Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good news and bad news.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
London Irish said:
Even with all the dead people involved, the more appropriate comparison would be Rufus T Firefly's decision to lead Freedonia into war with Slyvania :censored:

Thats different as he`d paid a months rent in the battlefield in advance.Thatcher went to war not on the back of failed economics but because her incompetant staff had failed to see the iminent threat.

Rufus t Firefly incompetant............................ how dare you.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i really dont know where to start on this one.....the argies AND us both had leaders of a failing economy. they invaded to gain popularity amongst their people, and, although we new it was going to happen did nothing to re-inforce the guard down there to stop it. thatcher let it happen so she could re-claim the islands and boost HER popularity. in short, a lot of people died for political gain. i was then and still am now anti thatcher...............and before anyone jumps on my back i was down there (along with a few others from this board it would appear) i came very close to losing my life on 2 occasions and unfortunately left 3 of my closest friends down there that id joined the royal marines with 6 years previously

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Re: Re: Good news and bad news.

hove born&bred said:
You dirty disgusting communist scumbag get off this board.

You are right. It was uncalled for.

A peaceful death in hospital is far too good for the bitch.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
El Presidente said:

Currently the Falklands costs the taxpayer wasted millions every month.

Maybe, but it's worth every penny in my opinion because of the enormously rich deposits of oil known to be in the vicinity of the islands. The problem is getting at the oil which is situated in very deep water. With the price of oil at or near a high, however, it won't be too long before a large oil company sets up a drilling programme and the oil starts to flow.

:wave:

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Zebedee said:
Maybe, but it's worth every penny in my opinion because of the enormously rich deposits of oil known to be in the vicinity of the islands. The problem is getting at the oil which is situated in very deep water. With the price of oil at or near a high, however, it won't be too long before a large oil company sets up a drilling programme and the oil starts to flow.

:wave:

Hmmm.......going to war to secure oil, we would never do that now would we:jester:

chip said:
You also have the rather bizarre notion that your opinion is actually correct and happily miss the point that the people of Gibralta and the Faulklands want to be under British dominion. You were probably bullied at school and not very accomplished academicaly.

:) Dearie me.

OK, grasping your key point, so you think this tiny, tiny colony of 1,800 people, a bizarre anachronism left over from Britain's imperial joyriding around the globe of the last 200 years, a barren bunch of rocks that no two people in a pub in Britain had ever heard of prior to 1982, THESE ROCKS should be allowed to dictate our nation's foreign policy in the region, even to the point of war and large loss of life?

It's the modern statesmanship of a Rufus T Firefly mixed in with the common sense perspective of a Dr Strangelove.

And in your next attempt to parade your academic accomplishments, a sensible precaution would be to run a spellcheck, eh?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dearie me, we find two unihabited islands that nobody wanted and found suitable for sheep farming so colonise it for over 150 years without any interference from other countries but maintaining links with the home country (most of them were Scots originally) and when threatened want help suddenly find everyone is debating whether or not they are worth helping.

Heaven help any distant relative of yours needing help at any time. :p

Yorkie said:
Dearie me, we find two unihabited islands that nobody wanted and found suitable for sheep farming so colonise it for over 150 years without any interference from other countries but maintaining links with the home country (most of them were Scots originally) and when threatened want help suddenly find everyone is debating whether or not they are worth helping.

Heaven help any distant relative of yours needing help at any time. :p

The best help your relative could have given was to be advised to accept the compromise soveirgnty deal that was on the table in the 1970s, which would have taken the entire islands out of a war zone for good. That way, he or she wouldn't now be spending the rest of their life tripping over unexploded munitions :)

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
London Irish said:
OK, grasping your key point, so you think this tiny, tiny colony of 1,800 people, a bizarre anachronism left over from Britain's imperial joyriding around the globe of the last 200 years, a barren bunch of rocks that no two people in a pub in Britain had ever heard of prior to 1982, THESE ROCKS should be allowed to dictate our nation's foreign policy in the region, even to the point of war and large loss of life?

