Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good to see Gus knows how to control his players

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Poyet said himself that every player that is of worth does this from time to time - Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Cantona are the first I'm thinking of - Barnes plays a position where he's harassing, tracking, holding, defending and scoring. The mind is tense, focused, alive. The are times the brain doesnt work quite as well as it should - BANG - a launch for the ball, timed badly both feet off the floor = 3 game ban and (following our shit defence on Saturday), 3 points. But people want him hanged.

Barnes was a complete idiot for getting sent off unnecessarily and probably costing us 3 points. Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes and the rest are equally complete idiots when they get themselves sent off in similar circumstances.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barnes was a complete idiot for getting sent off unnecessarily and probably costing us 3 points. Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes and the rest are equally complete idiots when they get themselves sent off in similar circumstances.

So to sum up, everyone's a complete idiot.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What an absolute joke.

It's the first red card this season, but it's not the first time he's retaliated like a spoilt brat.

He's not shown any sign of improvement of his temper, it doesn't add anything to his game,he just plays like he's got a chip on his shoulder, and has been absolute pony for 70% of the season so far.

But it's ok, he's cost us a game of football with his petulance, but Poyet's got this one covered. "You just hope it doesn't happen too often" - well great Gus, that's once a season then, costing us three points at a time, certainly enough to be the difference between promotion and not.

Meanwhile, Hoskins scores against Newcastle and impresses in the reserves. His reward? About 10 minutes football in the 6 or so games we've had since then.

Poyet's lost it. Absolute man management shambles. LuaLua? Barely gets a look in despite playing really well recently. Barnes? 3 match ban, but you know he'll be straight back in because that's the sort of ridiculous decision that we've come to expect from a manager who is now looking out of his depth.

You have a point, I think with what you've said about Gus's reaction, it's not like he's talking about a tough tackling defender who has mistimed one, this was an act of pathetic petulance & I would expect the manager to take a harder line.

You then susequently spoil it with the usual anti Barnes, anti Poyet tripe. He has not been "pony for 70% of the season," Gus does not look "out of his depth."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Barnes is banned for 3 games. He is being punished. He has nothing to apologise to the fans for. You pay to watch football, and the drama that goes with it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Barnes scores and assists his fair share of goals. He may not be skillful or flamboyant but he tracks back to defend. Wins freekicks at key moments, scores goals and sets up goals. I believe Vicente had his best moments when Barnes was playing with him. And we have already seen him combine with Ulloa. He didn't have a large price tag and isn't a star. I guess this is why he is vilified.

That, and the fact there are far, far better players than Ash waiting, waiting and waiting to play... on the bench Sat, we had CMS and Hoskins (both far better strikers than the beloved Ash), and Vicente and LuaLua (both far better midfielders). I'm sick of watching a reasonably good player play when we have far better players sitting on their ar$e. And to top it all, Barnes behaves like a petulant child again, and this time gets himself sent off, almost certainly costing us the game. Gus to blame. We should be in the top 6 with our playing staff, but Gus insists on playing the wrong formation and wrong players. Time to play 2 up top, and Barnes can wait to play from here to the end of the season. Then he might actually learn his lesson.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This.
The second goal conceded was worse than barnes red imho. It was shocking!

How can a petulant childish sending off be better than a genuine footballing error!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So he didn't lose us the 3 points in any way....

We were never winning

You are talking sh1t. We were one down with a good chance to at least get a draw. Barnes behaves like a spoilt brat (again) and this time we are down to 10 men, thereby greatly reducing our chances of getting a point or 3 out of the game. I hope that is clear enough for you to understand?

- - - Updated - - -

After 83 competitive games in which we have not come from behind to win (22 games last season in which we conceded first, no wins; 3 games in which we scored first but lost (meaning we went behind and failed to come back and win in those three, too); 15 games this season we've conceded first and lost failed to win. So at least 40 of 83 games prior to saturday we were behind at some point and failed to turn it around and win. I don't have any "scored first, went behind, but drew" numbers.

We haven't ever beaten sheffield wednesday at hillborough.

Believing we could turn it around isn't unreasonable, it is quite optimistic, but not unreasonable (it is football, after all). But neither is it unreasonable to think that we would have lost even with 11 men, either, given we've failed to do so in such circumstances in over a season and a half.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. How convenient you didn't have the draw from losing stats!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If only. The Barnes/Poyet haters are loving this week, they get to say all things wrong with BAHA. If we do well the next 3 games it will be solely because Barnes isn't playing, if we don't they'll attack Poyet. Haters gotta hate.
The OP just moans about everything, which leads to a terrible lack of balance.

