8. The Valley and The New Den should really be visible on the titles for Eastenders. I'm going to look out next time.

Once I've done the rest of England, I've decided I'm going continental to find the ELITE stadiums of Europe. I can't help it, I find it COMPELLING.
And I know for a FACT that at least a dozen of you are going to check my points of order today. Don't try to deny it.

Google Earth :bowdown:

There used to be a file on Google Earth Hacks a while back that had nearly all of them around the world done, don't think it's on there anymore.

A couple of years ago I used 192.com at a Gooner friends suggestion to view the Emirates. Weirdly enough it wasn't visible from far out, and still appeared as waste land until you got to max zoom when it appeard, and here is the impressive bit, you could see a guy with a mower cutting the pitch!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
A couple of years ago I used 192.com at a Gooner friends suggestion to view the Emirates. Weirdly enough it wasn't visible from far out, and still appeared as waste land until you got to max zoom when it appeard, and here is the impressive bit, you could see a guy with a mower cutting the pitch!

The far out images are satellite, the closer ones are taken from a plane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here