Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goody - About to become the new Princess Diana?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Several things irritate me about this saga.

Someone dying young of cancer is sad, yes, although to be brutally honest, I must admit it won't affect me in the slightest. Goody was supposed to be worth millions before all this happened- so how in the hell would it help her boys to raise their future fortune from, say, seven million to ten? What do a couple of young kids do with that sort of money? And would it make a blind bit of difference to them whether they had masses of cash, or merely a shedload? Most of us manage to grow up OK without that sort of money (even those unfortunate enough to lose a parent young), so all this "it's for my boys" business grates with me somewhat.

Secondly, what makes ordinary people feel the need to write or email The Sun to communicate their feelings on the subject to Goody? As per the first post, the tabloid rags are full of messages from the likes of Charmaine in Bury, stating "u r da best mum eva & wil B missed loads by da ppl of britain" etc. Does it make these people feel better about themselves or something? Do they get some kind of personal warm glow by sharing their kind hearted (but pointless) sentiments with the world? It is the worst kind of Diana Syndrome: people feeling they have to publicly demonstrate some kind of grief about someone they've never met or the world will judge them negatively.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Several things irritate me about this saga.

Someone dying young of cancer is sad, yes, although to be brutally honest, I must admit it won't affect me in the slightest. Goody was supposed to be worth millions before all this happened- so how in the hell would it help her boys to raise their future fortune from, say, seven million to ten? What do a couple of young kids do with that sort of money? And would it make a blind bit of difference to them whether they had masses of cash, or merely a shedload? Most of us manage to grow up OK without that sort of money (even those unfortunate enough to lose a parent young), so all this "it's for my boys" business grates with me somewhat.

Secondly, what makes ordinary people feel the need to write or email The Sun to communicate their feelings on the subject to Goody? As per the first post, the tabloid rags are full of messages from the likes of Charmaine in Bury, stating "u r da best mum eva & wil B missed loads by da ppl of britain" etc. Does it make these people feel better about themselves or something? Do they get some kind of personal warm glow by sharing their kind hearted (but pointless) sentiments with the world? It is the worst kind of Diana Syndrome: people feeling they have to publicly demonstrate some kind of grief about someone they've never met or the world will judge them negatively.

Nail on head.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some comments from people on the Times Online site :rolleyes:

Rarely has any woman in the limelight had such a profound effect on the public in general, the last I can think of was Princess Diana> What I wouldn't give to turn the clock back for Jade and her loved ones and save a precious young life that has touched so many people. May she have an easy passage
Dee Fisher, Poole, UK

Your are an insperation to alot of people from all over the GLOBE
gary, belfast, antrim

Jade, I have laughed both with you and at you (at times), you have made me smile with your completely innocent personality. You are now an inspiration to me and probably thousands of other women out there. You have seriously touched my life, and I am praying for a miracle to happen. God Bless you x
Claire Batchelor, Bristol, Avon

dear jade you are such a brave lady i think your amazing heaven will be a happier place when your there. you will always be remembered as our essex heroine, when i see a bright shiney star up in the sky i will think of u god bless you jade and your family--xx bailey wilson, essex, england

Good god, what is the world coming to, perhaps it's unfair to mock people for wishing the girl well, but calling her an inspiration/an Essex heroine is rather strong IMHO.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As per the first post, the tabloid rags are full of messages from the likes of Charmaine in Bury, stating "u r da best mum eva & wil B missed loads by da ppl of britain" etc. Does it make these people feel better about themselves or something? Do they get some kind of personal warm glow by sharing their kind hearted (but pointless) sentiments with the world? It is the worst kind of Diana Syndrome: people feeling they have to publicly demonstrate some kind of grief about someone they've never met or the world will judge them negatively.
I notice you didn't express this opinion on the 'Get well McNulty' thread. There are many threads on this board of a similar nature, next time I see one I expect to see you express your distain at goodwill messages from strangers.
I suspect your opinion has more to do with txt speak and class of person sending the message rather than the sentiment. In fact, alot of the negative opinion about Jade Goody seems to be because she's a 'chav' who has made a bit of money.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Someone dying young of cancer is sad, yes, although to be brutally honest, I must admit it won't affect me in the slightest.

If it is'nt going to affect you in the slightest edna then what are you doing spending a sunday afternoon scanning the internet for jade goodie stories?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I think it will be forgotten about pretty soon, but if they want to go all the way and giver her a state funeral, make it a weekday so we all get a day off.

:jester:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
This has been said many times on this thread, but I am sick of hearing about the woman! Im sure there are thousands of people in this country dying of cancer (not sure of the exact figures) and we dont hear about them in every tabloid newspaper do we!

If it was a famous celebrity then I could understand the level of media coverage, but what is she famous for? Oh yeah, she racially abused a very talented Indian actress on reallity T.V. and was made to look like a complete mug.