Yes, I do and I think your politics are probably sympathetic to the protection of the rights of minorities (aren't they?)

These people are British citizens and I suspect they are bothered by the ownership of their 'tiny, tiny colony'. It's a sad day if our country cannot protect the citizenship of it's people - no matter if they are in a minority or not.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thatcher did many great things that many people in their 40s should appreciate, I certainly benefited from her reforms and mortgage availability etc.

She also reformed the Unions (finally) and had a very good run as the opposition was totally inept - Kinnock et all. No offence to the Welsh but never a Welsh leader in a month of Sundays.

No matter what you think she made many changes for the better.

One thing I never realised though was Conservatives did create a nation of haves and nots and a North / South divide - I never realised this till 5 years in exile in the Midlands in the late 80s.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
The best help your relative could have given was to be advised to accept the compromise soveirgnty deal that was on the table in the 1970s, which would have taken the entire islands out of a war zone for good. That way, he or she wouldn't now be spending the rest of their life tripping over unexploded munitions :)

I'll pass that on to the 93 year old lady in question.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
London Irish said:

So if I moved into your house and refused to budge you would negotiate a compromise deal so we all live together ?

Do me a favour - you pander to every sympathetic cause going.

DJ Leon said:
Yes, I do and I think your politics are probably sympathetic to the protection of the rights of minorities (aren't they?)

These people are British citizens and I suspect they are bothered by the ownership of their 'tiny, tiny colony'. It's a sad day if our country cannot protect the citizenship of it's people - no matter if they are in a minority or not.

Fine, completely ignore the legitimacy of Argentina's territorial claim to the islands.

Yorkie said:
I'll pass that on to the 93 year old lady in question.

Good stuff - I hope she is as happy and settled in her life as the far larger communities of Welsh sheep-farming settlers in Patagonia. Don't hear them complaining about their lot, do you? :)

DJ Leon said:

Splendid - enjoy reliving your little fantasies of a lost time when the pink hue of the British Empire coloured half the globe ;)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
Fine, completely ignore the legitimacy of Argentina's territorial claim to the islands.

They don't have a claim. There has never been any Argentian living on those islands apart from the invasion force of young teenagers sent in May dressed in cotton fatigues because they didn't even know what the climate was like.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
Good stuff - I hope she is as happy and settled in her life as the far larger communities of Welsh sheep-farming settlers in Patagonia. Don't hear them complaining about their lot, do you? :)

As far as I am aware they haven't had anyone marching in demanding that they hand over their farms.

Yorkie said:
Can you name one?

Actually I can.

Another classic NSC, unfortunately I was late in spotting it.

Two classic Thatcher themes the War and her destruction of the heavy industry in Britain.

Personally I hated her. On a proud Cnd march in Lewes around 1980 I had a tannoy and let rip with many a Maggie Maggie Maggie ....Out Out Out.

I depised her and that callous Government.

A large number and in fact a majority of my non Albion friends were miners, or relatives of miners. The so called "enemy within"

For example 1984 Miners employed in Wakefield District 26,000
1992 only 4,500 were employed.

Most miners did not move to Selby. The redundancies were good especially for miners who had done their time. My mate Carl finally gave up mining 2003 he last worked at Selby . He hasn't worked since.

Because of my work I also know loads of steelworkers. No they were not happy at losing their jobs. Many never worked again.

1982 unemployment in Mexborough (steel area) 30%. South Yorks has never ever recovered. In 1999 it was awarded by the EC Objective 1 status, identifying it as one of the poorest regions in Europe. A legacy of Thatcherism.

The communities around Barnsley, Wakefield, Mansfield have broken down, in villages and small towns crime and drugs are prevalent. BBC identified in 2003 that 1 in 2 under 25's were addicted to smack.

A legacy of a community that collasped over night due to the closure of its main employment and related industries.

There are few people I really hate but that women is one of them.

Love

LC

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here