Poyet said himself that every player that is of worth does this from time to time - Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Cantona are the first I'm thinking of - Barnes plays a position where he's harassing, tracking, holding, defending and scoring. The mind is tense, focused, alive. The are times the brain doesnt work quite as well as it should - BANG - a launch for the ball, timed badly both feet off the floor = 3 game ban and (following our shit defence on Saturday), 3 points. But people want him hanged. It's not eastenders where everything is black and white and shouted at you, you protect your players, especially the best ones.

The truth is Barnes wasnt the reason for the loss, it was the defence. But carry on, you seem to enjoy it.

Barnes is not and never will be anywhere near to being as good as the players you mention. He is a reasonably good player at our level, and we have far better players than him waiting for their chance. Other than that, carry on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You are talking sh1t. We were one down with a good chance to at least get a draw. Barnes behaves like a spoilt brat (again) and this time we are down to 10 men, thereby greatly reducing our chances of getting a point or 3 out of the game. I hope that is clear enough for you to understand?

Oh for GOODNESS SAKE. Really? You're really bouncing this over that quote?

Yes he made it BLOODY DIFFICULT and he was STUPID and it made it pretty much impossible to win. But he didnt COST US the 3 points! If we we're 1-0 up and he fouled someone in the box and they scored the pen then YES, he cost us the 3 points.

I'm not defending him. He f***ed up really badly and his actions did nothing to help us. But as YOU say YOURSELF he GREATLY REDUCED OUR CHANCES. HE didn't "cost" us the 3 points.

So before you claim I'm talking shit I suggest you read where I agreed that Barnes did infact make it ridiculously hard to win and explained that my point was clearly based on the direct statement that his sending off alone COST us 3 points (3 points we never had in the first place).

But great bounce nonetheless.

I hope that is clear enough for you to understand?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh for GOODNESS SAKE. Really? You're really bouncing this over that quote?

Yes he made it BLOODY DIFFICULT and he was STUPID and it made it pretty much impossible to win. But he didnt COST US the 3 points! If we we're 1-0 up and he fouled someone in the box and they scored the pen then YES, he cost us the 3 points.

I'm not defending him. He f***ed up really badly and his actions did nothing to help us. But as YOU say YOURSELF he GREATLY REDUCED OUR CHANCES. hE DIDNT cost us.

So before you claim I'm talking shit I suggest you read where I agreed that Barnes did infact make it ridiculously hard to win and explained that my point was clearly based on the direct statement that his sending off alone COST us 3 points (3 points we never had in the first place).

I hope that is clear enough for you to understand?

It seems we agree. But your point is so pedantic ('COST') you deserved to be picked-up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It seems we agree. But your point is so pedantic ('COST') you deserved to be picked-up.

It's not pedantry though. It's about people constantly trying to make Barnes look worse than he is.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Well no. Someone makes a blanket statement that he cost (the word may have been 'lost') us the 3 points. I said he didn't.

If we were winning when it happened I wouldn't have disputed it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not pedantry though. It's about people constantly trying to make Barnes look worse than he is.

Exactly. If bridcutt had been sent off for two yellows when 1-0 down would people be saying he lost us the 3 points? I very much doubt it.

It was because it was Barnes and because of the manner of the red (Which I agree was SO stupid).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Lies, damn lies, and statistics. How convenient you didn't have the draw from losing stats!

Since when have we been awarded 3 points for a draw? If you're accusing Barnes of costing us three points, draws are not relevant. It has nothing to do with convenience and everything to do with the conversation at hand.

If you want draws:
2011/12
Concede first, draw: 7 times (conceded first 20 times after doncaster)

2012/13
Concede first, draw: 6 times (conceded first 15 times)

Over the two seasons we haven't scored first then fallen behind then come back to draw from what I can see (we've conceded first, taken the lead then drawn (wolves, leeds) but not scored first, fallen begin then drawn).

If we concede first it's approximately 1 in 3 that we get any points from it since Doncaster.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Can someone please put this on the main board? I want to see some serious backtracking from the lickers

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
How many cretins on this thread have contradicted themselves tonight?

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Barnes might lose it!!!

But I also see him as a very passionate footballer, who gives it his all for the seagulls..

He kicked off at the ref, just like all the fans where, so the fans must need to buck up there ideas as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here