The media do like to sensationalse things in this country dont they.:nono:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
... what makes ordinary people feel the need to write or email The Sun to communicate their feelings on the subject to Goody? ... It is the worst kind of Diana Syndrome: people feeling they have to publicly demonstrate some kind of grief about someone they've never met or the world will judge them negatively.
What indeed, Edna! The difference is that Diana - yes, I know, toff totty, Mother Teresa lookalike (but Diana moisturised) - genuinely did a lot of good in working to raise awareness and compassion for such causes as poor kids, Aids and landmine victims.

As far as I'm aware - and I'm open to correction here - Ms Goody distinguished herself solely by making towering stupidity into an artform, and lining her own pockets at every turn. But how those tabloid readers loved identifying with her.

As for that last-minute baptism, had she instead switched to Catholicism, Pope Ratzinger might even have had her lined up as a his next saint.

Oct 25, 2003
Of course if you don't like the Goody coverage change the channel or buy a different paper or ignore the magazine. There are plenty of ways to avoid her and sadly for her and her family she won't be around much longer.

correct

i'm pretty oblivious to this story, can't say it affects me emotionally whatsoever

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
I have had a T shirt produced with Jade's photo on it, and I will wear it on the day of her funeral to show my respects.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's only just started. People will be running the London Marathon for years to come in Jade Goody masks for her foundation. Max Clifford will see to it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I notice you didn't express this opinion on the 'Get well McNulty' thread. There are many threads on this board of a similar nature, next time I see one I expect to see you express your distain at goodwill messages from strangers.
I suspect your opinion has more to do with txt speak and class of person sending the message rather than the sentiment. In fact, alot of the negative opinion about Jade Goody seems to be because she's a 'chav' who has made a bit of money.

Txt spk, my arse. I am an Albion fan therefore have a reasonable and direct interest in McNulty's health. I don't wish ill on GOody, FFS, but it does strike me as faintly ghoulish to see the reactions of some people to her (many of whom probably condemned her a couple of years back for the whole Shilpa Shetty business).

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
I am so glad my prayers have been answered and brave Jade has survived another day, although I am keen too wear my T shirt in the office to show the other girls so I hope she doesn't delay me to long. I'm on hte Sun text service so that as soon as Jade goes I can pitch a tent outside the cemetry and ensure I get to the funaral, I'm youre NUMBER 1 FAN BABY AND DONT YOU FORGET IT. I think it's apallling that Jack has to still wear his tag an all. He was in Top Shop on Saturday trying to get a refund on his wedding suit and his tag made all the alarms go off, DON"T YOU BASTARDS AT TOP SHOP HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR WHAT JACK IS GOING THRU??

My world is falling apart even more after hearing that Kerry is taking that weasel Mark back. He'll spend all you're money darlin' don't do it xx. I don't think things can get any worse. I've organised an appeal at teh social club to help you buy some groceries as it says in the Star that your totally skint. So far we have 300 B&H (Lite, as I no you have children and am a RESPONSIBLE mother), four cans of Whiskas and some 3 liter bottles of White Lightning. We love you Kerry xx

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
I am so glad my prayers have been answered and brave Jade has survived another day, although I am keen too wear my T shirt in the office to show the other girls so I hope she doesn't delay me to long. I'm on hte Sun text service so that as soon as Jade goes I can pitch a tent outside the cemetry and ensure I get to the funaral, I'm youre NUMBER 1 FAN BABY AND DONT YOU FORGET IT. I think it's apallling that Jack has to still wear his tag an all. He was in Top Shop on Saturday trying to get a refund on his wedding suit and his tag made all the alarms go off, DON"T YOU BASTARDS AT TOP SHOP HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR WHAT JACK IS GOING THRU??

My world is falling apart even more after hearing that Kerry is taking that weasel Mark back. He'll spend all you're money darlin' don't do it xx. I don't think things can get any worse. I've organised an appeal at teh social club to help you buy some groceries as it says in the Star that your totally skint. So far we have 300 B&H (Lite, as I no you have children and am a RESPONSIBLE mother), four cans of Whiskas and some 3 liter bottles of White Lightning. We love you Kerry xx

:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I would be very much surprised, Clifford don't do nothing for no one unless there is something in it for him.

Lord knows that I have little sympathy for Max Clifford and the way he earns a living but that's an unwarranted slur. He's pretty well known for doing pro bono work when the mood takes him and has done a lot of work for the NHS and various children's charities (he has an ill daughter).

He's a scoundrel but he's not a totally venal scoundrel.

All the evidence is in the 200 plus messages beneath this News of the World story of the dying 'star's' imminent demise. Positively Chavtastic.

Does this suggest there is now some permanent, irresistible compulsion among previously unemotional Brits to prostrate themselves in hysterical public grief over someone they never knew?

Some yes, some no.
It's a choice you can take if you want to.

For as much as you dislike the 'hype' over this impending death, the complaining over it is just as distasteful.

If ya don't like her or care about the whole affair - ignore it and carry on with your own life, eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here