Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye Russell Slade

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Slade is not up to it. Lets face it he was 3rd choice ( at best ) and he did his best but his best is not good enough. Time to look again.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slade is not up to it. Lets face it he was 3rd choice ( at best ) and he did his best but his best is not good enough. Time to look again.

Not very often I agree with US but on this occassion he is right he has not improved the players, the attitude, dedication or visibly the tactics employed. Could this be due to still keeping White and Booker on the pay roll and him be restricted in what he can do. If so he should have sorted that before accepting the job so that is not an excuse for his failure to improve the situation.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Here's what League 1 would look like if the only games that counted were those played since Russell Slade took over:-

Team Played Points

Peterborough 8 22
Leeds United 9 21
Millwall 10 21
Leyton Orient 9 19
Southend 9 18
Tranmere 9 17
Swindon Town 10 15
Bristol Rovers 9 14
Scunthorpe 8 14
MK Dons 9 13
Leicester City 8 12
Huddersfield 9 12
Yeovil Town 8 12
Crewe 10 11
Cheltenham 9 11
Colchester 9 11
Walsall 9 9
Carlisle 9 8
Hartlepool 8 7
Brighton 9 7
Northampton 8 5
Stockport 8 5
Oldham 8 3
Hereford 10 3

If only that was the real table!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Yeah, bloody Slade. I reckon he TOLD our back 4, keeper & so-called midfield to: let them run at us immediately after H/T; pick their arses whilst the opposition players moved into dangerous positions;stand off 'em til they had played a dangerous ball into our penalty area; & watch the ball end up in the back of our net 3 times before stopping the suicidal policy. :glare:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
more like what did Danny Wilson say? that's who we need, someone who knows what's needed in midfielder and how vital it is to have a leader on the pitch.

nailed in one mate
and its not a case of us not wanting RS to stay I'm afraid its a case of will he want to
if he does stay cue a massive clear out

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How the hell the coaching staff can survive two managerial sackings is beyond me.

It's the coaching that seems to be the problem, manager sets out game plan, coaching staff tell the players how to mark, tackle and not be useless wankers.

they need to get rid I'm afraid, not time for all of this jobs for the boys culture any more..

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Give Butters

The job in the summer with someone who actually cares about the job as his assistant , perhaps Nicky Forster.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

Let's get real, as you say yourself, we couldn't get anyone better than Slade while we still had a chance of staying in League 1. Why do you think we will find someone better in League 2?

A major reason for our current predicament is that as a club we chop and change managers every few months. OK, Slade hasn't proved to be the saviour but I think he's as well placed as anyone to get us back up again next year. The last thing we need now is another manager who needs time to get to know the players.......

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
i don't think slade has improved us much, not really. its still a mess. wilson beat slade hands down yesterday, his team come out for the second half and blew us away. whatever changes danny made they worked. at 3.1 down slade dismantles the diamond to try and stem the tide... but we then couldn't get cox on the ball as he was stuck out wide. coxy had been our most dangerous player in the first half. so we're then playing 4 4 2 with a central midfield of dicker and el abd. that would have been fine if we were 3.1 up not 3.1 down. crap substitutions.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
Let's get real, as you say yourself, we couldn't get anyone better than Slade while we still had a chance of staying in League 1. Why do you think we will find someone better in League 2?

A major reason for our current predicament is that as a club we chop and change managers every few months. OK, Slade hasn't proved to be the saviour but I think he's as well placed as anyone to get us back up again next year. The last thing we need now is another manager who needs time to get to know the players.......

ok, what has he proved to you in the last few games since he has been here that he is the man for the job??

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The job in the summer with someone who actually cares about the job as his assistant , perhaps Nicky Forster.

The more I think of it the better it sounds anything to break up the Booker White combo.

I suggested on another thread about giving a recently retired player the job like Mike Bamber did with Mullery but was thinking Premiership didnt think about Butters who has had ample experience at top and bottom levels.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
ok, what has he proved to you in the last few games since he has been here that he is the man for the job??

On balance, I've seen and heard enough from him to think that he has a game plan which, when properly applied by the players is effective. One or two posters have said that he was out-manoevred by Danny Wilson, but in fact, what happened is that our players capitulated. OK, you can say that it's a manager's job to ensure that his players do not capitulate, but sadly this is a failing team with limited backbone that he inherited.

As I said in my previous post, we've got to be rational about the managerial decision. Slade's win ratio is only mediocre, but realistically, who else that we could have got would have done better in the circumstances? Fact is we are not going to have a queue of top notch managers wanting to manage us in League 2. IMHO, we could do a lot worse than give the job to Slade, get rid of Booker and White and bring in some more effective coaches.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why the RUDDY hell did he change the formation and team which was playing well in the firts half JUST because Kuipers COCKED up for two goals.

Individual errors do not warrant a change of tactics.

Certainly not bringing El Abd on...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Wonder if Mr McGhee would still like to manage the first Albion team at Falmer?

Surely we are a better prospect even now than Motherwell?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wonder if Mr McGhee would still like to manage the first Albion team at Falmer?

Surely we are a better prospect even now than Motherwell?

No.

Also as soon as they can rid of Burley, McGhee is going to manage Scotland for a decade. Our MASSIVE loss. Where have we gone in 30 months since McGhee was sacked ?.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Why the RUDDY hell did he change the formation and team which was playing well in the firts half JUST because Kuipers COCKED up for two goals.

Individual errors do not warrant a change of tactics.

Certainly not bringing El Abd on...

Agree that bringing El Abd on was a strange decision. But the reversal in scoreline and the fact that Swindon were p*ssing over us by this point probably did warrant a change in tactics. To be honest, if he'd just kept it as it was I'm sure quite a few on here would be criticising him for reacting too slowly!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
İbrahim Tatlıses;2892468 said:
Should have given Adams until the end of the season.

...and to be fair, if we did, we would probably be staying up.

Its looking like that. Adams may have kept us up who knows, Slade is definately taking us down and our form has not improved if anything got worse. They guy sounds like a nice bloke and talks a good game but its all hot air as the facts are we have lost 6 of his 9 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here